Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shogun Primo Sport Tange 900 CR-MO

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Shogun Primo Sport Tange 900 CR-MO

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-08, 07:15 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by Paulnhbtx
I think I found a new hobby. When ever I see a bike reasonably priced or in the trash I will save it and get it running......
He, heh, (evil laugh). Another one, ain't it cool.

Someday, you'll be sitting in a circle in some church basement, telling a group of strangers, "My name is Paul, and I am a C & V bike person." And they'll all nod their heads, "Hey, Paul..."

Our motto will be, "there's no cure, and who wants one?"

My work here is done....., heh, heh.

Welcome to BF, and don't hesitate to ask questions. If I don't know the answer or can't make up a credible lie, there's a multitude of seriously talented and experienced folks here that will help you. Many of them have forgotten more than I'll ever know about bikes.

Now, if I can just get you hooked on Centurions, .....
Old 07-30-23, 12:40 PM
sumrubrhd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Shogun Primo Sport in Orange/White, bought brand new from shop for about $325. Have not found out much about this bike except here. Have a 12-speed Shimano derailleur (marked "Lite Action" on rear derailleur arm). Trying to find out how much the Tange 900 CR-MO frame weighs compared to other touring bikes. Ride it for about 25 to 30 minutes over 5 to 6 miles. Not sure how well it would handle longer rides. Has quick release hubs and lighter wheels.

Last edited by sumrubrhd; 08-18-23 at 01:25 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 07-30-23, 03:50 PM
Lamont Cobb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Paulnhbtx
When ever I see a bike reasonably priced or in the trash I will save it and get it running....
Now you're talking!
Old 08-06-23, 04:04 AM
Minion1

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
From memory between 2.5 and 2.9kg for a complete 900 frame - there is a tange tubing profile doc I think on velobase, IIRC the lightest full tubing set from Tange was 2.1kg unfortunately google is currently blocking velobase on my PC for some reason. The exact weights for 900 DB frames were missing, but the frames on either side on the table were 2.5 and .29kg.
Old 08-18-23, 01:28 PM
sumrubrhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for weight information, Minion1. How does that compare to new touring bikes?
Old 08-18-23, 01:29 PM
sumrubrhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have pictures of my bike, but can't upload due to site restrictions.
Old 08-20-23, 04:24 AM
Minion1

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
I'm not sure how it would compare to a modern touring frameset since my only touring bike is a Cannondale t400 in aluminium. The majority of modern tourers afaik will be aluminium, so weight may be close ride quality will be quite different, especially since most will also stock a carbon fork. I'm not sure what tube set is really going to be popular these days for a touring bike, but something like the Soma wolverine would be a fairly good comparison.

I really like my Shogun, which I think (cannot find confirmation online on the tubing, frame decal is long gone, and it's an Australian Shogun not a Canadian one) is made with Tange 900, I call it the 80 per cent bike - springy, stiff under acceleration, racy geometry, and I would have to spend a considerable amount to get a Steel bike which would improve on the ride - may be a smidge lighter, stiffer for a heavier rider etc. but not drastically improving the ride.

My only quibble is I'm having trouble upgrading it - rear wheel spacing is 126mm, and the stock wheels are boat anchors, and I'm not comfortable with jamming 130mm rear wheels in there. Also, the RSX group, while not the top end, is in really, really good condition, it's nice and shiny and I'm trying to wear it out before replacing it. Even with those caveats, (and as an owner of 4 Cannonades) the ride is still really good and even though I haven't weighed the whole bike, and have swapped bar stem and seat post, the weight and balance is pretty good.

Last edited by Minion1; 08-20-23 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Trying to make words make sense.