Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Replacing a tire that has never flatted

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-08, 11:18 AM
Okiegonian
&!

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs (cx), Bridgestone 400 (commuter), Giant Upland (rigid mtb), 60's Schwinn Hollywood (sweetness)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been rolling on Bontrager Hard Case 700x25C's for the past 10 months, with ~2500 miles of commuting and touring. This has included ridiong over glass, curbs, gravel, hailstones, singletrack, thorn bushes - I like to pretend that my commuter is a mountain bike... Through all this, I've NEVER had a flat; I've even gone months without needing to add any pressure to keep them above 100 psi.

Last weekend while riding I suddenly noticed an annoying "floop! floop! floop! floop!..." every time my rear wheel made a revolution. I kept riding, pretty sure that the leaf or whatever would work it's way off quickly. It didn't go away, so I finally stopped and found a sticky strip of rubber stuck to my tire. I thought it was interesting that the strip was pretty well centered and lined up with the tire. It peeled off easily, and I continued on my way, and didn't think about it again... until the next day.

When I hopped on the bike the next day, I noticed the exact same "floop! floop! floop!" start up the my first 1/4 mi. This time I actually inspected the tire, only to realize that the center strip of rubber was missing from at least half of the tire's diameter. I was riding right on the kevlar belt. On closer inspection, I've found about a half dozen spots on the other half of the tire where giant chunks are missing from the rubber and the kevlar can be seen.

I have NO IDEA how long I've been riding on a tire in that bad of shape. As I said, I've had no flats, so I had gotten into a habit of completely ignoring my tires. I have full fenders, so the rear tire tread is hidden from a casual glance.

Here's my question: should I replace with the same tire, since no flats has been pretty darn nice, or should I try something new, since deteriorating rubber is pretty darn sketchy...? I've had one person tell me that tires shouldn't fall apart like that in less than a year, but on the other hand, I ride hard and have put a decent number of miles on them.
Old 08-14-08, 11:42 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
I'm with you 100%. Either the same or different.

Last edited by capejohn; 08-14-08 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-14-08, 12:33 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I had the same thing happen to the Bontrager Race Lites I had on last year. The center strip was just glued on, and the glue started to come off after about 4500 miles. I only flatted the rear once, the front not at all, but I don't attribute that to the tires, just to no significant road hazards on my route. I replaced them with Top Touring 2000s because someone gave me a pair.
Old 08-14-08, 01:01 PM
bikinpolitico
Bicycle Utopian

Bikes: Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Softride Qualifier, Ritchey Breakaway Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, replace the tires. 2500 miles is a reasonable about on tires. While it may not affect whether you get a flat, the lose of tread will affect how the tires handle and in an emergency stop, you could have a catastrophic failure (that's bad.) Go ahead and spring for the $50-60 to get a new set of tires. If you are happy with the Bontrager, stick with it. My experience with Continental tires is very good, especially the Gator Skins, if you want to try a different brand.
Old 08-14-08, 04:59 PM
Okiegonian
&!

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs (cx), Bridgestone 400 (commuter), Giant Upland (rigid mtb), 60's Schwinn Hollywood (sweetness)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh I will definitely replace the tire that's losing rubber, the question is whether they've made it through a reasonable amount of wear before falling apart, or should I go with a different brand/model that will hold together better in the long run.

While I've been amazed that they've never flatted, I am dissapointed that the center strip pulls off so easily after being damaged in an isolated spot.
Old 08-14-08, 06:05 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I just had to replace a Race Lite Hardcase 700x28 (rear) at 3,250 miles because the center strip split in two places.

I replaced it with the same but if it happens again, it's back to Gatorskins.
Old 08-14-08, 06:30 PM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Replacing a tire that has been ridden to shreds.
Old 08-14-08, 08:20 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Same tire, why mess with something that works.

I'm interested to hear what tubes you're running. I couldn't go a week without adding air, much less months.
Old 08-14-08, 08:32 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Something that works?

I've never had any of my various tires even come CLOSE to shedding rubber like that. I'd not only avoid that model of tire but that brand as well. There's absolutely no excuse at all for any tire to shed the tread like that in only 10 months.

I'd be emailing Bontrager and telling them I'm sending their tire back collect for them to study. That early a failure of this magnitude is totally assinine and unforgivable.

In case you didn't pick it out among all the ranting I'd suggest you get something different....
Old 08-14-08, 09:39 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Bontrager Select rear tire only made it through 1800 miles. It was flatting on a regular basis, and looking a bit thin, so I replaced it. I thought 1800 miles was pretty good, but wow, you wore the tire through.
Old 08-15-08, 01:17 AM
BCRider

Some of you guys must be running soft compound racing tires or something. I've got tires that have been run through well over 2000 miles over the years and they are still mounted to a bike. The rear is a bit balding in a couple of cases but if I was to "rotate the tires" I'd have another couple of thousand miles before they would require replacement. This includes some old Conti Sport 1000 tires I got from MEC (our northern equivalent of REI) over a decade back and they are still going strong. In fact I'll probably have to toss them because of the rubber hardening. The sidewalls are looking stressed in a few spots these days.

I've got a set of Ritchey Tom Slicks on another regular commuter and again they are going strong after a good 6 to 7 years since purchasing and show no signs at all of shedding tread like an old snake or wearing to a point that requires replacement.
Old 08-15-08, 05:13 AM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BCRider
Something that works?

I've never had any of my various tires even come CLOSE to shedding rubber like that. I'd not only avoid that model of tire but that brand as well. There's absolutely no excuse at all for any tire to shed the tread like that in only 10 months.

I'd be emailing Bontrager and telling them I'm sending their tire back collect for them to study. That early a failure of this magnitude is totally assinine and unforgivable.

In case you didn't pick it out among all the ranting I'd suggest you get something different....

I assume that if he wanted a tire to last forever he would have chosen a different style to start with. There's simply not much rubber on these.

10 months is irrelevant. Not everyone has multiple bikes that, from the sound of your next post, don't get too many miles on them.
Old 08-15-08, 05:54 AM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I ran only Hardcases on my NYC commuter bikes until I switched to a 20" wheel, which you can't get them for. Not a single flat once I stopped using other brands, as far as I can remember. Glass, potholes, nails, pretty much everything but thorns.

I haven't seen them come apart like you describe, but I think I'd accept 2500 rough miles like that as an acceptable tire life. I'd rather replace a zero-flat tire voluntarily after 2500 miles than suffer commute delays and aggravation because of flats over the course of 5000.
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538

Last edited by noteon; 08-15-08 at 06:05 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-16-08, 12:22 PM
Okiegonian
&!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
I'm interested to hear what tubes you're running. I couldn't go a week without adding air, much less months.
Bontragers - they're fairly thick; I should clarify that it was just the couple months that they held air so spectacularly. Recently they've been losing 10 - 20 lbs a day without a detectable/repairable hole.
Old 08-16-08, 12:27 PM
Okiegonian
&!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems like there are mixed opinions, but good thoughts from all - thanks. I went with a new Conti Ultra Gatorskin to replace the rear, and I'll keep the Hardcase on the front until it wears out. I'm interested to see how the conti performs compared to the hardcase - I'll hopefully report back in 10+ months!
Old 08-16-08, 07:02 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The tire only lasted 2500 miles? Wow my armadillo all conditions last closer to 5000.
Old 08-16-08, 07:47 PM
BCRider

Originally Posted by JeffS
I assume that if he wanted a tire to last forever he would have chosen a different style to start with. There's simply not much rubber on these.

10 months is irrelevant. Not everyone has multiple bikes that, from the sound of your next post, don't get too many miles on them.
I didn't always have a collection. For the first bunch of years of commuting I shared the duties first with one only and about the second year with a second bike. The third only came about 6 years in. I ride a little more than 2800 kms a year.

I've had tires that easily have well over 2000 miles total and are still going strong with easily another 2000 miles of life left.

But that's not the point. I can easily understand the rubber wearing in only 2000 miles if they are soft for the grip aspect. I've done some motorcycle racing and my racing tires only lasted 6 days in total. So I understand that aspect. ( $400 tires that only last 6 days means I have nothing at all to complain about when it comes to bicycle tires.... Hell, the really fast guys only get ONE day out of a set and then they can feel the degradation if they try to run them a second day.)

What I can't abide is the tread band peeling from the carcase like the OP had happen. THAT part is unforgivable and screams of inadequite processes in the manufacturing of the tires. There's a lot more equally flat resistant options out there so there's no need to risk the same fate of peeling tread bands by selecting the same tire.
Old 08-16-08, 08:20 PM
Cycliste

Bikes: Surley LHT, Cannondale R1000, IBEX Ignition, Bianchi Boardwalk, KHS Milano Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I expect tires to do 5000+ and this kind of problem would definitely justify a different brand/model.

No flats within 2500 is not that unusual but I am wondering about the frequency you re inflate your tires, I don't believe you can keep 100+ psi for months at a time without adding any air.
Old 08-16-08, 10:32 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 /we carry spare tubes, not spare tires. Imagine being 80mi from home and having a tire die.
Originally Posted by BCRider

What I can't abide is the tread band peeling from the carcase like the OP had happen. THAT part is unforgivable and screams of inadequite processes in the manufacturing of the tires. There's a lot more equally flat resistant options out there so there's no need to risk the same fate of peeling tread bands by selecting the same tire.