Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Coaster brakes with loose bearings

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-23, 09:34 AM
smeeh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi!
I have a Schwinn Cruiser. It worked well for some time and then started to make a rattling noise, probably when braking and when coasting shortly after braking...since that has become a recurring noise. The first time, the bearing cage broke into pieces. I was given a new cage and bearings that the bike mechanic eyeballed as likely the right size. I cleaned and greased and reassembled the hub and it rode fine for a few months and then started rattling again. The cage was broken again. I got more bearings and 'fixed' it again and but left the bearings loose. It rode fine for awhile and is still braking well but it's rattling. No idea what position the bearings might be in now. I've seen some good resources and I will be doing some more research but before I take it apart and repeat my mistakes, I was wondering if it sounds like I might have the wrong size bearings or if something might be worn or too loose or too tight? Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 08-04-23, 10:51 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
https://vimeo.com/133727377
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-04-23, 10:52 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

https://vimeo.com/133813843
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-04-23, 10:53 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-04-23, 11:02 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

1. Coaster Culture coaster brake basics.

2. Coaster Culture coaster brake modifications to include loose balls.

3. RJ the bike guy coaster brake theory of operation.

Difficult to diagnose from afar. How much play is in the wheel? How well did you grease it when reassembled? Did you check the spring and the sheet metal thing that keeps the spring indexed inside the shuttle? Are there pits in the races?

If you’re destroying cages how hard do you ride or how heavy are you? Or maybe riding with it not adjusted correctly?

ETA. Check your spokes.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-04-23, 11:34 AM
smeeh

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for your response and giving me an idea of what to consider.
I'm not riding it heavy or rough. I don't think there is play. The spokes could be trued. I greased it very well. I will check the spring / metal thing and if there are pits in the something called the races Thank you for the links!
Old 08-09-23, 07:47 AM
smeeh

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So, I disassembled the hub and it seems I had forgotten that it was the outside driver bearings that have been the problem. The loose bearings are still in place but there is a gap in the ring that is about equal to the diameter of one bearing. I am wondering if this could cause the rattle. The noise happens when coasting, not pedalling and I believe that it is reduced if I tap the brakes a bit when coasting. As I said, the bike was braking fine but the noise was disconcerting and sounded similar to when the cage fell apart and was loose.

Another possible issue is that the I didn't make note of the placement of the hub on the axle when I first took it apart, 2 or 3 years ago. And, it has an extra nut on the driver side - standard thick nut...same size as the one on the brake side. So, I don't know if I am centering correctly for this bike or if I mistakenly added an extra nut.

Thanks for any help!
Old 08-09-23, 10:49 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by smeeh
So, I disassembled the hub and it seems I had forgotten that it was the outside driver bearings that have been the problem. The loose bearings are still in place but there is a gap in the ring that is about equal to the diameter of one bearing. I am wondering if this could cause the rattle. The noise happens when coasting, not pedalling and I believe that it is reduced if I tap the brakes a bit when coasting. As I said, the bike was braking fine but the noise was disconcerting and sounded similar to when the cage fell apart and was loose.

Another possible issue is that the I didn't make note of the placement of the hub on the axle when I first took it apart, 2 or 3 years ago. And, it has an extra nut on the driver side - standard thick nut...same size as the one on the brake side. So, I don't know if I am centering correctly for this bike or if I mistakenly added an extra nut.

Thanks for any help!
The second paragraph sounds like a chain line difference. I don’t that’s likely to rattle if you’re coasting.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-09-23, 11:24 AM
smeeh

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you. Watching RJ The Buy Guy's video, I don't see anything that would rattle like that when coasting except the bearings, considering that the brakes were working. (Presumably the outside bearings are moving similarly to the inside bearings.) So, I guess I will try to find better fitting bearings and see if that helps.
Likes For smeeh:
Old 08-09-23, 01:18 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Thank you. Watching RJ The Buy Guy's video, I don't see anything that would rattle like that when coasting except the bearings, considering that the brakes were working. (Presumably the outside bearings are moving similarly to the inside bearings.) So, I guess I will try to find better fitting bearings and see if that helps.
Watch the coaster culture videos.

They show how many and what size loose bearings.

My experience with that kind of rattle is loose cones or cracked bearing cage.
Loose cones because I didn’t tighten up the jam nut enough.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-09-23, 02:00 PM
smeeh

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks.I have watched and rewatched them but thanks for the nudge. Went back and found the right spot on the video.
He uses ten 1/4" bearings. I can only fit nine. Against my ruler they are slightly over 1/4". So that is hopefully solved

As for tightening, I just redid it to make sure it was packed in well and added more grease. There is a vibration on the brake side that becomes a bumping if I tighten it more. Not sure if it should be totally smooth or if some drag is normal. Maybe I could go looser but there is no play at the moment. I used to have a good video for that.

Thanks again!
Old 08-10-23, 05:26 PM
smeeh

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I put the hub back together and did a short test ride and it's riding pretty rough. It both seems too tight and too loose...meaning the wheels didn't roll backwards freely when I first tried it but also I can move the wheel back and forth, although not a huge amount. When I have the bearings, I will clean it up and repack it carefully and maybe it will be better then.

All that being said, every time I brake, it's different. Sometimes, it feels slightly soft and like the brakes are grabbing and working. Then the next time, it feels and sounds like I'm hitting metal. It brakes but not quite as well. This was also the case the first two times I decided to open it up. I'm just wondering if this sounds like something obvious.
Old 08-15-23, 12:51 PM
smeeh

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi Schweinhund
Thank you for your responses.
It's a falcon cf-e10. I think you found me on my other post. Would you still suggest 6mm balls?

I figured that once I got the right sized bearings, I would clean it up again and see it I can find any problems with the parts. It was riding smoothly the previous two times I repacked it but only for a few months. But then, I've probably had the wrong bearings.
Old 08-15-23, 12:51 PM
smeeh

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old 08-15-23, 11:33 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Hi Schweinhund
Thank you for your responses.
It's a falcon cf-e10. I think you found me on my other post. Would you still suggest 6mm balls?

I figured that once I got the right sized bearings, I would clean it up again and see it I can find any problems with the parts. It was riding smoothly the previous two times I repacked it but only for a few months. But then, I've probably had the wrong bearings.
Riding it every day for a few months between rebuilds?

Maybe you stumbled upon it’s required time between overhaul?
Old 08-19-23, 10:57 AM
smeeh

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe the first time but since then I have not been getting enough riding in. And since I seem to be right about the bearing size being wrong, hopefully I can get a longer ride when I do get the right bearings in.

Last edited by smeeh; 08-19-23 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-19-23, 10:59 AM
smeeh

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Schweinhund Maybe for next year - I'll keep an eye out for a replacement - but for the moment, bearings would be a lot easier to pick up. I would have bought them by now but you are saying they should be 6mm and Coaster Culture says 1/4" (6.35mm)...so I guess I need to find a tie breaker
Old 08-20-23, 06:20 PM
smeeh

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Likes For smeeh: