Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

My Trek 950 touring rig.. good build?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-08, 01:54 PM
limelight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Been working hard this summer and selling things left and right on craigs list/ebay. Finaly after tons of research and learning all about bike and still so much more to learn my touring rig is coming together...At least the parts are.

I’ve taken a 1995 Trek Single Track Mountain Bike and striped its trashed components and ordered new/used ones from eBay. I have never built a bike before so this is all new and exciting for me! I have an appointment at the bike kitchen by where I work in Hollywood. They have all the tools I need and are going to help me build it. I was wondering if any knows how well these parts work together and what do you think of my ride?
+Shimano XT Rear Deraillure M761 AGA long cage NEW
+Shimano XT M735 31.8mm
+Shimano LX Crankset M583-K 170mm NEW
+Shimano Dura Ace 9 speed bar end shifters NEW
+Dia Compe Road Break Levers (These are cool and vintage!)(problems?!)
+Shimano R500 Cantilever Break set
+Randonneur Handlebar (Sweet Look! https://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?id=1347)
+Brooks B17 saddle
+Ortlib front and rear rollers.
+Old man mountain low rider rack
I have a wheel set with Shimano Deore XTR 36 hole hubs, DT swiss double butted spokes and Mavic XT 517 rims.

Left on the list is:
Rear rack, Fenders, Bar tape, A chain, Lights
I used all the research I did on these forum to get this far and I’m getting there!
I hope to have it all together by the end of next week and start a pacific coast tour from Vancouver to my home in Los Angeles.
I still need a tent and stove, not to mention make a packing list.
Ill posts some pics in a bit of the bike so far… she’s looking groovy.
Old 08-08-08, 03:23 PM
Ashen
Cascadian Nationalist

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sounds like a really sweet bike. I'd love to build one of those things up into a world tourer someday.
Old 08-08-08, 05:24 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You may want to post your question on the mechanic's forum, I think there may be some issues when using road brake levers with cantis.
Old 08-08-08, 06:03 PM
Solomander

Bikes: Litespeed Classic (Campy), Trek 930, Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that road levers and cantis are ok, but road levers and v-brakes aren't. I have a trek 930 with good components. i will probably just switch to trekking bars and call it a day.

Enjoy your bike.

Joel
Old 08-09-08, 06:29 AM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Solomander
I think that road levers and cantis are ok, but road levers and v-brakes aren't. I have a trek 930 with good components. i will probably just switch to trekking bars and call it a day.

Enjoy your bike.

Joel
Thanks for the clarifaction.
Old 08-15-08, 06:15 PM
mjww
Mike

Bikes: Cignal Silverado MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just did a two week bike tour using a Trek 970 - the same frame as yours. You can check my bike out at https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?...c_id=3878&v=Cj . No problems with the bike at all, even with the frame modifications i made.

Mike
Old 08-15-08, 07:05 PM
tchoke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey mike
actually read your blog couple of days ago
sucked that the trailer broke on you...
anyhow just wanted to say youve inspired me and i plan on doing a mini long bike ride lol
im a begginer but will be doing a 50km+ tommorow
long for me lol
thanks
Old 08-15-08, 09:18 PM
BikeManDan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Kitchen is pretty awesome, visited once. Helpful volunteers, lots of tools but always busy and in a very cramped space. Make an appointment if you already haven't.

I'm myself building up a 90s Trek 800 into a tourer right now. Looks like you'll have a nice build on your hands, reading the list seems like everything should jive together just fine.
Old 08-16-08, 07:54 PM
Cycliste

Bikes: Surley LHT, Cannondale R1000, IBEX Ignition, Bianchi Boardwalk, KHS Milano Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the R550 canti with the dia-compe break levers (new ones) on my LHT and really like them. Cantis work well with road levers, the problem is with Vbrakes. The dura-ace bar ends are awesome.

The long cage XT is a good choice as you will probably want to have a 30+ granny.

Alignment: Does your new rear wheel aligns well with the frame? If not, it may need to be re-dished, otherwise you're gonna have any kind of problems from break to chainstays rub.

You also want to find out the right width of BB axle once your new rear wheel is in place for best chain alignment. You may also want to find out what type of cassette you can fit in (8, 9)? Will a 9spd fit, any potential chain rub while in small sprocket?

You can probably keep the original head set, if it doesn't turn smoothly just re-pack it after making sure the bearings are in good condition. Put new ones if necessary.

I had a randonneur handlebar at first but didn't like the top bar position (uncomfortable) so I changed to a nitto classic.

Good luck with your project.

Originally Posted by limelight
Been working hard this summer and selling things left and right on craigs list/ebay. Finaly after tons of research and learning all about bike and still so much more to learn my touring rig is coming together...At least the parts are.

I’ve taken a 1995 Trek Single Track Mountain Bike and striped its trashed components and ordered new/used ones from eBay. I have never built a bike before so this is all new and exciting for me! I have an appointment at the bike kitchen by where I work in Hollywood. They have all the tools I need and are going to help me build it. I was wondering if any knows how well these parts work together and what do you think of my ride?
+Shimano XT Rear Deraillure M761 AGA long cage NEW
+Shimano XT M735 31.8mm
+Shimano LX Crankset M583-K 170mm NEW
+Shimano Dura Ace 9 speed bar end shifters NEW
+Dia Compe Road Break Levers (These are cool and vintage!)(problems?!)
+Shimano R500 Cantilever Break set
+Randonneur Handlebar (Sweet Look! https://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?id=1347)
+Brooks B17 saddle
+Ortlib front and rear rollers.
+Old man mountain low rider rack
I have a wheel set with Shimano Deore XTR 36 hole hubs, DT swiss double butted spokes and Mavic XT 517 rims.

Left on the list is:
Rear rack, Fenders, Bar tape, A chain, Lights
I used all the research I did on these forum to get this far and I’m getting there!
I hope to have it all together by the end of next week and start a pacific coast tour from Vancouver to my home in Los Angeles.
I still need a tent and stove, not to mention make a packing list.
Ill posts some pics in a bit of the bike so far… she’s looking groovy.