Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wool Cycling Gear

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wool Cycling Gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-11, 07:04 AM
Nassa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wool Cycling Gear

Hello,

Does anybody have any experience with wool jersey, shorts and/or socks?
I have read that they work well in hot and cold temperatures but would like some actual feedback. Does the fabric itch at all? Get too wet with sweat?
I was thinking about purchasing from here anybody else purchased from them?

Thanks for looking
Old 10-07-11, 07:08 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Merino wool base layers and socks are superb. They wick well, stay warm when wet, don't itch and don't stink. Can't comment on the specific brands in your link.
Old 10-07-11, 07:37 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I have several short-sleeved wool jerseys and long-sleeved tops. My long-sleeved tops are merino wool, and as for itching, they vary. I have some that do itch a little bit, so I wear a sleeveless jersey under them. But others are great, very soft. And I'm usually more comfortable with a sleeveless jersey under my short-sleeved wool jerseys.

They do work very well in cool temperatures. The last few evenings have been about 10C - 12C, and I've been wearing a sleeveless jersey, a thin merino base layer, and a waterproof breathable jacket ... and I've been quite comfortable.

But for cold temperatures, I like doing a polypro layer, then a merino wool layer, and then a fleece if necessary. That combination has worked very well for me.

I have worn wool up to about 30C, but over 25C, it got hot and rather uncomfortable, so personally, I wouldn't recommend wool for hot temperatures.
Old 10-07-11, 07:59 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Wool works great for shirts and tights. It's really warm for the weight, doesn't stink, doesn't itch and stays warm no matter how wet it gets.

Drawbacks: it's slightly more finicky to wash (depending on the type of wool), it can be hard to find for cheap and it can stretch out of shape more easily (depending on the fiber blend). Top quality wool stuff is hard to beat but can be really expensive.

Given all of this, polypro still wins for me. Helly Hansen Lifa is my personal favorite.
Old 10-07-11, 08:08 AM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ibex is great stuff. I also have Castelli's base layer and I/O Bio's glory hoodie. They itch very slightly, but you get used to it quickly. I wear the hoodie all the time once it gets cold w/ nothing underneath. Wool breathes really well as well.
Old 10-07-11, 09:08 AM
bobbycorno

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'm a big wool fan, but primarily for cool and/or damp weather. Most wool jerseys are too warm for me in 60+ f temps. The exception is my Smartwool "Rambition" jersey. It's "micro-weight" merino, and is great from the low 50's to mid 90's. I have gotten sunburned through it though...

Wool sock are the best, regardless of temp. And one thing about wool that no synthetic can match is its "anti-skank" properties. I can wear the same wool jersey or base layer for a week of commuting and training with no problems. Synthetics (polypro in particular) are good for one day, tops, and then they go in the hazmat bin. But I'm one of those who perspires heavily, regardless of temp. If ya don't sweat, "plastic" may work ok for you.

SP
Bend, OR
Old 10-07-11, 09:11 AM
Nassa

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you share some online sites you purchase your socks and base layers from?
Old 10-07-11, 09:17 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Merino wool is not like that old scratchy Army wool blanket your grandpa has. It is amazingly soft and is great at wicking moisture. It's a bit expensive, but man is it comfortable and great in cool/cold weather.
Old 10-07-11, 09:47 AM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://wabiwoolens.com/

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...8_20000_400068

https://www.ewnr.com/
Old 10-07-11, 09:50 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the only thing wool I can wear is socks. I'm allergic. A wool jersey would kill me.
Old 10-07-11, 09:54 AM
jeebusaurousrex

Bikes: Schwinns

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a thin merino wool jersey from Descente that's very soft and I can ride it in up to 90degF and be okay. Main issue is that the material is thin so rips easily and the seams come apart. It's been mended and I still like it a lot especially for races in the rain.

On the other hand I have a Woolistic merino jersey that's much thicker, heavier, hotter, and durable. BUT it's also relatively itchy and the sizes run slightly large. I've had luck shrinking it in the dryer, but it stretches back out especially if you keep anything in the rear pockets. I like to wear it when commuting in cooler weather (like it's been recently in New York).

Both jerseys stretch if you have anything in the rear pockets, to a point where it's flopping around.

If you can afford stuff like Rapha their merino/synthetic blend seems softer and less stretch-prone than the pure merino jerseys.
Old 10-07-11, 10:04 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
as someone prone to athletes foot, sweaty feet, wool socks are the only way to go for me. I have synthetic bike socks, but really do prefer wool ones, for the breatheability and warmth in cool temps. I even have two pairs of smartwool knee highs that I use for both downhill skiing and for biking in cool temps. So yes on the bike I look like a dork, but my lower legs muscles are warm, so damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!
Old 10-07-11, 10:10 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Whether it itches or not depends on how thick the fibers ( more or less like hair follicles ) are. Finer fibers, smoother and softer feel. Below 17.5 microns, your body can't feel them individually, and they won't make you itch.
Old 10-07-11, 10:18 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Wool is fantastic.It is the only thing I wear, whether it is 15 degrees F or 100 degrees F.
If the fiber diameter is below 20 microns there is no itch. The merino is extremely comfortable. I wear the Giro long sleeve for temps below 65 and the Giro short for anything above, Last nights ride started at 81 and finished at 9 pm around 60 in the short sleeve and was very comfortable. Ibex is a phenomenal company to work with. I also have their tights, shorts and leg warmers. Easy to care for as well. Itis the only material I buy and wear for cycling save a wind breaker from specialized for cold/ windy and rainy or snowy days. Costs more but you won't regret it.
Old 10-07-11, 10:20 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rangerdavid
the only thing wool I can wear is socks. I'm allergic. A wool jersey would kill me.
If you are allergic than why can you tolerate socks. Makes no sense.
Old 10-07-11, 10:39 AM
noise boy

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 300 Posts
I use DeFeet Wooleator socks in the summer, and Woolie Boolie socks in the winter, love them. The coolmax socks tear the bottoms of my feet up.
Old 10-07-11, 10:55 AM
djb

I have coolmax ones that are double layered, nice on the feet, but still are less breathy so more prone to stink and athletes foot if not careful.
Old 10-07-11, 11:46 AM
JoeB14
Huffin' N Puffin

Bikes: Anderson Custom Steel, Trek Madone 5.5, Lightspeed Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a long sleeve merino wool jersey that I bought from Earth Wind and Rider. I't my Fall/Spring favorite. No itchiness, can go longer between washes, beathes well. I also have a merino wall base layer that I use when downhill skiing. Wool works very well for me.
Old 10-07-11, 11:52 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11

Given all of this, polypro still wins for me. Helly Hansen Lifa is my personal favorite.
Widely known as Smelly Hansen over here. Another reason to prefer wool.
Old 10-07-11, 12:14 PM
djb

the Smelly and Helly brothers, well know around this house, along with their cousin Stinky (its amazing how polypro and other synthetic stuff holds such a terrible smell isnt it?)
Old 10-07-11, 12:15 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chasm54
I eventually threw my HH baselayer out because I could not get the stink out of it.
Old 10-07-11, 02:00 PM
ortcutt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear wool year-round: socks, baselayers, and jerseys. One caveat: I've found that my pocketed jerseys tend to sag irritatingly when I cram their pockets full of junk (e.g. cell phone, cleat covers, snacks, and so on). I now compensate with a bigger seat bag (the smallest Gilles Berthoud model). I also look for pocketless jerseys, whose "cleaner" look I appreciate.

Rivendell sells some nice stuff, BTW. It's all well made, if not trendoid-stylish. There's cheaper stuff to be found, though.
Old 10-07-11, 02:20 PM
Entrada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear a short-sleeve wool jersey from 50's to 90's and it's always comfortable. It's does get wetter from sweat, but I live in a very dry area, so that's not an issue. I like thicker socks and always wear wool (Smartwool and a couple of others that I can't remember--no big differences). I have Ibex clothing for x-c skiing, and it's the best wool stuff I've seen--I wear it every time (but you pay for it). Comfort and no smell are the big advantages.
Old 10-07-11, 02:25 PM
invinciblejj

Bikes: Blue Rc4, Litespeed Saber, Blue CX6.5, 1998 Trek 5500, 1991 trek 750, 1989 Schwinn Prologue, Beater Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have really liked my wool jerseys so far. I have been testing out an Ibx Indie SS Jersey and liking it. I have also done reviews on the Smartwool Flagstaff Jersey and Bib Shorts. They were solid and like some of my racier jerseys. I find that the ones with a little polyester and elastane in the mix hold their shape better than the all wool ones. Here are the links to my reviews if you are interested, I also wrote an article on the attributes of wool.

https://ymmvreviews.com/?p=666 - Smartwool Flagstaff Jersey
https://ymmvreviews.com/?p=661 - Smartwool Flagstaff Bib Shorts
https://ymmvreviews.com/?p=710 - Icebreaker Roto SS MTB Jersey

JJ
YMMV Reviews
Old 10-07-11, 02:50 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
To be fair, when it comes right out of the wash, or when you're completely saturated in your own sweat, wool can take on the "wet sheep smell." But this goes away when it dries, and stops happening after a few washes. The stuff never really smells like human body odor, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.