Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Can't attach bar ends on the 2011 Trek 7.5 FX

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 10-08-10, 04:48 AM
gshutch56

Bikes: Buying a Trek 7.5 Can't wait.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone else discovered this roadblock? The new Bontrager handlebar with Isozone area on the grip is designed in such a way that it's impossible to attach bar ends. If you remove the end cap you can see that the bar isn't round. From Trek: "These bars have a specially shaped area beneath the grip with a unique elastomer insert that is designed to disperse pressure, absorb impact, and reduce vibration."

IMHO, there isn't a flat bar design around that would remove the desire to change hand positions on a ride longer than 30 minutes. I love the bike--I get more comfortable with it every time I ride, but finding out I couldn't attach bar ends is a real disappointment. I get the feeling the IsoZone feature is more a marketing gimmick than anything else. I know I can switch out handlebars but it just rubs me the wrong way to have to spend more money to add them.

Has anyone found bar ends that work with this design?
Old 10-08-10, 07:01 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I would return the bike. That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Seriously. Is the long axis of the oval wider than regular handlebars? If so, how do you get levers off and on? Some levers have two bolt clamps and don't need to be slid on, but most do not as far as I know. I guess lock-on grips aren't an option either.

My new bike has a lot of cheesy components too, but nothing that has gotten in my way like that. These handlebars added cost to your bike while decreasing functionality! Keith Bontrager's name meant something to me once.
Old 10-08-10, 09:01 PM
dpeters11

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek 2.1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe this is what it has, or at least very close.

https://bontrager.com/model/09171
Old 10-09-10, 05:09 AM
gshutch56

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes that's the one. Here's a link that will show a drawing. The end plug is designed to fit in the notch at the end of the handlebar so the grip clamp has surface contact on the entire circumference.

https://bontrager.com/technology/info...ndlebar_system

If anyone is considering this bike, or any other Trek model with this bar system, and want's to be able to ride any distances (and who wouldn't) I would ask your LBS to change it out so you can add bar ends.

If anyone who works for Trek is reading this: you blew it.
Old 10-09-10, 10:25 AM
KungPaoSchwinn

Bikes: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 ( pimp moment )

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
That is one interesting product i am not aware of,nice idea for those who doesn't want bar ends on their bikes,is that the whole idea behind this new bar? i have Ergon grips and gel filled gloves and feel no problems,may be swapping for another bar with you lbs is another alternative, good luck.
Old 10-09-10, 12:56 PM
gshutch56

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not a bad idea, just limiting. I'm also thinking I need to add a spacer or two to raise the handlebar a bit to help take some weight off my hands. I thought I saw instructions in one of the forums for doing that but haven't been able to locate them.
Old 05-02-11, 08:16 PM
Gharp23

Bikes: 2013 Felt Z4, 2011 Trek 7.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently got a 2011 7.5fx and am curious about this as well. Bumping old thread in case someone knows of anything,

edit* after reading another thread about this I'm almost sure they don't make anything for these.. so I have decided to customize some bar ends that WILL fit. Should be an interesting diy.

Last edited by Gharp23; 05-02-11 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-02-11, 09:05 PM
jimbojonez

Bikes: 2011 Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 7.5 FX and replaced the handlebars and grips and added bar ends. Here is a write up i did about it on my blog https://bartsbiking.com/?p=510
Old 05-02-11, 09:22 PM
BS87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gharp23
I recently got a 2011 7.5fx and am curious about this as well. Bumping old thread in case someone knows of anything,

edit* after reading another thread about this I'm almost sure they don't make anything for these.. so I have decided to customize some bar ends that WILL fit. Should be an interesting diy.
If you do, post it up! Thats my summer DIY also
Old 05-16-11, 09:37 AM
Gharp23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: png
mDUc5.png (25.0 KB, 265 views)

Last edited by Gharp23; 08-29-11 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-16-11, 10:40 AM
jimbojonez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck, let us know how it goes, but there is no way those can support an adult male leaning with their weight into it.
Old 05-16-11, 11:14 AM
hlothery

Bikes: Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1st post on this forum. I bought a 7.5FX last week, and was also disappointed to find I couldn't get bar ends, although my shop offered to swap out the bars at no cost. I like riding with the Isozone grips, my hands actually feel better than with bar ends, but would like the ability to change position more. I e-mailed Bontrager with these concerns, and just received a reply that there will be compatable bar ends available for the Isozone bars in June, with pricing anticipated to be similar to existing bar ends on the market. I will be watching for them.

Nice to meet you all.
Old 05-16-11, 11:25 AM
BS87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome info Gharp and Hlothery. I was trying to create "adapter" but to be honest, it wasn't quite coming out as i had hoped.
Old 05-16-11, 11:48 AM
Gharp23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hlothery
I e-mailed Bontrager with these concerns, and just received a reply that there will be compatable bar ends available for the Isozone bars in June, with pricing anticipated to be similar to existing bar ends on the market. I will be watching for them.
Sounds great! I'll be on the lookout for those. Something they should have done in the first place! good to know they are listening at least.
Old 05-16-11, 07:39 PM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
although it sucks u cant attach bar ends on it, these hand grips are some of the best i've ever used. i hate the ones on my 09 7.2 (and they would turn as i rode too -wtf?) and even the ones on my 7.7 i didnt like... these have a nice feel to them and they're comfy. i've done 30 mile rides and my hands haven't gotten numb or any odd feeling like i had on the other bikes.
Old 05-19-11, 08:40 PM
rod330

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hlothery
1st post on this forum. I bought a 7.5FX last week, and was also disappointed to find I couldn't get bar ends, although my shop offered to swap out the bars at no cost. I like riding with the Isozone grips, my hands actually feel better than with bar ends, but would like the ability to change position more. I e-mailed Bontrager with these concerns, and just received a reply that there will be compatable bar ends available for the Isozone bars in June, with pricing anticipated to be similar to existing bar ends on the market. I will be watching for them.

Nice to meet you all.
I also emailed Trek and received the same response:

Thanks for your email. We are actually working on having aftermarket bar-ends available for those bars currently. Once we do have them available, we will be notifying all of our dealers so they can get some ordered for you.
Old 05-23-11, 07:11 AM
hlothery

Bikes: Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FYI. Having now had several rides with these bars and grips, I really like them. My hands feel much better during a ride than they did with my prior bar ends and grip tape. I will certainly investigate the bar ends when they are available.....you can't get too many hand position options, IMHO. But, I have no complaints with the Isobars and grips.
Old 06-20-11, 01:54 PM
G47

Bikes: Trek FX 7.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I found the mirror. It is the LTD Mirrycle for Bontrager Satellire Isozone Grip.
I spoke with Mirrcycle customer service (303) 442-3212 and found out that the mirror was designed for the Hande bars on the FX treks. Trek dealers can get this part from Trek and should have them in stock. Assembly Instructions are at https://www.mirrycle.com/instructions/ltd-mirror-instructions-english-german.pdf

Last edited by G47; 06-20-11 at 02:08 PM. Reason: bad url
Old 06-20-11, 02:10 PM
G47

Bikes: Trek FX 7.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.mirrycle.com/instructions...ish-german.pdf
Old 06-20-11, 06:04 PM
b1g bleu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice grip, looks like a little more drastic proportions that came on my Roam. It would've been nice for Giant to offer some matching bar ends as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1896.jpg (92.2 KB, 181 views)
Old 06-21-11, 11:16 AM
Gharp23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have successfully put bar ends on the isozone handlebars. I used the mirrycle extension, but added some rubber strips around it to fit the bar ends I got, added a washer with screw on the ends to make it more secure. Works fine and supports my upper body weight. Will post pictures this afternoon and instructions if anyone wants to do it too.

Last edited by Gharp23; 06-22-11 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-22-11, 07:26 PM
Gharp23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
:d

Last edited by Gharp23; 08-29-11 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-01-11, 09:45 AM
Robv2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm so disappointed with Trek. I bought a 7.3FX a few months ago because I got a good deal on the bike. I originally planned on getting a 7.2 but was talked into the 7.3 by the LBS because of a special sale they were having. Now I'm stuck with buyers remorse because of the lack of bar end options for this bike. Any money I saved from getting such a good price on the bike will be wiped out due to replacing the bar and grips or as
someone else previously stated "These handlebars added cost to the bike while decreasing functionality!". Now Trek has made the situation even worse buy lying to their customers. When Trek received the 1st complaints about the bar end issue, they told people including me that "Trek would release comparable bar ends for the Isozone bars in June". It's now July 1st and available in June has turned into " within the next few months". I can't keep waiting to see when or if Trek follows thru and actually releases compatible bar ends.
A few mounts ago I decided to get serious about my health. I spent the last 8 weeks prepping to run my 1st 5k, which I just completed. My next goal was to ride a metric century this year and a full one next year. For distance riding I would think bar ends would be almost a requirement. Little did I know that I was buying the only bike model in the world that prevents people from easily adding a common accessory.
Now I have to decide if I sale my almost new bike at a loss to replace it with a Sirrus or trash the brand new bar and grips for something else. It's really frustrating because I like the bike overall but can't help the nagging feeling that I was cheated.
Old 07-01-11, 10:53 AM
derf36

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robv2
I'm so disappointed with Trek....
Now I have to decide if I sale my almost new bike at a loss to replace it with a Sirrus or trash the brand new bar and grips for something else. It's really frustrating because I like the bike overall but can't help the nagging feeling that I was cheated.
take a deep breath and step away from the edge

relax, I'm sure Trek didn't single you out to cheat you. Having bar ends isn't going to stop you from doing a metric century, just get out there and do it. Waiting for bar ends gives you something to look forward to. relax, you bought yourself a good bike. Save your 'nagging feelings' for something a little more worthwhile.

Last edited by derf36; 07-01-11 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-01-11, 10:59 AM
jimbojonez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did 2 centuries and many 80 mile plus rides last year on a peice of **** bike with no ergon grips or bar ends. Yes i am way more comfortable this year with bar ends and Ergon grips, but using that as a reason not to do miles is just an excuse.

Yes it is a very bad design choice by Trek, But its been all over these forums and on Trek's FAQ that you cant add bar ends, yes it sucks but i knew that full well when i bought my 7.5fx and replaced the handlebars.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.