Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Where Did Your Hybrid Take You Today?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Where Did Your Hybrid Take You Today?

Old 07-05-11, 01:30 PM
Kerrvillian

Bikes: Trek 7200 25" frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To Comfort and back again!

From my driveway to High's in Comfort, TX. The round trip of 43 miles. My longest ride, ever.

Along the way I was passed by two young and curvy females on road bikes. The thought came unbidden as their tightly clad posteriors grew smaller and smaller in the distance...

I need a new, faster, bike!

I didn't try to take their photo but on my way into Comfort I did happen to snap images of some alpacas (I guess that's what they were). These seemed to be either very young or miniature. Much smaller than the ones I normally see on ranches around the area.

After putting my phone away it was time for me to reach the apex of my course, a small but delighful cafe and store known as "Highs" on Main St. in Comfort.

I had a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich with tomato on (what else in Texas?) Texas toast. Then it was time to turn back the way I came, slogging through headwinds for much of the trip.

My previous longest ride had been 29 and today I did 43. The extra 14 miles was a LOT for someone as new to riding as I am. I want to thank my new Aerotech bib shorts and Chamois Butt'r, Monster energy drinks and Trigger, my bike who puts up with a lot of idiocy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Small and baby alpacas 3.jpg (62.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg
Comfort 1.jpg (103.4 KB, 38 views)
Old 07-05-11, 05:20 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My ride video from Sunday. I went with my dad.

Old 07-05-11, 05:31 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg
Do you guys enjoy the timelapse videos I have been doing? I haven't gotten around to actually recording until Sunday. I will edit the video and have it ready tomorrow (Tues June 5). But if you guys don't really like the videos, I will stop. I need to know. Thanks
I enjoy the videos, in fact you inspired me to make a few myself and post them here. The only problem I've had is coming up with video that is noticeably different from what I've already posted. It all tends to look the same, so I'd suggest you put one up once in a while, not too often, and people won't get bored with it.

There is a guy who posted here often and every picture he posted was a movie. Instead of a still of his bike, he'd post a video pointing out various features of the bike. That was pretty cool. He has a small capacity memory card that can only hold one minute of video, so his movies were never too long.

I don't know why YouTube lets you put up 15 minutes, they only allow me 10 minutes max. I'd like to be able to speed up my videos like you do, but I suspect that requires software I don't have. I can't help thinking even ten minutes is a long time for someone to spend watching my ride, but it's hard to edit a 30 minute ride down to ten minutes without making it choppy and hard to watch. I think I need a smaller memory card.

Adding music helps and having your brother in the frame most of the time made the last video you posted more fun to watch compared to videos with no actor in them.
Old 07-05-11, 05:55 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
I don't know why YouTube lets you put up 15 minutes, they only allow me 10 minutes max. I'd like to be able to speed up my videos like you do, but I suspect that requires software I don't have. I can't help thinking even ten minutes is a long time for someone to spend watching my ride, but it's hard to edit a 30 minute ride down to ten minutes without making it choppy and hard to watch.
Since like mid 2010, YouTube allows for 15min video uploads. For some reason, YouTube also granted me access to be able to upload videos as long as 4 hours! My good friend also got that privilege from YouTube. I have no idea why YouTube was randomly giving out that ability.
Old 07-05-11, 05:58 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Way to up the miles, Kerrvillian!

ADogg, probably too jerky for most viewers, but I enjoyed it.
Old 07-05-11, 06:03 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Since like mid 2010, YouTube allows for 15min video uploads. For some reason, YouTube also granted me access to be able to upload videos as long as 4 hours! My good friend also got that privilege from YouTube. I have no idea why YouTube was randomly giving out that ability.
I didn't have a Youtube account in 2010. I joined recently to upload the videos I've posted here. I edit down to less than ten minutes and they tell me, "Sorry, your video must be ten minutes or less!". So I continue to remove five or ten seconds at a time until YouTube finally agrees that it is indeed less than ten minutes long, which equals about 9:45 in real time.
Old 07-05-11, 08:02 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 245 Posts
92km ride yesterday, longest ride I've ever done - and it nearly killed me. 33C, more than 50% humidity, and I very nearly bonked at the end. Still, had great fun and am looking forward to trying another ride that long. Just need to eat and drink more along the way next time.

Some pictures:

That's a high speed rail line in the background.

Rice farming

Songpu #3 Bridge over the Huangpu River - bike lane on right.

View from the top of the bridge

Nearing the end, about 7km from home. Wasn't sure if I was going to make it home by this point.
Old 07-05-11, 08:06 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Beautiful views ^^

@qmsdc15 I don't know why... I have been a member of YouTube for almost 3 years with one partnered video (means that I get paid for ads to be put in it because it got a lot of views).
Old 07-05-11, 08:54 PM
jimbojonez

Bikes: 2011 Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took a 3 day tour of the '4 Trails Area' in Western Wisconsin. 200 miles total

Link to my blog post https://bartsbiking.com/?p=775

Last edited by jimbojonez; 07-05-11 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-05-11, 08:58 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimbojonez
For some reason, I LOVE this shot. I guess it follows the rule of thirds.
Old 07-05-11, 09:32 PM
jimbojonez

Bikes: 2011 Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For some reason, I LOVE this shot. I guess it follows the rule of thirds.
Thanks, this is my first year really taking photos and i take a lot of trash, but everyone once in a while i find a good one like this at the end of the day.
Old 07-08-11, 04:03 PM
dabird

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I plan on riding my Jamis to work a few times a week starting this Monday so I did a little test run to get an idea of how long it would take. I l live in Southern Indiana just across the river from Louisville, KY. The river forces me to go a few miles out of my way to the only bicycle friendly bridge.

The route into the city is actually pretty nice. it's 6 miles to the bridge from my house and about half of that is a bike path that runs along the top of the levee. The path takes you right past the falls of the ohio state park https://www.fallsoftheohio.org/

Before the lock was built the falls were the only navigational hazard in the Ohio River and the park is home to some of the largest exposed fossil beds in the world
Old 07-12-11, 11:33 AM
Scottrod

Bikes: Giant Sedona DX and a Giant Simple 7 cruiser

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Trip to Foundation Park, Centralia, Illinois

Took a HOT trip into town to the city of Centralia, Illinois Foundation Park. 25Mile Round trip but really Hot and Humid and into a stiff south wind homebound. The heat was just about too much for fat ole man like me! Getting better every ride though!

Link below to photos

https://picasaweb.google.com/1076414...eat=directlink
Old 07-12-11, 02:13 PM
lokeey

Bikes: Mongoose MTB & 2011 Specialized Crosstrail Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Illinois Prairie Path

24.7 miles - round trip. I live in Wheaton, Il and I usually go west on this trail, but decided to go east this time. Not a bad ride. I went 12 miles South yesterday, but had to stop. A storm rolled through and knocked out a few trees blocking the path. I was able to go around a few of them, but the last one was a no go.
Old 07-17-11, 12:36 AM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
W&OD trail from Falls Church to the Waterford Double Cross to the South Mountain Loop and back.

Outside of Leesburg Virginia.

Waterford, Virginia. Blue Ridge Mountains in the distance. I believe South Mountain (in Maryland) is the tallest hill in this picture.

Entrance to The Kennedy Farmhouse .

Cliffs in Maryland across the river from Harper's Ferry, West Virginia.

C&O Canal. People up high.

A closer look.

Tunnel

Riders on the C&O Canal towpath.

White's Ferry

Views from the ferry.

I started too late and had to ride the last couple of hours in darkness.

143 miles, 11:10 elapsed time, avg. speed 12.8 mph.

Last edited by qmsdc15; 07-17-11 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-17-11, 02:45 PM
wiredfoxterror

Bikes: 2006 Trek Rail 2007 Diamondback Dellacruz 1.0 2009 Trek Lime 2009 Jamis Boss Cruiser 7 1980s Nishiki Road Bike 1993 Cannondale R700 (Criterium) 1993 Cannondale V1000 1995 Cannondale M1000 1996 Cannondale Killer V900 1996 Cannondale M900 CAD3 1997 Ca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Downtown Sebastian FL, resting in a breezy spot under a tiki hut mid ride. Snapped with my phone so poor quality!

My first ride on this bike, I just picked it up yesterday at a garage sale - and it's already converted to rapid fire shifters (ESP 9.0 Carbon Composite). A 1997 Cannondale F1000 which is one I didn't already have - and I LOVE the mango color. AND I only paid $75.00 for it. Could only go for about 1.5 hours as my hands couldn't take anymore than that - I'm thinking about trekking bars with ergo grips.

I love this bike so much that if it had a job I'd marry it.
Old 07-17-11, 02:53 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wow, nice ride, WFT!
Old 07-17-11, 03:41 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My hybrid took me to the 16th street mall in Downtown Denver.

I parked my bike on the mall, so I could go into Taco Bell (I know... Bad choice... But my first choice, REALLY good pizza by the name of Anthony's Pizza was closed ).

I came back and found this [strike]on my bike[/strike] zip-tied to my right grip:

Last edited by AlphaDogg; 07-17-11 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-18-11, 07:33 AM
lokeey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wiredfoxterror
Downtown Sebastian FL, resting in a breezy spot under a tiki hut mid ride. Snapped with my phone so poor quality!

My first ride on this bike, I just picked it up yesterday at a garage sale - and it's already converted to rapid fire shifters (ESP 9.0 Carbon Composite). A 1997 Cannondale F1000 which is one I didn't already have - and I LOVE the mango color. AND I only paid $75.00 for it. Could only go for about 1.5 hours as my hands couldn't take anymore than that - I'm thinking about trekking bars with ergo grips.

I love this bike so much that if it had a job I'd marry it.
WOW!!! $75 is a friggin steal! I love it when people find bikes at garage sales. Great find! Enjoy the bike.
Old 07-18-11, 08:01 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lokeey
WOW!!! $75 is a friggin steal! I love it when people find bikes at garage sales. Great find! Enjoy the bike.
Agreed!! That is a great bargin.
Old 07-18-11, 08:04 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

My hybrid took me to the 16th street mall in Downtown Denver.

I parked my bike on the mall, so I could go into Taco Bell (I know... Bad choice... But my first choice, REALLY good pizza by the name of Anthony's Pizza was closed ).

I came back and found this [strike]on my bike[/strike] zip-tied to my right grip:...
If you were here in Kyoto, you'd have about 15 mins to move it or the "Bike Police" (city council) cut the locks and it's impounded. Even the "famous" kryptonite lock is worthless when they collect. Gooooorrrrrnnnnne

At least they leave your lock behind for you...

Last edited by giantcfr1; 07-18-11 at 08:08 AM.
Old 07-21-11, 07:39 PM
lokeey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
If you were here in Kyoto, you'd have about 15 mins to move it or the "Bike Police" (city council) cut the locks and it's impounded. Even the "famous" kryptonite lock is worthless when they collect. Gooooorrrrrnnnnne

At least they leave your lock behind for you...

That sux!

I remember living out there in the early '90s. I visited and stayed in Kyoto a few times. From what I remember, it was always fun riding out there. Especially with so many people on their bikes.
Old 07-25-11, 03:09 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Originally Posted by lokeey
That sux!

I remember living out there in the early '90s. I visited and stayed in Kyoto a few times. From what I remember, it was always fun riding out there. Especially with so many people on their bikes.
This happend to my friend BUT it's his fault. The allocated parking area was only 20 metres away.
Old 07-25-11, 03:10 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Today I took a back street and found this quiet Temple.

Old 07-25-11, 03:57 AM
Berta

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Too hot to ride after 6:30 a., so I rode around for an hour before that in an industrial area of SE Baltimore City. I got bit by flies. I got an ice cream cone from Baskin-Robbins at 6:45 a.m. It was too expensive for what it was but it tasted good after the ride.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.