Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-16, 06:51 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I'm currently interviewing myself. Been at the same (small) company for ~5 years, and have the responsibilities and cred for a QC manager role, but we don't have the bandwidth. The ceiling is right above my head.

I had one on Th of last week that went well, won't be surprised if I get an offer. I won't be as excited about my job, but the pay and (most importantly) ceiling will be way higher as it is a multinational public corporation. Having said that, I'm beginning to realize that this is going to be the case for most other jobs: I won't like them as much, but I'll have more earning and growth potential. Guess that explains why I've stuck around so long.
Tough call. It depends what's more important to you. My dad always left jobs when he got promoted or took jobs where he couldn't be promoted because he liked working with his hands and hated managing other people. But when you live in the midwest sometimes you can afford to take less money do what you like (or at least hate the least). That isn't true everywhere and isn't a choice everyone would choose, especially if you're hoping to get a nest egg. Maybe a few promotions later, you'll find you really like managing things/people. And, if not, offers in hand always make you feel good (and could be used as leverage if possible).

Old 04-21-16, 06:55 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by spectastic
I just spent 30 minutes trying to submit my job application for a position that appears really good, on this website that's painfully FUBAR. It's just madness. you upload a resume, and it REFORMATS it into their dumb ass word pad, all f*ked up and unreadable. So you have to go in there and manually fix that f*k-up. And then there's a button, where it allows you to upload your linkedin profile. And guess what, it takes your linkedin information and OVERWRITES everything you just fixed on the resume....... Whoever manages that website is an idiot. moron. dimwit.
Are they looking for a new web developer? That'd be a hell of a trick on your interview. Come in and show them how you've fixed their website to be more efficient and make them look better. You'd either get an offer right off the bat or get shown the door because you insulted the project the boss's kid spent the summer working on.

On a sort of related note, I just read about how Uber sends special codes with puzzles in them to people taking rides in the Cambridge area near Harvard and MIT, and if you can solve them and prove you can do some coding, they offer you a job. What a neat way to recruit.

Old 04-21-16, 07:58 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by grolby
HYPE.

(It better be good racing per dollar, at $65 it's on the higher end for sure).
i wouldn't consider $65 for a 60 mile road race to be on the higher end in 2016.
Old 04-21-16, 08:13 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Maybe not.

BUT BACK IN MY DAY
Old 04-21-16, 09:11 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked 3,149 Times in 1,657 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Tough call. It depends what's more important to you. My dad always left jobs when he got promoted or took jobs where he couldn't be promoted because he liked working with his hands and hated managing other people. But when you live in the midwest sometimes you can afford to take less money do what you like (or at least hate the least). That isn't true everywhere and isn't a choice everyone would choose, especially if you're hoping to get a nest egg. Maybe a few promotions later, you'll find you really like managing things/people. And, if not, offers in hand always make you feel good (and could be used as leverage if possible).
Ya, I hear ya. I can say that I certainly prefer managerial and interpersonal roles over purely technical ones at this point. Advising, interpreting, and decision-making based upon lab results gets me more excited than actually collecting them. I also get a good (small) amount of customer interaction through the Analytical Services business that I lead.

I'm the Product Manager's right-hand man here, training all new hires and reviewing data/results before they're passed to him. When he's out, I get to fill his roles: Pass/Failing QC data, publishing CoA's, and assigning labor based upon incoming product orders.

The aforementioned new opportunity is advertised as a "Chemist" with 3-5 years of ICP-MS experience (my area of expertise), but it's essentially for an ICP tech: I'd have to revert back to sample prep, for example. Not too excited about that.

Still, there is an opportunity for me to move around within the company as I would overlap with Engineering, Sales, R&D and MfG, and of course the potential for lab manager or supervisor is on the horizon, although the two ladies currently filling that role assured me that they wouldn't be leaving anytime soon.

Le sigh.
Old 04-21-16, 09:28 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I've never had the role of managing people, but if I take this new job I'm probably basically at the ceiling of my earning potential (for my experience, it will go up, but no huge jumps) as an individual contributor. If I want to advance past that, I'll probably have to begin moving into more of a management role, either of projects, or people, or decisions, or all three.

I wouldn't mind doing the managing of people's workload and facilitating decisions and making big decisions, it's the HR part of managing that sounds awful, and it's often a package deal. I do enjoy just doing things though.
Old 04-21-16, 10:07 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
thanks, but look at pic then look at number of days I'm claiming
ah.... great minds, and all that.

Originally Posted by Flatballer
I was wondering why he didn't just give himself the job.
would YOU hire YOURSELF? i wouldn't!
Old 04-21-16, 12:34 PM
grolby

Uh-oh. I think I'm getting sick. Is there anything I can do in the next 48 hours that might ameliorate the impact and prevent me from totally sucking this weekend? Or do I drink fluids, get plenty of sleep and just hope for the best?

I rarely get sick so I don't really know how to handle it.
Old 04-21-16, 12:41 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
don't get sick or you could die
Old 04-21-16, 12:42 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Uh-oh. I think I'm getting sick. Is there anything I can do in the next 48 hours that might ameliorate the impact and prevent me from totally sucking this weekend? Or do I drink fluids, get plenty of sleep and just hope for the best?

What else can you do?
Old 04-21-16, 12:57 PM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife swears by zinc right as she's getting sick, shortens the cold etc.

But really, we've been sick so much less since we went vegan. Just sayin'.

Now, to go complete the workout I couldn't get my ass out of bed this morning to do.
Old 04-21-16, 01:40 PM
grolby

Originally Posted by caloso
What else can you do?
I assume nothing! Nothing that isn't pseudoscience, anyway. Just grasping at straws here. I'm going to hope it's just allergies, take a claritin when I get home and hope for the best.

Originally Posted by Harlan
My wife swears by zinc right as she's getting sick, shortens the cold etc.

But really, we've been sick so much less since we went vegan. Just sayin'.
Yeah, I don't know. Maybe.

But it's not diet. Like I said, I very seldom get sick. About every 18 months or so is my usual interval. I figure I'm not due, cause I last got sick in early October. Heh. Not that that really means anything, but it's offending my sense of normality.
Old 04-21-16, 02:15 PM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are we going to have to sit down and have the "training too hard" talk then?
Old 04-21-16, 02:18 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
i wouldn't consider $65 for a 60 mile road race to be on the higher end in 2016.
Dang ... $65 is a lot. $40 is my max (excluding stage races) unless there is something stellar about the race.
Old 04-21-16, 02:26 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I assume nothing! Nothing that isn't pseudoscience, anyway. Just grasping at straws here. I'm going to hope it's just allergies, take a claritin when I get home and hope for the best.

Yeah, I don't know. Maybe.

But it's not diet. Like I said, I very seldom get sick. About every 18 months or so is my usual interval. I figure I'm not due, cause I last got sick in early October. Heh. Not that that really means anything, but it's offending my sense of normality.
hope you don't have what i had, otherwise you are doomed.

but yeah, zinc.

Last edited by mike868y; 04-21-16 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-21-16, 02:26 PM
himespau 

Prince, man, Prince...

Old 04-21-16, 03:19 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

if you're truly sick, there's not much you can do to avoid it, but you can reduce symptoms and/or reduce the duration....maybe. who know? the stuff is never a controlled experiment.

fluids and sleep/rest/no workouts do you more good than any efforts, even if feeling good. sometimes light (z1/z2) stuff can stimulate the immune system a bit, but it's a fine line.

i figure we're all pretty much in the 'ride more' category at the point where we frequent this forum; this is a situation where 'ride less' is probably better.

i do the zinc and the C stuff. i also do saline sinus rinses (i like the neilmed aerosol rinses, personally).

check globalDRO.org for your meds, if you are thinking of racing.

personally, i fall into the camp of avoid meds as much as possible, but lately i've found that taking something during the day that reduces symptoms either helps the cold go away faster--or it just makes me feel better/more energetic/more productive while the cold is still there. i'm a bit less strict that i used to be; if you can take something that helps you sleep at night, your body will get repair itself better/faster, i believe (vs sleeping poorly, waking up constantly, coughing).

i get lots of vitamin C; you don't have to resort to those packets--there's plenty in fruits and vegetables.

some of that OTC nasal stuff is pretty good, like flonase. legal, too, last i checked (2 years ago). i've used it once in an emergency and it seemed to help (again, who knows for sure?). my wife loves it.

if you do race while sick, i believe you can perform really well, esp if you are rested and it is just a 1-day race...but i'd make sure to over-rest afterwards or you risk having things move deeper, getting a sinus infection, losing 4-6 weeks. ask me how i know!
Old 04-21-16, 04:56 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
home remedy for preventing sickness:

drink a lot of fluid
drip h2o2 into ear canal (it's been theorized that viral infections come in through the ear into the body)
olive oil on skin
light exercise 2 hours/day no more, no less
jerk off 10 times/day, no less
vitamin C
get a dog and/or cat, the more the better. they will help you boost your immune system
pray, go to church, and recycle
Old 04-21-16, 04:57 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Are they looking for a new web developer? That'd be a hell of a trick on your interview. Come in and show them how you've fixed their website to be more efficient and make them look better. You'd either get an offer right off the bat or get shown the door because you insulted the project the boss's kid spent the summer working on.

On a sort of related note, I just read about how Uber sends special codes with puzzles in them to people taking rides in the Cambridge area near Harvard and MIT, and if you can solve them and prove you can do some coding, they offer you a job. What a neat way to recruit.
it's that silicon valley spirit.
Old 04-21-16, 05:19 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
16 years of teaching and raising my own kids helped me build a pretty good immune system. I used to take Airborne if there was something particularly contagious going around. Now that I work in an office with adults, I realize how much they get sick too. I'm all about prevention. Good diet, adequate sleep and lots of hand sanitizer. I have lots of paper cuts on my hands from filing so it's about 10 seconds of pain every time I use the hand sanitizer!
Old 04-21-16, 08:37 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked 3,149 Times in 1,657 Posts
Prince, man, Prince...
srsly! tragic loss.
Old 04-22-16, 06:12 AM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
home remedy for preventing sickness:

drink a lot of fluid
drip h2o2 into ear canal (it's been theorized that viral infections come in through the ear into the body)
olive oil on skin
light exercise 2 hours/day no more, no less
jerk off 10 times/day, no less
vitamin C
get a dog and/or cat, the more the better. they will help you boost your immune system
pray, go to church, and recycle
You're not serious about this, right?
Old 04-22-16, 06:16 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That seems like one of the less controversial items in the list.

Anyway, didn't you read Hamlet?
Old 04-22-16, 06:18 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
You're not serious about this, right?

Hydrogen Peroxide For Colds and Flu
Old 04-22-16, 06:26 AM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06
https://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/flu...nsmission.aspx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.