Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How much should I sale a used bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-28-19, 12:38 PM
7AjX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm a total noob on bicycling, but I want to explore more areas around me and make it my sport. I got my eyes on the Giant FATHOM 29 2. It's current price is 1200$. I would use it about two years and I wonder for how much can I sale it two years later, so I can decide whether to buy it or not. Any information?
Old 09-28-19, 04:10 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Too many variables to provide a definite answer.
Old 09-28-19, 04:36 PM
7AjX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by katsup
Too many variables to provide a definite answer.
What are these variables? If it's in a good condition, is it possible to sale it for 800$-900$?
Old 09-28-19, 06:55 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
local market, condition, miles ridden, maintained, stored where? Just some of the many variables.
Old 09-28-19, 07:04 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by 7AjX
What are these variables? If it's in a good condition, is it possible to sale it for 800$-900$?
Your location
Time of the Year
Wear on the bike and components
Maintenance
Cosmetic condition
etc...

30% depreciation after 2 years, maybe if you get lucky. A more realistic number is 50% depreciation. I tried to sell a bike I bought new after 1 year, which was in excellent condition w/ new tires, for 30% off, got a few interested parties, but no one bought it. I may of gotten my price if I kept it listed longer than 2 months, but kept the bike in the end.
Old 09-28-19, 07:08 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
No.

Why are you letting depreciation determine whether or not you purchase a bike?
Old 09-28-19, 07:18 PM
7AjX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ross520
No.

Why are you letting depreciation determine whether or not you purchase a bike?
Because I will move to somewhere else, I have to sale it 2 years later.
Old 09-28-19, 07:26 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I'm a total noob on bicycling, but I want to explore more areas around me and make it my sport. I got my eyes on the Giant FATHOM 29 2. It's current price is 1200$. I would use it about two years and I wonder for how much can I sale it two years later, so I can decide whether to buy it or not. Any information?
you'd be better off, to buy used, and sell used.

Last edited by Metieval; 09-28-19 at 11:59 PM.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 09-28-19, 08:18 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts
It'll be worth about tree fiddy.
Old 09-28-19, 08:25 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Because I will move to somewhere else, I have to sale it 2 years later.
Why not bring it with you?

And even if you can't, in general, most items just don't hold their value very well. Hypothetically, I would eat the entire $1200 if I had to. That's a far better option than not riding for two years. Realistically though, you'll probably be able to sell it for at least $500, which isn't a bad deal in my opinion.

Last edited by Ross520; 09-28-19 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-28-19, 08:56 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
People here have been too gracious to mention that you don't "sale" something, you "sell" it. You can put an item up for sale. It can be given sale pricing, or be an item that is on sale. The person who sold it to you made a sale. But the word 'sale' is a noun, not a verb. Similarly, you would not say, "I want to transaction my bike."

Ok, as for pricing: Be aware that the depreciation curve starts out steep and flattens out over the usable life of the bike. So if you buy something new with the intention of selling it a couple years down the road, you've owned the bike during the time it depreciates most quickly. Lets say you buy a new bike, and sell it two years later for 60% of what you paid for it. You may get lucky and sell it for 70% of original, but more likely you would sell it for a lot less than 60% of original price. But we'll take 60% as the number for the sake of making the point. So for a $1000 bike you have lost $400. Your cost of owning the brand new bike for two years is $400.

Lets say you are the lucky person who bought that two year old bike for 60% of its original purchase price, and you ride it two years before selling it. You might expect to sell it for 80% of the price you paid for it. So you paid $600, and sold it for $480. Your cost of owning it for those two years was $120. Even if it depreciated to 60% of the value you paid for it, that would mean you sold it for $360, and your cost of ownership was $240, which is still less than what the person who owned the bike during its first two years of life paid.

In my calculation I ignored the costs of ownership that constitute ongoing maintenance. A new bike won't need new tires until it has a couple thousand miles on it (give or take). A two year old bike may already have been fitted with a new-enough set of tires, or the previous owner didn't ride enough to wear the first set down, or maybe it's ready for a new set. A used bike may need tires, chain, a tune-up... possibly even a rear cogset or brake pads. If it needs more than that, pass on it or negotiate a lower price.

The point to this is that if you are asking whether it's a financially sound move to buy a new bike and sell it in two years, my opinion is that it is not; that you could do much better by finding a used bike in good condition, buying it for a reasonable price, and selling it after two years.

On the other hand, maybe you could just pay to ship it to wherever you plan to go after the two years are up. Shipping anywhere in the US will cost you less than the $400 you stand to lose by selling that thousand dollar two-year-old bike for $600.
Likes For daoswald:
Old 09-28-19, 11:03 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by daoswald
People here have been too gracious to mention that you don't "sale" something, you "sell" it. You can put an item up for sale. It can be given sale pricing, or be an item that is on sale. The person who sold it to you made a sale. But the word 'sale' is a noun, not a verb. Similarly, you would not say, "I want to transaction my bike."
So you know this person's first language is English?
Old 09-29-19, 02:14 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
So you know this person's first language is English?

Yes, I imagine he does and he's just explaining a bit about how English (a rather confusing language) works.

As for what a $1200 bicycle will sell for 2 years later, I'd guess that at most it will sell for $600. 50%
Old 09-29-19, 05:44 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
2 years old is just about the worst time to sell a bike imo. You will be taking the worst depreciation hit.
Buy used or somehow hold onto it longer.
Old 09-29-19, 09:22 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
more factors

I's not just that the bike will be two years old. Few manufacturers honor a warranty for the second owner. If anything breaks on it the new owner has to bear the entire cost which can be a lot if the frame or fork is the failure. Then there is bike fit. You buy a bike from the bike store and they give you the right frame size (most times!). That narrows down the number of people willing to buy the bike because it may be too big or too small. Dream on if you expect a big return on a two year old bike.
Old 09-29-19, 10:18 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by daoswald
Perhaps its grace, or perhaps its lack of interest in correcting a minor grammatical error when it's still easy to understand the intent.
Old 09-29-19, 05:14 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
imaginary bikes don't sale for anything.
Likes For REDMASTA:
Old 09-29-19, 05:30 PM
7AjX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you so much for the information everyone. I said I'm completely new to bike, I even thought I might be able to SELL it (Sorry, English is not my first language) for over 1000$. And because I was too occupied by the idea of selling it, I didn't realize I can bring it with me. Now I'll just bring it with me. I bought the bike this afternoon and I will see it soon.

I wanted to reply to all your advice last night but was informed that I could only have 5 post within 24 hours, so now I'm not gonna reply to each one of you. I’ll just say thinks to all of you right here. It's really helpful. I really appreciate it!!

(I really can't reply at will and need to wait for another 24 hours and reply to just 5 people? Someone please confirm this. )
Likes For 7AjX:
Old 09-29-19, 05:36 PM
7AjX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
imaginary bikes don't sale for anything.
"...You don't "sale" something, you "sell" it. You can put an item up for sale. It can be given sale pricing, or be an item that is on sale. The person who sold it to you made a sale. But the word 'sale' is a noun, not a verb. Similarly, you would not say, "I want to transaction my bike." daoswald, 2019
Old 09-29-19, 07:08 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
As others have suggested, you would be much better off buying a good used bike. You can't count on getting back more than half of what you paid for a new bike.
Old 09-29-19, 07:20 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
prepare 70% depreciation if you wanna sell it right away so you can move out

but if you know you're gonna sell in 2 years, it's best to buy used now, then sell used later.
Old 09-29-19, 08:56 PM
cecu

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

(I really can't reply at will and need to wait for another 24 hours and reply to just 5 people? Someone please confirm this. )
I believe this is only at the beginning, once you reach more than 10 posts you should not have this limit.. someone will correct me if I'm wrong..
Likes For cecu: