Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Viscount BB conversion question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-20, 11:14 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts

So for you Viscount nerds: Has anybody taken an old BB and crank from a Viscount and put it in a normal bike? Viscount spindles and cranks are not tapered and must be kept together.

1) Viscount used 35x17x10 (6003 bearings) press fit in their unique BB shell.

2) Modern sealed cartridge bearing BB (like the Shimano UN55) seem to use 31mm diameter cartridge bearings with those threaded sleeves that fit over the bearings.

3) 31x17x10 cartridge bearings exist (173110-2RS).

If a suitable sleeve could be made to fit between the two cartridge bearings so they wouldn’t migrate inward, would it be possible to press fit the 173110 cartridge bearings to the Viscound spindle, salvage the sleeves from a Shimano and install in a standard BB? (Does that make sense?)

Or is this a fool’s errand and the groovy chainrings should just be fitted to a TA crank arm and forget about it?
Old 02-11-20, 06:00 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
The only thing that might work in a threaded version it tapping the bb shell Italian thread as I recall.
The shell itself is a bit thin, so you will only get one shot at this.

That being said, it may be that some type of modern press fit bb will work.

rusty
Old 02-11-20, 06:57 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,688 Times in 2,609 Posts
If your goal is to use the crankset, some report success with taking a file to it and modifying to fit a tapered spindle.
Old 02-11-20, 06:58 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
He's proposing to install a Lambert/Viscount BB into a conventional English/ISO threaded frame.
Not worth the effort, IMO.
Old 02-11-20, 07:36 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Go to any industrial bearing shop and Im sure you can find an exact replacement. replacement is pretty easy with just hand tools.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 02-11-20, 08:08 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave
So for you Viscount nerds: Has anybody taken an old BB and crank from a Viscount and put it in a normal bike? Viscount spindles and cranks are not tapered and must be kept together.
Some Viscount/Lambert spindles were untapered, but not all. The mounting bolt thread is not standard 8mm x 1mm. Some Viscount/Lambert cranks used non-standard 7/8" x 24tpi extractor thread. You need to figure out which version or combination of versions of crank and bottom bracket you're dealing with.

1) Viscount used 35x17x10 (6003 bearings) press fit in their unique BB shell.

2) Modern sealed cartridge bearing BB (like the Shimano UN55) seem to use 31mm diameter cartridge bearings with those threaded sleeves that fit over the bearings.

3) 31x17x10 cartridge bearings exist (173110-2RS).

If a suitable sleeve could be made to fit between the two cartridge bearings so they wouldn’t migrate inward, would it be possible to press fit the 173110 cartridge bearings to the Viscound spindle, salvage the sleeves from a Shimano and install in a standard BB? (Does that make sense?)
You also need to grind down the tube ends extending into the bottom bracket shell to get clearance for such a sleeve.

Or is this a fool’s errand and the groovy chainrings should just be fitted to a TA crank arm and forget about it?
A lot of work for marginal benefit, IMO.

Originally Posted by 100bikes
The only thing that might work in a threaded version it tapping the bb shell Italian thread as I recall. The shell itself is a bit thin, so you will only get one shot at this.
The shell has the same 40mm OD as other bottom bracket shells, i.e. it's no thinner than any other BB shell. The reason you only get one shot is because you have to ream the inside of the shell before you cut the Italian threads. Once you've done that, there's no going back. That said, it's a pretty straightforward operation, provided you have the necessary tools.
Old 02-11-20, 08:45 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Hudson308
He's proposing to install a Lambert/Viscount BB into a conventional English/ISO threaded frame.
Not worth the effort, IMO.
This.

Sometimes we climb the hill just because it’s there. Sometimes that molehill becomes a mountain.

Something I didn’t consider is where cartridge actually sits on the Lambert/Viscount spindle compared to where the cartridge sits in a Shimano spindle. The Viscount sits flush with the face of the BB while the Shimano has a threaded sleeve over the cartridge and could be slightly inboard. I’ll have to measure.