Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-16, 03:40 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
We got off really easy here, only a few inches of snow on the ground. From what I've heard not even 20 miles south of there there's about a foot of snow.
Old 01-23-16, 04:12 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts

we must have 15"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3971.jpg (99.5 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by gsteinb; 01-23-16 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-23-16, 04:30 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cold and insanely windy, but nary a flake of snow. And I'm just a bike ride away from where TKP lives.
Old 01-23-16, 04:34 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing in Western MA. Spawn #1 was galavanting around Manhattan before they shut the Path trains down. Maybe he made it, maybe he didn't. Kids.
Old 01-23-16, 04:39 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
just starting to snow around here.
Old 01-23-16, 04:41 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

fat bike dude rode down the street while we were shoveling (third round of shoveling). can't imagine that bike would be much use in the woods now.
Old 01-23-16, 04:48 PM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
fat bike dude rode down the street while we were shoveling (third round of shoveling). can't imagine that bike would be much use in the woods now.
If he has a pair of Vee 2XLs, it might be...
Old 01-23-16, 05:59 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
Current Tiagra shifters are ten speed and have the about the same shape as 11 speed Shimano. They actually look pretty nice, too.
I just asked in the Mechanics forum about replacing a damaged 5600 RD with 4700. Several people advised that 4700 10 speed is not compatible with 5600/SIS 10 speed.
Old 01-23-16, 06:44 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Wonder if 4600 would work?

Demain, on roule!
Old 01-23-16, 07:34 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Had to bail on a party cause it's snowing more than expected here. Could have six inches by the end. So instead of hanging out drinking cocktails, I'm home making a pie and drinking cocktails. Could be worse.
Old 01-24-16, 01:39 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Ended up driving to boston and back today. Trip took way longer because of unplowed roads and idiot drivers, but AWD and snow tires rock.

And here grolby couldn't even make it down the street lol.
Old 01-24-16, 09:26 AM
grolby

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
I have to drive ~45-60 mins to Boston this evening. Thankful for my 02 Impreza TS, AWD, and snow tires. I drove around portland after their blizzard last weekend and it was a blast though I think my lady friend was a little less than amused.
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Ended up driving to boston and back today. Trip took way longer because of unplowed roads and idiot drivers, but AWD and snow tires rock.

And here grolby couldn't even make it down the street lol.
I don't bother with snow tires because a) $$$ and b) we don't do enough driving in the snow here to justify them IMO. I actually find my 09 Fit with all-season tires is pretty capable in snow. Small FWD cars work pretty darn well. But I still bailed on driving to Cambridge last night, cause while I could probably have made it and enjoy the challenge of snow driving, the stakes are F'in REAL, and I can't control what the other morons out on the roads might do.

I know it's good sport to laugh at people who don't know how to drive in the snow and feel superior, but the reality is that driving places in conditions like that when you don't have to is DUMB. End of story. It doesn't matter how good a driver you are (how good a driver you THINK you are). It doesn't matter if you have AWD and snow tires. Maybe that's just me getting old and responsible, I don't know. But I just no longer see that rush of machismo - and I do feel that, big time - as being worth the risk of thousands of dollars of auto repairs or worse.
Old 01-24-16, 10:44 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
California BFers, please be on the lookout for this bike.

A team mate of mine is in Fresno CA right now on business and his bike was stolen last night. Cannondale SuperSix with a Rolf Vigor wheelset (exactly as pictured). Dont know if this will do any good, but I figure spreading the word cant hurt.
Old 01-24-16, 11:04 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
I don't bother with snow tires because a) $$$ and b) we don't do enough driving in the snow here to justify them IMO. I actually find my 09 Fit with all-season tires is pretty capable in snow. Small FWD cars work pretty darn well.
Winter tires (not snow tires, snow tires would be studded or something) are a good deal better than all seasons, even when it isn't snowy. They're just better when it's cold, period. The rubber is extremely soft so it stays soft when it's cold. If you have a place to store them it's not much more expensive, since you aren't wearing out your other tires while the winter ones are on.

But yeah, if you don't plan on driving in the snow at all, it probably isn't worth it if you already have all seasons.
Old 01-24-16, 11:35 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06
California BFers, please be on the lookout for this bike.

A team mate of mine is in Fresno CA right now on business and his bike was stolen last night. Cannondale SuperSix with a Rolf Vigor wheelset (exactly as pictured). Dont know if this will do any good, but I figure spreading the word cant hurt.
this was the guy who was supposed to race? what size?

if she's back, seek out https://www.facebook.com/plattyjo?fref=ts Jenny Oh on FB. else ******/r/babike
Old 01-24-16, 11:56 AM
Stas87

Bikes: road and track

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About 2 hours shoveling this morning. While the parking lot in my complex was plowed the side street needed to leave said parking lot was not. Shoveled enough of the street so that my small vw golf could drive through and get fuel for the work week. Funny enough, most of the neighbors were out digging their cars out. No one cared about the street and each just dig out their car enough to get out their respective spot.

After two hours of shoveling, I think I'll skip the trainer tonight
Old 01-24-16, 12:51 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
this was the guy who was supposed to race? what size?

if she's back, seek out https://www.facebook.com/plattyjo?fref=ts Jenny Oh on FB. else ******/r/babike
Yes, same guy. I believe it's a 56..haven't heard from him yet to be sure.

Just heard from him, it is a 56.

Last edited by Wylde06; 01-24-16 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-24-16, 01:11 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Winter tires (not snow tires, snow tires would be studded or something) are a good deal better than all seasons, even when it isn't snowy. They're just better when it's cold, period. The rubber is extremely soft so it stays soft when it's cold. If you have a place to store them it's not much more expensive, since you aren't wearing out your other tires while the winter ones are on.

But yeah, if you don't plan on driving in the snow at all, it probably isn't worth it if you already have all seasons.

I took the opposite approach. On the Expedition I didn't expect to drive it much (about 500-1000 miles a year) so I bought studless snows. My reasoning is that I can drive snows in the summer but I really don't want all seasons in the winter. Also in March/April, for the Series, I expected to see some snow.

Studless snows are pretty incredible. I drove the 06 Expedition (on snows) and a '12? Explorer (all seasons). The Explorer (belonged to MIL) couldn't stick to our driveway, slid down into the street and into the bank aross it. Then it crabwalked down the street due to the crown of the road. I parked the Explorer, got the Expedition (we were switching vehicles, Expedition was in our storage bay), and drove the Expedition back on the same roads. I was back at the house before I realized I forgot to take the Expedition out of 2WD. Also no crabwalking, and it went up and down the driveway fine.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 01-24-16, 09:06 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Sprayed the eff out of my brifters with WD40 and they seem to be working again! I'll try to get on the bike tomorrow or day after and see if they work well under load on the trainer. WOOO!!!

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I took the opposite approach. On the Expedition I didn't expect to drive it much (about 500-1000 miles a year) so I bought studless snows. My reasoning is that I can drive snows in the summer but I really don't want all seasons in the winter. Also in March/April, for the Series, I expected to see some snow.

Studless snows are pretty incredible. I drove the 06 Expedition (on snows) and a '12? Explorer (all seasons). The Explorer (belonged to MIL) couldn't stick to our driveway, slid down into the street and into the bank aross it. Then it crabwalked down the street due to the crown of the road. I parked the Explorer, got the Expedition (we were switching vehicles, Expedition was in our storage bay), and drove the Expedition back on the same roads. I was back at the house before I realized I forgot to take the Expedition out of 2WD. Also no crabwalking, and it went up and down the driveway fine.
Yup, snow tires should be mandatory in areas where the temperature is below freezing for a chunk of the year and conditions involve snow and ice. They make things MUCH safer and the performance on dry pavement is way better than it used to be.

And I was just messing with Grolby re: him being a wuss. He's a great guy and I might drag him and mike out for a beer next weekend when I'm in town

That said the tires perform incredibly well in limited traction. The bigger issue for my car would probably be clearance off the ground. I could feel any single tire lose traction and it would jump right back in again, especially since I was driving mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear to allow engine braking to do its magic instead of tempting fate with the brakes.
Old 01-24-16, 09:14 PM
grolby

Haha, yeah, I'm down for a beer. As long as it's not snowing, you know?

One thing I did learn was about snows being better in the cold, period. I didn't know that before!
Old 01-24-16, 09:52 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Snows aren't great on dry pavement. For overall cold, sometimes some snow, you want winters. Summer tires turn into hockey pucks in the cold, all seasons are better, winter great. My car with summer tires tomorrow with some black ice possible will be fun. Gonna have to take it easy.
Old 01-24-16, 11:31 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Snows aren't great on dry pavement. For overall cold, sometimes some snow, you want winters. Summer tires turn into hockey pucks in the cold, all seasons are better, winter great. My car with summer tires tomorrow with some black ice possible will be fun. Gonna have to take it easy.
Careful. Summer tires on cold stuff, ugh. I learned the hard way about summer tires, when, with virtually no throttle (but it was 28 deg or something stupid) I spun my car pulling slowly away from a stop light. It was like I was drivign on ice.

If you have tire pressure monitors that show actual pressure you can do some brake riding (as long as no one is behind you) to warm up the tires. I can't remember the exact numbers but I think my Z tire pressures went up about 5-8 psi from cold to hot, I think cold was 35? and hot was 42?). If I got above a certain number (39?) the car felt better. Brakes warm up the tires quickest, don't slalom like race cars (I tried it).

Also, you're right, snows are worse in dry. Some are really bad in dry, increasing stopping distances significantly, so there's that.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 01-25-16, 01:58 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Oy, sorry. Meant winter tires. Not studded!
Old 01-25-16, 09:10 AM
Gramercy

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
30 inches of snow is a lot, especially when the snow plow clears the road and blocks my car in. Fun times.
Old 01-25-16, 09:23 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

30" of snow is a lot, when you don't have a car, and have to walk uphill

both ways!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.