Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Jones bar and bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Jones bar and bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-18, 08:05 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Jones bar and bike

I heard a podcast with the Jones person about how he re-designed bikes and handlebars to actually fit riders. Sounded convincing.

Does anyone have experience or educated opinion on their handlebars or bikes?

Looks like made for long distance rougher roads etc. Exactly up my alley. I would try a handlebar on my hybrid.

I swear a long time ago i saw a thread here, but the search (even through google) didn't help. Only found a 2003 or so thread.
Old 04-21-18, 08:41 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Does anyone have experience or educated opinion on their handlebars or bikes?
I have no experience, nor education
A couple recent threads:
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...onversion.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...-drop-bar.html
Mtbr.com has multiple reviews: Jones Bikes- Mtbr.com
Old 04-21-18, 08:44 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Just got one for my wife. She likes it. There are numerous threads here. Use the advanced search, or Google site search.
Old 04-21-18, 09:34 AM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
I have no experience, nor education
A couple recent threads:
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...onversion.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...-drop-bar.html
Mtbr.com has multiple reviews: Jones Bikes- Mtbr.com
Thanks for the links. I should have mentioned, I already have flat bars (inc. regular MTB shifters and brakes), so this wouldn't be a drop/flat conversion. It would just be flat bar to another flatbar and the bar and grips would be the only (even if not insignificant) expense. Edit: The bikes discussed in MTBR, that was a 2007 thread, they significantly changed since then. I probably should have mentioned, not in the market for new bike for that price, just curious... like the concept.

To me the Jones bar seems to do what a drop bar can do for some better aero and multiple hand positions, but with MTB parts.

Did anyone go from flat to Jones and regret it? Or if not, how much better and what exactly was better?

i know final test is myself buying and trying one...
Old 04-21-18, 11:20 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
I bought the H Bar for my Dahon Matrix full size folding mountain bike. I didn't like it. Too wide and too much sweepback. But I gave the bike to my brother and he loves the Jones Bars. It's all personal preference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
images.jpeg (2.8 KB, 491 views)

Old 04-21-18, 11:21 AM
Estacado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the straight gauge Jones H bar last year. It's on my mountain bike. I love it! So many hand positions.
Old 04-21-18, 11:53 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I would love to have one of his bikes to go with his bar one day.
Old 05-06-18, 09:53 PM
HerrKaLeun

I'm still contemplating this type of bar and think the aero position may be a big benefit (as for aero for non-drop bar). Still a bit not-happy baput the cost.

I found the Origin8 Strongbow ($65), which has a 15° sweep (as opposed to 45° for the jones). not a lot of reviews for that besides some on amazon. Does anyone have that? any idea if the 15° sweep would be better? Obviously it would be less drastic. It seems to be wider at 760 mm (vs. 710 mm for Jones). not sure what type of grips that would need.

it seems the Jones items are only available from the jones website, which would explain higher prices. Yes I know, I could buy both and just try....
Old 05-06-18, 11:35 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Yeah, I like them. I use them with Ergon GC1 grips. Trick is to fiddle with the stem length. I tried at first with a short stem, felt like they were too swept back, a longer stem fixed that. Hard to explain but you want the angled bit centered midway where your straight bars were originally I reckon. My partner needed a short stem. A cheaper option that does mostly the same would be the velo orange crazy bars. I've used them too, liked them as well, wasn't so keen on the bull horns, I think the design needs tweaking with less horizontal reach and more angled up bar. Jones are available in 710 with cut down marks to 660. Crazies are 660. 710 is pretty wide, you'd need to be a gorilla for touring on 760 bars. One thing with the loop bars is that it's a PITA to mount a bar bag...it ends up way out in front. Jones have just come out with a Bend H bar, much easier to mount a handlebar bag on, I may well have gone with those had they been available when I got my H Bars.
Old 05-07-18, 03:26 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Yeah, I like them. I use them with Ergon GC1 grips. Trick is to fiddle with the stem length. I tried at first with a short stem, felt like they were too swept back, a longer stem fixed that. Hard to explain but you want the angled bit centered midway where your straight bars were originally I reckon. My partner needed a short stem. A cheaper option that does mostly the same would be the velo orange crazy bars. I've used them too, liked them as well, wasn't so keen on the bull horns, I think the design needs tweaking with less horizontal reach and more angled up bar. Jones are available in 710 with cut down marks to 660. Crazies are 660. 710 is pretty wide, you'd need to be a gorilla for touring on 760 bars. One thing with the loop bars is that it's a PITA to mount a bar bag...it ends up way out in front. Jones have just come out with a Bend H bar, much easier to mount a handlebar bag on, I may well have gone with those had they been available when I got my H Bars.
I have the Ergon GP 2 and 5 on my bikes and love them. Going to round grips was one of my concerns, but thanks to your hint I see there is a solution.
The way i see it the GC1 are not necessarily as long as the Jones grips (at least scaling from ergon website pics). That would leave a gap between the grips and the brake/shifter. Or does that fit well? One could fill the gap with bar tape (not sure how well that would work).

Does anyone use the jones Aerobar, the Gnarwal? Seems to be for very aero positions. But I wonder if thsi is overkill and the normal front loop is forward enough for practical application? And for some reason i think one could make that for less than $80 lol.
Old 05-07-18, 05:36 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
With the 660 bars there is no gap between the GC1, the brake lever band and the cross piece. With 710 there is about 25mm. Doesn't bother me. It leaves a hand position on the junction and room on each side for a bell and my Air Zounds horn.
Old 05-11-18, 02:37 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12790 Post(s)
Liked 7,698 Times in 4,087 Posts
They have a tad too much sweep for my taste.

I think I'd prefer around 20° sweep.
Old 05-11-18, 04:05 AM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I love my Jones H loop bar. It fits my style of riding. I'm more of a commuter/mountain biker. That said, the front bar position is good for getting aero and as close as I get to drop bars. I was worried that the normal position wouldn't be good for technical stuff on the trail, but I was wrong. I love my Jones bar and will want them on my next bike.
Old 05-11-18, 03:00 PM
HerrKaLeun

thanks for all the advice. for now i just re-adjusted my Ergon GP5 bar ends to be about 15° forward. hat gives me some sort of aero position, just at the outer end of my bar. one advantage of that is it gives me more leverage than the hands in almost center with Jones. i thought of buying inner bar ends, but they are quite pricy.

since i already have a handlebar and grips/bar ends, it seems expensive to just try one (needing grips, the bar and possibly gnarwal). but for a new bike, i may try it. Or if i don't get fully happy with my current setup.If i had to buy grips and bar from scratch, I definitely would try the Jones bar.

One thing I observed myself is that when on the grips is that i even angle my hands outwards, to the opposite of how the jones bar would angle them. From all my research it seems people either like the Jones, or not.

I actually start liking the jones bikes as well. May be good "hybrid/simple MTB" crosses that could be useful as one single bike for my uses. but with 2 new bikes last year, I'm not ready to build a totally new bike.
Old 06-30-18, 01:48 PM
HerrKaLeun

I actually ended up ordering the $80 H bar and the Kraton Grips. Now I have a week to decide whether to put it on my hybrid or my fatbike.

Originally my hybrid motivated me to think more about new handlebar since I wanted a more aero position (for straight bike path runs and headwinds). I use my GP5 grips (15°F forward) and often have my hands on the top (all the way forward) for more aero, but that isn't comfortable long run. i also like to be on the side of the grip (like a drop down almost, like handshaking hand position). I contemplated upgrading to drops (would be hard to do and expensive with hydraulic discs and I'm not sure if i like the end result), or adding an aero bar. but then decided a Jones bar with the Gnarwal would be better. Unfortunately the Gnarwal was not in stock.

I also think I could use it on my fatbike since that often gives me some numbness (only have the Ergo GP2) due to off-road shaking of the front. I probably try it on my hybrid first and use the GP5 on my fatbike to see if that works better. On the other hand, the Jonesbar also seems to be really made for the jones bikes, which kind of do what i do with my fatbike. (1st World problem here)

I decided to buy the Jones grips since they come in the right length. I fear I may miss the wrist comfort of the ergo grips, though. Only real downside of the Jones grips is they are not fastened, but are friction mounted, which makes swapping the handlebar harder (I know, alcohol etc.)
Old 07-01-18, 08:49 AM
fitlerbend

Bikes: TREK Stache 5, 2013 Cannonade Carbon 1, DaVinci In2Ition tandem, RANS Screamer, Giant Expressway 1, 1975 Crescent Mark XX, Tern Link 7, Montague Paratrooper, Raleigh Talus 29, Trek LIFT, Novara Randonee, Specialized Fatboy

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
I have Jones Loop bars on six of my bikes. I also use the ERGON grips.
Old 07-01-18, 10:29 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,846 Times in 2,235 Posts
Can we get some pics of everyone’s bikes Jones’d out?
Looks like enough bar space for all those handlebar toys!
Old 07-01-18, 09:27 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by fitlerbend
I have Jones Loop bars on six of my bikes. I also use the ERGON grips.
You have the GC1 (the ones for swept back bars)? Or did you use normal ones like the GP1?

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Can we get some pics of everyone’s bikes Jones’d out?
Looks like enough bar space for all those handlebar toys!
+1

mostly interested in how everyone dealt with the gap between a non-Jones grip and the shifter.

I also wonder if there is a good alternative for the H-Bar Pack. good idea, but the price is a bit steep at $64 for a tiny bag.
Old 07-02-18, 02:45 PM
khutch
Sumerian Street Rider

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Fuji Absolute 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Fuji performance hybrid/flat bar road bike that I have ridden since 2010. Came with a flat bar and I quickly found that I hate flat bars. Tried some other bars and even considered the painfully expensive conversion to drops. Then I stumbled onto the Jones Loop H bar. It is great! I've been riding it since late 2010 or early 2011 and it has transformed the bike from one I could only stand to ride for about 30 miles in one go into a bike that I can ride all day and frequently do. Great control off road, many hand positions, and some of those are great for fighting headwinds. If I ever consider the purchase of another flat bar bike I will just figure the cost of the Jones bar into the price. It is that good. In my opinion, of course. The only reason I would not put a Jones bar on a new flat bar bike as soon as I took delivery is that some other makers have noted its success and have designs that look to be as good on paper. If I got one of those I would try it a few months and then decide if the Jones bar was necessary or not.
Old 07-02-18, 06:45 PM
fitlerbend

Bikes: TREK Stache 5, 2013 Cannonade Carbon 1, DaVinci In2Ition tandem, RANS Screamer, Giant Expressway 1, 1975 Crescent Mark XX, Tern Link 7, Montague Paratrooper, Raleigh Talus 29, Trek LIFT, Novara Randonee, Specialized Fatboy

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
I use the GPs all the way.
Old 07-09-18, 04:17 PM
HerrKaLeun

Update: i changed my order from the 100g heavier SG to the regular bars and only ordered the bars to see how they feel before deciding on grips. Yes $40 to save 100g is extreme, but i figured i may have them for decades. First round around the block with some generic round grips i decided to order the Jones EVA grips and the H-Bar pack

I rode about 100km with my makeshift generic grips and love the bar. i basically have 5 useful positions and used them all. There isn't one perfect position for a long time, the secret is changing it. I usually avoid roads and am not so fast on MUPs, but this route included 25% road and it was faster than usual at little effort on the road,, So the Aero position really helps.

I put bar-tape (first time bar tape!) around the entire loop excluding the small part where the gnarwal aerobar would mount. i figured i may buy that some time (currently sold out), but now put the headlights there and think the normal aero position is good enough for my use. Stretching out too far may not be good with my saddle position.

I actually saved weight! the old 680mm Giant bar and Ergon GP5 grips weigh 708g. The new bar, bar tape, and grips weigh 595 g. Considering i considered adding an aerobar to my straight bar, the weight saving really becomes significant.

Today the Eva grips arrived. Only problem so far is they are sized to fit with a brake that has the shifter attached. since I have shimano brake and SRAM shifters, I have them next to each other. I may be able to use Problemsovers , but they are pricey and I haven't verified if they work for my brakes (Shimano M395) and shifters (SRAM SL700). On the other hand i don't want to cut the grips. Looked at some Jones videos, and it looks like he has the shifters attached to brake lever.

overall very happy (minus still having to resolve my grip length issue)

Edit: google tells me the mismatcher are ot 100% great, so i may just shorten the grips. My plan is to at some point upgrade drivetrain to 1x (would resolve left side), but i would go 12-speed, which would be SRAM at this point. So I can't use the grips as an excuse to upgrade drivetrain :-)

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 07-09-18 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-09-18, 04:23 PM
drowling23

Bikes: R&M Delite GX Rohloff, Crescent Elgar 27,5 FS, Haibike SDURO HardFour 4.0

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Jones Loop handlebar on my Salsa Blackborow fatbike. I got the one that also raises the height somewhat, so it's even more comfortable to ride. I like it.
Old 07-09-18, 08:21 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I got the Jones Loop Bar to replace the Crivitz bar (20 or 25 degree sweep) on my Trek 1120 bikepacking bike. With only a couple short-ish rides using the new handlebars, my hands no longer went numb or tingly. I did get the carbon bars, but the result was such that I am ordering two more for my tandem. I can always swap them to another bike or two.
Old 07-09-18, 09:20 PM
Bizman

Bikes: 2014 Carbon Quest XS (Velomobile), 2014 Catrike Road (Trike), 2013 Easy Motion Max 700+ PCS (E-bike), 2011 Lynskey R340 (Road), 2011 Surly Moonlander (Fatty), 2010 Santa Cruise Tallboy (Full Suspension)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Last year and bought a Jones plus bike with the carbon H loop bar. I had Jones install the Xtracycle LEAP extension to make it a cargo bike. After getting it I put the Bafang BBSDH e-motor on it for carrying cargo on the hills. I rarely use the motor as it pedals so effortlessly and just crusies along. This is the most comfortable 2 wheel bike I have! It is designed with comfort in mind and I love the H bars!
Old 07-16-18, 01:53 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Here is my Giant ATX lite.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.