Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mafac braze on center pulls, Courtois frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-20, 09:56 AM
Ephgrave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

zz

Last edited by Ephgrave; 10-29-21 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-28-20, 12:54 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Ephgrave
I have a "Courtois frame, French I believe.
It has Mafac braze on center pulls.
No name other than dural forged, Mafac, no "Racer" or "Competition" & no other markings.
This is one I have no idea about, any help on brakes or frame ages.
lugs are not fancy have had some filling, rear ends not marked as I can see, but does have gear hanger.
I will post pics when have cleaned it up, & its warmer.
Thank you for any thing you might be able to tell me.
Sam
Sam, you need 10 posts to be able to upload photos. So you can reply to me and make other comments (up to 5 per day) in order to pad your count.
Likes For dweenk:
Old 01-28-20, 01:14 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
MAFAC centerpulls marked "Dural Forge" are on the earlier side for the Racer brakes, 50s or 60s. The brakes were introduced in the early 50s and the "Racer" badge wasn't put on the brakes 'til the early 70s.

With brazed-on centerpull bosses, I would guess the bike is a somewhat upper-end bike. This was only a common feature on upper-level production and custom bikes. Small production outfits like Meral and Follis were known to use the feature sometimes on semi-custom or small-run models. It was a very popular feature on full-custom constructeur bikes as well, especially 700C "sportif"-style bikes.

Last edited by TenGrainBread; 01-28-20 at 02:03 PM.
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 01-28-20, 02:16 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Dural forgee stamping together with red plastic bushings puts you in 1969. No obvious visible red bushing means earlier than that. Racer only means later. Inventory overhang blurs dates a bit. Those brakes work very well indeed.
Old 01-28-20, 03:58 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
If they just have "Mafac Dural Forge" stamped on them, they are Racers older than @1970. They have brass bushings in the arms--the later ones stamped "Mafac Racer" have nylon bushings. Not a big difference between the two but having the posts brazed on does make a little more powerful brake with a little firmer feel at the lever--but not by much. Don't try to use "authentic" pads or cables, use modern consumables on Mafacs and you end up with an excellent set of brakes.
Old 01-28-20, 06:10 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
-----

Cycles Courtois was a retail shop located in Poitiers

successor entity termed Culture Velo a Chasseneuil

here is a randonneur constructed with MAFAC Competition braze-on centrepulls and dated by owner as 1977 -

For comparison here is an early '80's road machine. Its brake set is an odd mix of MAFAC 2000 centrepull front caliper, CLB side pull rear caliper, paired with Weinmann levers.

---

Seems likely that Courtois badged cycles represent contract produced items but no hard information as yet...

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 01-28-20, 06:59 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

here is a randonneur constructed with MAFAC Competition braze-on centrepulls and dated by owner as 1977 -

Seems likely that Courtois badged cycles represent contract produced items but no hard information as yet...
-----
That's a pretty bike. I find a couple little details I could quibble with, but overall it "cleans up nice".
The Campy decal on the chainstay cracked me up. I see Campy hubs, maybe seatpost, and that's it. Did I miss anything? I'm not one to talk, I once had a bike where the only Campy part was the decal.

Dropouts look like Shimano SFR, but Gipiemme made a near-exact knock-off.

Any guesses on the frame shop? We may never know unless we see invoices; details are all a bit too generic.

I agree with Feldman about using better modern rubber for the brakes. Just wanted to mention, in case anyone hasn't seen them, Koolstop makes near-perfect repops of the Mafac 4-dot pads. "Salmon" color is reputed to stop better in the rain, can't say I've noticed that but it must be true if everyone says it. But the black ones are more correct for formal wear to fancy-dress parties, and they stop pretty good.

Mark B in Seattle
Old 01-28-20, 07:20 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
I agree with Feldman about using better modern rubber for the brakes. Just wanted to mention, in case anyone hasn't seen them, Koolstop makes near-perfect repops of the Mafac 4-dot pads. "Salmon" color is reputed to stop better in the rain, can't say I've noticed that but it must be true if everyone says it. But the black ones are more correct for formal wear to fancy-dress parties, and they stop pretty good.

Mark B in Seattle
I can vouch for salmon Koolstops. My best braking non-disc bike has MAFAC Competitions with salmon Koolstops, did me right, braking with confidence on the notorious downhill section after the Cypress climb at Eroica California, and I'm no lightweight.
Old 01-28-20, 07:52 PM
juvela

-----

cycle owner states frame ends Yoshi

Tullio transfers -

my guess would be they were fitted by framebuilder

assembly likely would have been performed at retail shop, hence the apparent contradiction...

-----
Old 01-28-20, 07:56 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
-----

No way! I lived in Poitiers when doing a year abroad in undergrad in 2008 and I commuted on an entry-level Courtois road bike that I bought at the local pawn shop. I slapped fenders, rear rack, and dynamo lights onto it to make it a decent commuter. I always wondered why nobody outside the area had any idea what I was talking about when I told them I rode a Courtois!

I'll try and dig up some pictures. It had clubs in the logo like a Colnago, which I thought was a little bit trademark infringement, but it rode ok. It had English threading in the places that mattered. What more could a college student want?

That seems right based on having had one in my hands. My impression was that it was nice quality, but not particularly extra-special or artisanal in any way.

Last edited by scarlson; 01-28-20 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-28-20, 08:03 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
The Campy decal on the chainstay cracked me up. I see Campy hubs, maybe seatpost, and that's it. Did I miss anything? I'm not one to talk, I once had a bike where the only Campy part was the decal.
First thing I noticed, and the Campy logo on the head tube. Is that an NR cup I see peeking out on the non-drive side or is it a Mavic sealed BB?

I managed to pick up almost 100pr of Mafac blocks from someone who had them sealed airtight for years a while back, still have zero-damn-clue what to do with them, but they're shockingly not any harder than they should be, I assume due to lack of contact with air. I find the salmon Koolstop pads to be a little more springy/softer for sure, almost too much so.

Old 01-28-20, 08:26 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
I find the salmon Koolstop pads to be a little more springy/softer for sure, almost too much so.
Shortening the straddle cable will compensate for that. Modulation is fantastic. Hand strength increases as the lever compresses, I've found - super stiff brakes don't allow my hand to get into my "strength zone", too "springy" and they'll bottom out before maximum braking power is achieved. It's one of those things that's dependent on the individual rider, methinks.
Old 01-29-20, 04:30 AM
Ephgrave

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Hi thanks for the pics. Nice looking machine.
Old 01-29-20, 04:40 AM
Ephgrave

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
MAFAC centerpulls marked "Dural Forge" are on the earlier side for the Racer brakes, 50s or 60s. The brakes were introduced in the early 50s and the "Racer" badge wasn't put on the brakes 'til the early 70s.

With brazed-on centerpull bosses, I would guess the bike is a somewhat upper-end bike. This was only a common feature on upper-level production and custom bikes. Small production outfits like Meral and Follis were known to use the feature sometimes on semi-custom or small-run models. It was a very popular feature on full-custom constructeur bikes as well, especially 700C "sportif"-style bikes.
I think this is 50's / 60's as the the rear ends are not cast, they are pressed steel but do have an integral gear hanger. The lugs have cut outs in them similar to the Blue frame on this tread.
Thank you for your help with this
Old 01-29-20, 08:56 AM
TenGrainBread 

Originally Posted by Ephgrave
Hi I have just been taking the bike apart, the brakes have a brass bushing.
The number on the BB is the same as the steerer, which is EF3.
The over spray on the steerer tube is the same colour as the frame.
The seat post is stamped 26 & is not one I have seen before, very early all in one.
The Stronglight chainset is Deposse 170 mm.
The forks ends are 100 front, 120 or just under on the rear.
The campag L/F hub is early 5 speed, has Campagnolo in a sun, with the little rays top and bottom, the quick release lever is straight.
when I can will post some pics.
thank you for your help.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully you should be nearing the post limit to post pictures. If you need help posting them, let us know. You can use the forum picture upload function or a third party hosting site like Flickr that gives you a line of BBCode to insert.

It is a common misconception in the English-speaking world that the "Depose" on the Stronglight cranks is the model name. The French term for "trademark" is "marque déposée". The actual model name is 49D.

All the other components you list point to a 60s bicycle. Looking forward to pictures!
Old 01-29-20, 04:37 PM
juvela

-----

regarding BB assembly on blue machine -

owner states BB assembly Stronglight

if you open the image showing the left side of the BB area you can see that lockring is alloy and bearing cup is clearly marked "STRONGLIGHT FRANCE"

frankish posters write that at the Poitiers location customers were able to select their becane "piece-by-piece"

---

here is a later '70's midliner -

---

late '70's road machine converted to fixed -

-----
Old 01-30-20, 08:15 AM
Ephgrave

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the info. Hopefully you should be nearing the post limit to post pictures. If you need help posting them, let us know. You can use the forum picture upload function or a third party hosting site like Flickr that gives you a line of BBCode to insert.

It is a common misconception in the English-speaking world that the "Depose" on the Stronglight cranks is the model name. The French term for "trademark" is "marque déposée". The actual model name is 49D.

All the other components you list point to a 60s bicycle. Looking forward to pictures!
I thought that the way The badge was worded gave idea to its age.
Old 01-30-20, 08:24 AM
Ephgrave

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

I looked at the frame numbers on head column, & bottom bracket they are the same. which is good , it is EF3.
Old 01-30-20, 08:26 AM
Ephgrave

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I have some pics now of the details of the frame & forks.
Old 01-30-20, 09:22 AM
TenGrainBread 

Fun-looking bike, not something you see every day. I've no idea the maker but it does say higher-end, semi-custom production bike to me. The frame has some hints here and there of a shop with efficiency rather than perfection on its mind - the pinholed brazing on the brake mounts, for example. But the overall frame is not something you'd buy off-the-shelf. There is some good attention-to-detail like the neatly finished stay ends at the rear dropouts.

The bracket on the non-drive-side chainstay just under the brake caliper is for a rim/sidewall generator for lighting. A common feature on decent randonneur and camping bikes of the era.

Post up some pictures of the frame and some close-ups of the seat cluster. That might help with an ID.
Old 01-30-20, 11:01 AM
juvela

-----

Hello Sam,

thank you for the photos. these should aid the forum's experts to give you some solid information.

the stamped ends with the forged gear hanger make me wonder if they may be something the builder created on their own by adding a Campag Nr. 80/1 to an existing stamped dropout.

-----
Old 01-30-20, 12:41 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
regarding BB assembly on blue machine -

if you open the image showing the left side of the BB area you can see that lockring is alloy and bearing cup is clearly marked "STRONGLIGHT FRANCE"
I'm glad someone's eyes can still see print that small

As for me, I see the "FR" letters when I put on some magnifiers, but I'll take your word for it on the rest

The beveled-edge lock ring that's slightly off-color reminds me a lot of the Mavig 600-series threadless BB.

Old 01-30-20, 06:20 PM
juvela

-----

Here is one more example. This time in bare metal. It exhibits some similarities to both subject machine and to blue cycle...

-----
Old 01-30-20, 06:47 PM
juvela

------

This is how it appears following completion of restoration and reassembly -

-----
Old 01-31-20, 07:08 AM
Ephgrave

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
juvela
That is a job well done, looks really good.
Are you going to put toe clips on, I can't ride with out.

Last edited by Ephgrave; 01-31-20 at 07:16 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.