Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know who may have made this?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Does anyone know who may have made this?

Old 12-29-19, 04:08 PM
rgppgr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Would that person be well known if they built only three frames? I'm wondering what to do with this now. I am getting a Canopus frame that the Campy parts can be installed on. Then make this any thing I want, fixie, local commuter or something else. Something about not knowing who made it. It's like a Bastard bike. Is there any way to determine the tubing. Given the frame weight and tube diameter?
Old 12-30-19, 08:14 AM
dimini

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Not sure if someone has already mentioned this but the fork crown looks distinctive—plain on the outside shape, yet features the long spear points extending down the inner side of the fork blades. I’d be curious know the wheel base. So odd to me that there would be fender eyelets on the dropouts with such tight clearances up at the fork crown.
Old 12-30-19, 08:56 AM
rgppgr

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
No one has mentioned the front fork per say. I never noticed the long spear to take a good look. The bike was light and rode very well so I bought them close to 40 years ago. The wheel base is 39 1/2" but can stretch to 40" in the rear drop out. The long spear points are on the inside of the inner crown. The eyelets I don't know about. I've thought about a front rack but never found how to mount one. I have had a rear rack on it before. What would a good frame weigh from the late 60's? Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-30-19, 10:00 AM
Feldman

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 50 Posts
There was a Mexican bike branded Condor, too. Since the frame parts--the flat fork crown and Cinelli-like lugs-look Italian and since Latin American pro bikes follow Italian patterns (Windsor, Carabela) maybe it's a Mexican Condor?
Likes For Feldman:
Old 12-30-19, 10:06 AM
rgppgr

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well now. Another avenue to google. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-30-19, 12:49 PM
rgppgr

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I found that a Mr. Benotto, Italian frame builder, went to Mexico (Guadalajara) and opened a shop with the name CONDOR. Then moved to Mexico City and changed the name. In looking at Italian Benotto bicycles, there is a remarkable similarity. Thank you Feldman. Now if I could find pictures of Mexican "Benotto" CONDORs. They weren't there very long I gather.
Old 12-30-19, 03:07 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked 3,288 Times in 2,148 Posts
-----

This Mexican Benotto link sounds an interesting possibility.

Will look forward to reading the research results.

Regrding the fork crown:

do not know the maker but have never seen it on a non-Italian machine

Regarding tubing:

the pillar size suggests it is something other than Columbus DB

might be a form of Falck or Columbus plain gauge

three simple checks you can make -

a) examine steerer interior, if helical ribs ("rifling") present it is Columbus

b) examine steerer exterior for any markings

c) under strong light and slight magnification examine exterior of frame tube to search for marking from tubing manufacturer. paint finish appears thin enough that something may show through. a dove indicates Columbus and a letter F indicates Falck.

These two are the most likely tubing manufacturers for the frame.

-----
Old 12-30-19, 03:18 PM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
The frame number doesen’t look
like swiss condor. And they usualy put it on the top end of the nds seat stay.
Old 12-30-19, 05:05 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by rgppgr
Would that person be well known if they built only three frames? I'm wondering what to do with this now. I am getting a Canopus frame that the Campy parts can be installed on. Then make this any thing I want, fixie, local commuter or something else. Something about not knowing who made it. It's like a Bastard bike. Is there any way to determine the tubing. Given the frame weight and tube diameter?
No. That person could fly under the radar. And it could happen that a rank novice with talent could make something as good as your frame. Peter Johnson is fairly famous as a builder because each frame was so good and he made, I think, eight. He also lived where his work was noticed and rode with very well known and well connected friends.

I still think Swiss. Try looking at speedbicycles.ch. The webmaster there would know quickly if my hunch is right.

The only giveaway from tube diameter would be if the seat tube and downtube are 28.0mm instead of normal 28.6. Then we would look at French builders. But with a 27.2 post this is vanishingly unlikely.

Bastard bikes ride as well as named bikes. They are valued way less. Biggest part of price for any used bike is the stickers.

Mexican Condor? Not impossible.
Old 12-30-19, 05:59 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Wait... 26.8 post. Check OD of seat tube. If 28.0 then superlight French. Which again could be Swiss. Also check it is correct size post. If seat lug ears look smashed in/ slot not straight then you have undersized post. Other possibility is the frame is built with 0.8 straight gauge, which is common enough. And used on very fine frames as well as on lesser frames.
Old 01-02-20, 08:12 PM
rgppgr

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I checked the steerer interior and it has no rifling. I forgot to check the exterior for markings.
Old 01-02-20, 08:31 PM
rgppgr

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The seat tube is 28.75 with paint. The seat tube slot is .145 at it's bottom and .149 at the top so it's spread a little. The seat post is tight. As in twist and pull.
Old 01-03-20, 06:28 AM
vintageracer

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've looked at them but haven't found one that matches. Is there a site that has pictures of 60's Italian bike frames? One with close ups of lugs would be great. Did you see a PUCH frame that matched mine?
1965 Sears Ted Williams made by Puch

Likes For vintageracer:
Old 01-03-20, 11:05 AM
rgppgr

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well the color is the same. If the lugs were changed along with the seat stay treatment maybe. I would like to see the inside of your front fork at the crown. What size is your seat post? How is the rear brake cable attached?
Old 01-03-20, 11:21 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
@rgppgr I know of a person in Alexandria that builds his own bike frames. I think he has built 3 maybe 4. He won't build for anyone else due to the liability risks. I think number 3 frame was made with Richard Sachs tubes and lugs. He even builds his own forks now.
Old 01-03-20, 12:06 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
26.8 indicates something like Aelle tubing, which would be consistent with a build by an immigrant to Mexico, using lower end tubing for frames . Smiles, MH

-----

Upon the occasion of the frameset's construction in the late 1960's Aelle was not as yet a twinkle in the eye of Sig. A.L. Colombo.

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 01-03-20, 01:35 PM
rgppgr

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
How does he mark or badge them?
Old 01-03-20, 03:07 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 1,110 Posts
Yeah, I guess you are right. Wonder what other pipes would be age appropriate? Smiles, MH
Old 01-03-20, 05:56 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
I assume you found this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...s-history.html

It’s got a pic of one bike that’s supposedly a Mexican Condor/Benotto.
Old 01-03-20, 08:22 PM
rgppgr

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroGut
I assume you found this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...s-history.html

It’s got a pic of one bike that’s supposedly a Mexican Condor/Benotto.
Yes I did thanks. Benotto was done with CONDOR in 1958. Unless we're way off on the time line, that's to early. The lettering is spot on with all caps. Only the U.K. Condor had a bike with the same all capital lettering. It was also from the 50's, their Italian pro racing model. From what I can see of it in their catalog they are very similar. But only if their Italian model had an Italian BB. The Benotto frames are the closest I've seen to mine, early 70's. He moved to Mexico City in 58 so there is a time gap there of Benotto's I haven't seen. I sent pictures to the Benotto people but I haven't heard back Thanks again. Heavy sigh.
Old 01-07-20, 07:36 AM
juvela

Originally Posted by dimini
Not sure if someone has already mentioned this but the fork crown looks distinctive—plain on the outside shape, yet features the long spear points extending down the inner side of the fork blades. I’d be curious know the wheel base. So odd to me that there would be fender eyelets on the dropouts with such tight clearances up at the fork crown.
-----

regarding brake centres/reaches -

when frames are designed they are done with specific brake model(s) in mind

at the time of the frame's manufacture in the later 1960's it was common for brakesets
to be made with shorter reach on the front than the rear; Weinmann 610/750 for example

it is quite clear when we look at the rear that frame was not designed for Campag brakes. note the need for a dropbolt and even with its use the pads are all the way at the bottom of the slot. maximum reach for the standard Record caliper is 56mm and the dropbolt gives and additional 6.0mm which extends this down to 62mm.

on the front there are two possible reasons for the closeness -

a) manufacturer designed for a caliper with a shorter reach than the Campag

b) when the OEM tubulars were replaced with wired-ons, 27 wheel was selected over the OEM 700. this would reduce the brake centres by 4.0mm.

with consultation of tables of brake reaches it appears maker may have designed for the Universal model Nr. 51 Extra brake set. in this set the front centre of slot dimension is 50.5mm and the rear 64mm.

---

rgppgr -

one thing which might advance the investigation with regard to the possibility of a Benotto Mexico origin would be if you could post an image of the seat tube transfer. it appears to exhibit a crest/emblem which may be of help to the forum's Benotto experts.

-----
Old 01-07-20, 10:34 AM
rgppgr

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

regarding brake centres/reaches -

when frames are designed they are done with specific brake model(s) in mind

at the time of the frame's manufacture in the later 1960's it was common for brakesets
to be made with shorter reach on the front than the rear; Weinmann 610/750 for example

it is quite clear when we look at the rear that frame was not designed for Campag brakes. note the need for a dropbolt and even with its use the pads are all the way at the bottom of the slot. maximum reach for the standard Record caliper is 56mm and the dropbolt gives and additional 6.0mm which extends this down to 62mm.

on the front there are two possible reasons for the closeness -

a) manufacturer designed for a caliper with a shorter reach than the Campag

b) when the OEM tubulars were replaced with wired-ons, 27 wheel was selected over the OEM 700. this would reduce the brake centres by 4.0mm.

with consultation of tables of brake reaches it appears maker may have designed for the Universal model Nr. 51 Extra brake set. in this set the front centre of slot dimension is 50.5mm and the rear 64mm.

---

rgppgr -

one thing which might advance the investigation with regard to the possibility of a Benotto Mexico origin would be if you could post an image of the seat tube transfer. it appears to exhibit a crest/emblem which may be of help to the forum's Benotto experts.

-----
I posted this somewhere. I think it was the Benotto facebook page. At any rate here it is. And I didn't quite follow the front wheel explanation about tire size. 700c is the tire on it now.
Old 01-12-20, 06:36 PM
vintageracer

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've looked at them but haven't found one that matches. Is there a site that has pictures of 60's Italian bike frames? One with close ups of lugs would be great. Did you see a PUCH frame that matched mine?

Puch made 1965 sears Ted Williams
Likes For vintageracer:
Old 01-12-20, 07:11 PM
rgppgr

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
How is the rear break housing attached on the top tube?
Old 01-12-20, 09:25 PM
juvela

How is the rear break housing attached on the top tube?
-----

path is internal

holes in top tube are roughly oval with a metal grommet surrounding them

---

subject frame definitely not a Puch/Steyr/A-D product

you can safely cross it off candidates list

-----

Last edited by juvela; 01-12-20 at 11:03 PM. Reason: addition

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.