Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Carbon Fork?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage Carbon Fork?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-24, 07:20 PM
Epicus07 
Velophile

Bikes: See Signature.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts
Vintage Carbon Fork?

Are we calling late 90s vintage yet?

I’m picking up a ‘98 Titanium Davidson tomorrow with what I assume is a 1in threadless Time equip pro fork. If the frame and carbon fork are immaculate would you ride it without worries or should I anticipate picking up a 1in threadless carbon Ritchey ?
Old 04-13-24, 07:57 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,013 Times in 1,784 Posts
I'm regularly riding 5 forks on bikes that old or older. I don't worry about them.
Old 04-13-24, 10:07 PM
celesteguy 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 54 Posts
I would give it the usual "new to me" inspection for obvious cracks, corrosion, etc and ride it if it looks good. I regularly ride 90s carbon forks with no problems. Actually, one I bought had a crack near the fork shoulder but I hadn't noticed it until after I bought it. I actually put about 100 miles on it before I noticed, and I still have all my teeth. I took it out of service but hope to repair it and use it again.
Likes For celesteguy:
Old 04-14-24, 08:21 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4423 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by celesteguy
I would give it the usual "new to me" inspection for obvious cracks, corrosion, etc and ride it if it looks good. I regularly ride 90s carbon forks with no problems. Actually, one I bought had a crack near the fork shoulder but I hadn't noticed it until after I bought it. I actually put about 100 miles on it before I noticed, and I still have all my teeth. I took it out of service but hope to repair it and use it again.
That would be lunacy to trust a repair made to a carbon fork crown. None of the repair places would do such a repair and the crack itself shows that something is seriously wrong with that fork.

Carbon repair is mostly about fixing impact damage to frames, not structural failure from normal use or structural forces exceeding the design. There is too much going on in the crown to presume that a repair is going to be strong enough to both replace the damage AND make up for whatever flaw allowed it to crack in the first place.

Used forks are cheap. Please throw that one away.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-14-24, 03:39 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Consider the steerer material. Many early carbon forks used an aluminum steerer.

I have this beautiful Look carbon fork, aluminum steerer. Elegant art and I knew the original owner. His steel fork was misaligned from new. I corrected that, exchanged the forks, later sold the frame set on.
Old 04-14-24, 03:54 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Epicus07
Are we calling late 90s vintage yet?

I’m picking up a ‘98 Titanium Davidson tomorrow with what I assume is a 1in threadless Time equip pro fork. If the frame and carbon fork are immaculate would you ride it without worries or should I anticipate picking up a 1in threadless carbon Ritchey ?
You live in Seattle. Why not just take it to Davidson for a check?
Old 04-14-24, 03:55 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4423 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 1,031 Posts
Most old carbon forks had steel steerers. Aluminum only started being used for threadless - and most of those were still steel rather than alloy.