Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to clean bike frame?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How to clean bike frame?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-24, 08:10 AM
MilosJovicCube

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How to clean bike frame?

Hey there,
how to clean dirt spots from bike frame?

I've tried using cloth and water but that didnt do the trick.
it appears there's some sort of a protective layer/foil. Since I'm new to the forum I cant post pics for now.
Bike is Cube acid from 2010 20''

Thanks in advance,
Milos
Old 04-26-24, 08:44 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 3,908 Times in 2,331 Posts
Milos (and thanks for using a real name)- The reference to "foil" is an odd one excepting some decals. Some frames do have a clear paint over the color and sometimes decals (not made of a foil). besides the commercially available specialty bike cleaners there's common dish soap and hot water, WD40 and products like Muck Off for the road tar type spots. I use Finish Line Bike Wash (pink drink) after other cleaning to remove any remaining solvent.

Not aske but- I suggest using a rag applied method od cleaner use. Sprays can get over parts of the bike that don't like cleaners or their residues. Disk brakes, tires, rim sidewalls, handle bar wrap, and ant woven materials (bags) often don't want any oil like products on them. Spray your rag, not the bike. Andy
Old 04-26-24, 08:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6252 Post(s)
Liked 4,853 Times in 3,345 Posts
Foil? You mean like a clear protective tape? Or do you think it's a clear coat that is put over the paint?

If it's not a protective tape, and the spots are on or in it, there might not be much you can do except just live with it.

If you have a picture, upload it to the Gallery here on BF and let us know it's there.

Welcome to BF.

Edit: Oh you did upload them.

Others are here..... https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/33536512

That might be staining of some sort in the clear coat or paint if it's not clear coated. Might can use some rubbing or polishing compound on it, but that comes with another set of future issues since you are removing the top surface of that clear coat or paint.

But if you haven't tried, use some cleaner of some sort. 409, Windex, or any of the cleaners you'd use on a grimy car.

Last edited by Iride01; 04-26-24 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-26-24, 08:59 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4422 Post(s)
Liked 4,065 Times in 2,711 Posts
Mix some isopropyl alcohol and a little Miracle Red and that will usually do pretty well at cleaning a frame without damage but will cut through grease and grime nicely. You can also use the pink cleaners like Finish Line or Muc-Off those work nicely as well and that is my home usage. In the shop we have been using a nice mix with the above and it works really well.
Old 04-26-24, 09:08 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6238 Post(s)
Liked 4,246 Times in 2,381 Posts
At my co-op, I discovered that Fast Orange Hand Cleaner does a very good job of buffing out the black marks from life on a white frame. Gently scrub the spots with the cleaner and rinse it off. Soft Scrub cleanser will probably work as well. Automotive polishes (not wax) will work as well. I just happened to have the hand cleaner on hand and tried it. I just use my fingers to polish the spots
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-26-24, 09:10 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

Others are here..... https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/33536512

That might be staining of some sort in the clear coat or paint if it's not clear coated. Might can use some rubbing or polishing compound on it, but that comes with another set of future issues since you are removing the top surface of that clear coat or paint.
Agree that looks like scuffs in the clear coat, or in some of the other photos into the colour coat too. First I'd try a squirt of WD40 or your preferred spray lube, and rub hard; after that some auto cutting compound or metal polish, and repeat the warning that this could just create a different problem.
Old 04-26-24, 10:12 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 657 Times in 389 Posts
Foil goes on the colander, colander goes on the head. I put a little Dawn on some car wash liquid and scrub with spomge then rinse. If that doesn't get it out, then there is usually a bit of scuffing or other damage to the clear coat (If you bought a matte frame, well, then you are silly). You can Magic Erase it, or compound it a tad, but I find leaving it alone is the best strategy. Chicks dig scars.
Likes For wheelreason: