Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Stem and size suggestion for Fat Bike

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-20, 05:07 PM
blargman

Bikes: Carbon Topstone 105(factory) Size XL, 2012 Specialized Secteur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm lookig to buy an Otso Voytek, that I'd like to convert to drop bar and run it as my 4 seasons gravel/single track/bikepacking bike. I'm not sure if I can get a fit about the same as my cutthroat. From what I can tell from the link below, to get the reach to a similar amount as my cutthroat I'd need a really short stem, 30mm? Thoughts?

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/s...pstone-2019-l/
Old 09-01-20, 02:09 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I tried dirt drop bars on a Pugsley and couldn't make it work long term. I like drops and ran them on everything for awhile. The Pugsley was the first bike in a long time that I thought needed both gears and a normal riser bar.
Old 09-01-20, 09:31 PM
blargman

Bikes: Carbon Topstone 105(factory) Size XL, 2012 Specialized Secteur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Was it the lack of 2x and rise that made you switch back? I’ve certainly been looking at forks with uncut steerer tubes and getting the right reach. I don’t see myself doing anything crazy technical. Most of the trails here in lower Michigan i can ride on my cutthroat. With 20mm stem am i going to have handling issues on gravel/road?

Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
I tried dirt drop bars on a Pugsley and couldn't make it work long term. I like drops and ran them on everything for awhile. The Pugsley was the first bike in a long time that I thought needed both gears and a normal riser bar.
Old 09-02-20, 04:24 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Stems are measured center to center. You can't get a stem that short, add your steerer and handlebar diameter and divide by 2. I ran a 60mm stem. The bars were not wide enough to turn that big front tire and I was too far over the front on rough trails. I snapped the first bar I had on it, and gave the second dirt drop a try for about six months. I ran 32x21 gearing for awhile and it was not low enough for bushwacking and too low for existing trails. I ran 32 with an 11-34 for awhile until I tore the derailer hanger off the frame. They warrantied it, but I put a Nuvinci 360 hub on there to try and it was cool til it broke. After the rebuild it never felt right again. Now I have SRAM 10 speed rear 11-34, 32 tooth front and am running a 27.5x 2.5 rear tire with the fat front.
Old 09-02-20, 09:05 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
A 30mm stem (is that even exists, 35mm may be the practical lower limit) with drops is definitely not ideal for handling. Stems that short are generally paired with wide bars (as in 700-800mm).

You might consider sizing down on the frame size. Of course, that will mean running more stem spacers and/or a riser stem (some people have asthetic issues with that.
Old 09-14-20, 06:56 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
also consider running bar-ends and TT clip-ons if you're after similar hand positions.
Which drop bars are you using?