Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

3D Printed Accessories / Mounts

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

3D Printed Accessories / Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-20, 09:36 AM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
Something else I've 3d printed for a friend is some bottom bracket clamping parts to help him when he is repairing or repainting frames.

Basically a number of different sized top hats that take a 10mm threaded rod so you can clamp the frame more easily (you need two of each size).

Free to share https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4671416

Likes For JonnyHK:
Old 12-08-20, 06:12 AM
WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
JonnyHK your skills are improving and the stuff looks great, keep up the good work. We need more people doing stuff like this.
Old 12-10-20, 09:53 AM
scaszoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all

this is an interesting thread. I'm wondering if someone came up with the idea to modify the bottom cover of the Wahoo Elemnt Roam aero mount. It's possible to remove that part, but I can't find out what it's purpose is.
It sure offers some opportunities, like a GoPro mount attached to such a plate, that can easily be attached and removed with the clip in pins.

I have tried to find 3D print models for that on thingiverse and googled of course... maybe it's more hidden somewhere?

Any hint's welcome

p.s.: modeling it myself would be nice, but sadly I don't have experience with modeling software and the few attempts so far, have shown it's a complex topic

Cheers!

Last edited by scaszoo; 12-10-20 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-10-20, 06:32 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I noticed a couple of days ago that there's a kickstarter for a desktop injection molder that would be perfect for this stuff.
Old 12-12-20, 08:12 AM
JonnyHK 

Originally Posted by adamrice
I noticed a couple of days ago that there's a kickstarter for a desktop injection molder that would be perfect for this stuff.
Link please!!!

EDIT:
This one?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...=injection%20m

Looks great, but I don't have the budget for one, and I'd have to get an SLA 3d printer to really get the most from it (ie making my own 3d printed molds quickly).

Last edited by JonnyHK; 12-12-20 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-12-20, 09:21 AM
JonnyHK 

Just drafted this up.

My GoPro Session cameras (the cube shape) are getting old, but I really don't want to go the boxy rectangle of the newer ones. So I decided to give a cheaper cylindrical camera a go, but was not happy with the cheap mounts which also only really allowed for a handlebar location.

I managed to find a GoPro to flashlight mount on Amazon, but it was designed around a 20mm flashlight body. The camera is 30mm, so whilst it did attach, it was a stretch.

Below is effectively a duplicate of that Amazon sourced mount, but upsized for a 28-32mm cylinder size.

Hooks are for bungie O rings. Thin section in the centre allows for some spring in the mount for different sizes.

Likes For JonnyHK:
Old 12-12-20, 10:37 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyHK
Link please!!!

EDIT:
This one?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...=injection%20m

Looks great, but I don't have the budget for one, and I'd have to get an SLA 3d printer to really get the most from it (ie making my own 3d printed molds quickly).
That's the one.
Old 12-12-20, 10:48 AM
JonnyHK 

Originally Posted by adamrice
That's the one.
maybe I could write to Santa...
Old 12-22-20, 10:00 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
I've inherited an older Campy rear derailleur and it is missing the "Multi function insert". I'm assuming there's not enough room for plastic to not shear off when engaging the teeth, but figured I would ask the experts. This little piece served the same function as a Shimano B screw, rotating the derailleur back for bigger cassettes. I'm guessing you could print a part to fill in the entire recess and teeth to stabilize it and fix it in 1 position? The insert is still available for 40 to 50 bucks, but I'm not that in love with this derailleur.

Old 02-01-21, 12:48 PM
WheresWaldo

I picked up one of these from my local Trek dealer

So I am waiting on a print of my adapter plate, after I verify the fit, you should see a bunch of Trek compatible adapters that fit this mount. According to the shop manager, she told me that this now fits not only the Madone but also the Emonda and Domane. She also told me that Trek pronounces Domane as (Do-ma-nð), dumbest thing I ever heard. Also never noticed that Madone, Emonda & Domane are all the same letters just rearranged, how did I miss that one.
Old 02-09-21, 09:40 PM
doubravsky 

Bikes: Colnago Crystal, GT MTB, Fuji D6 TT bike, Breezer Beltway commuter

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I've been searching through the thread and Shapeways with no luck. Looking for a gopro mount to go on the front cage boss on a rack. The mount is a standard bottle cage boss... in the pic the headlight is mounted there. I've got a long screw that could allow the gopro mount to screw into the same spot, and sit above the headlight and in front of the green randonneur bag in the pic. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Old 02-10-21, 05:54 AM
WheresWaldo

Just finished up a Bianchi Oltre mount, pictures provided by customer and used with permission.

Bare mount

Varia attached

I really appreciate pictures like this because it is sharp enough that you can really see the texture on the 3D printed parts. These are what comes straight off the HP MultiJetFusion 3D printer.
Old 02-10-21, 03:55 PM
WheresWaldo

Just finished up a model of an adapter for the Trek Integrated Seat Post Mount Adapter. This one is for the Garmin Varia. It will be up on Shapeways tomorrow.

I am told by my local Trek dealer that this fits Madone, Domane, and Emonda for 2021. It will place the Varia where the Flare would normally go.
Old 02-11-21, 08:37 AM
rlmalisz

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
Just finished up a model of an adapter for the Trek Integrated Seat Post Mount Adapter. This one is for the Garmin Varia. It will be up on Shapeways tomorrow.

I am told by my local Trek dealer that this fits Madone, Domane, and Emonda for 2021. It will place the Varia where the Flare would normally go.
So Trek calls the thing this mounts to a "seatpost mount", but it looks like it actually mounts to the seat rails? A shame, as I need that space for an under-seat bag...not a lot of places to haul cargo on the Domane! Good-looking print, BTW!

--Richard
Old 02-11-21, 09:01 AM
WheresWaldo

Originally Posted by rlmalisz
So Trek calls the thing this mounts to a "seatpost mount", but it looks like it actually mounts to the seat rails? A shame, as I need that space for an under-seat bag...not a lot of places to haul cargo on the Domane! Good-looking print, BTW!

--Richard
Yeah, Trek's actual name is "Trek Integrated Seatpost Light Mount" Model W561410 even though it attaches to the seat post clamp area. It actually does not attach to the rails in any way, just the clamp. According to Trek it fits MY19+ Madone SLR, MY20+ Domane SL/SLR & MY20+ Madone SL. No mention of Emonda, but my dealer assured me it fits the Emonda also.

BTW, that is a render not a picture of the actual adapter. Adapter is already up on Shapeways site, https://shpws.me/SwBb

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 02-11-21 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-15-21, 01:05 AM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Question: I received a GoPro 8 for Xmas. Are there any Mounts made for the headtube.

I have a 2010 Jamis Ventura Race and a 2010 Trek 2100 9 speed and am wondering if there have been any GoPro mounts made that uses the head tube as a mounting location, or is this a dangerous mounting position, could crush tube?

Reason ask, I saw a dalton fhead tube front mount unit on Instagram the other week.

Both have a oval flat top carbon handlebar - they are different style, brand and shape. handlebars
I have been using a chinese Glub Forward bar with metal GoPro mount for my sony cam for years, but does not work with the handle bars on the two bicycles.

JR

Last edited by Namida12; 02-15-21 at 01:06 AM. Reason: gramer
Old 03-02-21, 11:40 AM
WheresWaldo

GoPro has started cracking down on use of the word GoPro in anything that is not directly from them. I am having to go through my entire catalog of GoPro mounts and change the singular word 'GoPro' appending the word 'Style' or 'Compatible' where appropriate. The consequence of all this editing is that Shapeways is now reviewing every edit (even insignificant ones) before allowing the item on the site. It doesn't matter if it was originally for sale, the edit triggers a review. So some stuff on my Shapeways pages might disappear for a few hours as I work my way through my catalog of models. Also the category that was originally labeled 'GoPro' is now labeled 'GoPro Compatible'.

Shouldn't really be an issue, but you never know.
Old 03-10-21, 01:42 PM
JonnyHK 

GoPro has started cracking down on use of the word GoPro in anything that is not directly from them. I am having to go through my entire catalog of GoPro mounts and change the singular word 'GoPro' appending the word 'Style' or 'Compatible' where appropriate. The consequence of all this editing is that Shapeways is now reviewing every edit (even insignificant ones) before allowing the item on the site. It doesn't matter if it was originally for sale, the edit triggers a review. So some stuff on my Shapeways pages might disappear for a few hours as I work my way through my catalog of models. Also the category that was originally labeled 'GoPro' is now labeled 'GoPro Compatible'.

Shouldn't really be an issue, but you never know.

I just updated all of mine, although I've got a fraction of the designs that you have listed.
Everything seemed to be approved rather quickly.
Old 03-10-21, 02:17 PM
WheresWaldo

Yeah Shapeways is pretty fast when it comes to this approval.
Old 03-13-21, 08:54 AM
gemifet550

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doubravsky
I’m looking for a garmin mount to attach to a spare battery. I’ve got a mount on my aero bars and on the battery. On the top I’d like another mount so my garmin could go above it. Here’s a pic of the bars:

This is the aero bars with the first mount

what I was hoping to do was attach a mount to the top. Tried super glue- popped off gravel riding. Tried JB weld... no luck. There’s (I think) not enough surface area on then mount for a secure bind. Here’s the mount and the battery:

is anyone aware of a mount like this I could order? What would be best I think is a solid flat surface on the bottom to make a solid attachment. Any thoughts?
Dogears replacement plate
Old 04-06-21, 01:04 PM
WheresWaldo

I thought I would post a link to a video that Hewlett Packard posted about the Multi Jet Fusion technology. A lot of it is forward looking but it does explain how their printer works compared to other SLS technologies.

For the most part, I have transitioned all my models to make HP MJF PA12 the default offering. It is much better and stronger than the prints that come off the older EOS machines.
Old 04-06-21, 10:28 PM
Geekage

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
I made a charging cradle for Garmin Edge 530, 830, 1030, and 1030 Plus computers that uses the Charge Power Pack contacts on the bottom of the computer.

It requires extra parts- pogo pins, wire, and a USB C breakout board and you have to print it yourself. If there's enough demand, I'll iterate the Shapeways design so the pogo pins fit better, but you'd still need to get the other parts from DigiKey and solder them yourself.

There are some drawbacks (low charging speed, possibility of short circuit if you do something stupid, error messages because it thinks an external battery got disconnected, not for use while riding, and others, I'm sure), but it's so nice not having to open the charge port door and plug in a micro USB cable- just snap the computer onto the cradle with just one hand.
Likes For Geekage:
Old 04-11-21, 05:14 AM
WheresWaldo

If you are a Look 795 owner, by the way Hambini's favorite bicycle maker, I have some new stuff. Both Garmin and Cycliq mounts. Check out my page on Shapeways.
Old 04-11-21, 06:16 PM
Geekage

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Check out my page on Shapeways.
Out of curiosity, do you run your Shapeways shop as a separate business (with all the tax and legal dis/advantages) or just as a personal project? I'm just wondering in case I decide to sell pogo pin boards for my charging cradle.
Old 04-12-21, 05:29 AM
WheresWaldo

Originally Posted by Geekage
Out of curiosity, do you run your Shapeways shop as a separate business (with all the tax and legal dis/advantages) or just as a personal project? I'm just wondering in case I decide to sell pogo pin boards for my charging cradle.
Anytime you make more than some small base amount, which varies depending on your country of origin, you need to pay taxes on the payout amounts. Everything is on you, Shapeways does nothing to help in this respect. Although I have never asked them directly I believe that since they are a company in the Netherlands, their laws must allow them to run this as a business model without collecting any personal information other than where to send your monthly payout.

Just so you know, it is not easy to grow a business on Shapeways. Several factors include:
  1. Their website sucks and is very difficult to search
  2. They do almost zero SEO for pages other than their own
  3. Without having your own site it is hard to build a brand, but they do have APIs to popular ecommerce platforms
  4. They only pay out based on payout amount and there is a minimum payout of $30 in any given month. That is not the same as what it costs a Shapeways customer, it is your small percentage. In my case, I was selling stuff on Shapeways for four months before I got my first payout of $57 USD.
  5. The way I had to do it was to frequent forums, I only do two, this one and weightweenies. I skip all the others. I do tweet out my creations and post on pinterest and facebook, but I think I have less than 100 followers on those social media platforms. I do ask people who contact me directly to send me photos of their set up and ask permission to repost them. Only a handful ever remember to do that. Since I have been on Shapeways for seven years, I have big head start. I also allowed Shapeways to trial services using my stuff. I also believe stores like mine are the reason Shapeways has pursued being on Amazon.
  6. Lastely, find a niche, something no one else is doing, or very few. There are a few others now that do similar things to what I am offering, but their catalog is very small and most don't take custom requests.

It is very hard to make a living doing this, good thing I am retired and don't rely on Shapeways to pay my bills, only to buy tires and new kit every once in a while. That said, I still ride a 2012 Canondale EVO since I can't afford anything newer, nor do I want anything newer. The EVO is a fantastic bike.

On thing, if what you are doing is of interest to others and you are willing to work with them, that news goes a long ways. I have found references to my models in forums as far away as South Korea, New Zealand, Japan. etc. Quite a few people here and on that other forum have posted or written about my stuff on their social media, and that helps quite a bit.

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 04-12-21 at 05:43 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.