Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Best electric bell / horn?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-18, 11:28 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts

Looking for a 2-in-1 (if it exists) bike horn (for cars) and bike-warning (for pedestrians) that I can operate from an electric button on my handlebars.

Anything out there?
Old 09-21-18, 12:35 PM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Lightbulb

thehornit.com/the-hornit-db140-new
Loud Bicycle | Horn for bikes that sounds like a car
denalielectronics.com/horns
bicyclehero.com/eu/sinji-rwh-100-electric-horn-bicycle-bell.html
bicyclehero.com/us/sinji-rh-050ex-electric-horn-bicycle-bell.html

Last edited by angerdan; 09-22-18 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-22-18, 02:59 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
Those all look awesome (and impressively loud)! But none of them have 'button A = horn, button B = bicycle bell for pedestrians'. Any other thoughts?
Old 09-22-18, 05:33 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
It may well be easier for you as a cyclist to have two bells. A simple handlebar bell, and an emergency air horn.

That way it will be less likely you blast pedestrians on the bike path with the air horn... unless they really need it.

Less confusing that way.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 09-22-18, 07:52 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Let's maybe clear the waters a bit. In my memory Hornit was ridiculed in these forums. Denali horns require a motorcycle level power supply. Sinji running off two AAA batteries are going to produce a mosquito level sound. This leaves from this list the Loud Bicycle Horn as the only practical contender, employing in fact sensible components for the task. Having a regular bike bell in addition to a device for special circumstances is the common-sense solution.
Old 09-22-18, 08:23 PM
CliffordK

Also the AirZound

Hmmm... will it also work for a Tubeless bead setter?

If you have to blast your air horn more than a couple of times per ride, then there is something wrong.
Old 09-22-18, 10:34 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Originally Posted by CliffordK
If you have to blast your air horn more than a couple of times per ride, then there is something wrong.
I have a horn that toggles through different sounds of a car alarm when you keep it on long enough. If a car blocks my passage I put it into operation for as long as the car keeps blocking me. Of course, I pay attention to whether the car has a safe way to move out of my way and/or whether the driver acknowledges my presence and tries to do something - I activate the horn only when there appears no other way out. It is a wonderful negotiating instrument, nearly failproof - I do not need to yeel, gesture - I just press the button.
Old 09-22-18, 11:52 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by 2_i
I have a horn that toggles through different sounds of a car alarm when you keep it on long enough. If a car blocks my passage I put it into operation for as long as the car keeps blocking me. Of course, I pay attention to whether the car has a safe way to move out of my way and/or whether the driver acknowledges my presence and tries to do something - I activate the horn only when there appears no other way out. It is a wonderful negotiating instrument, nearly failproof - I do not need to yeel, gesture - I just press the button.
I just scowl. But, I'm not sure how much it helps.

It is only rarely that a car will block my forward progress along streetside bike paths, usually when I'm pulling a trailer.

And, only one intersection on a median strip bike path where cars regularly park in the middle of the bike path waiting for lights and hole in traffic. They mostly leave the vehicle intersection clear, but pack in front of the median strip bike path... they are just bikes and pedestrians trying to safely cross after all.
Old 09-23-18, 12:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Question

LBS Has a Hornit on display , it seems seems loud, enough..

Best?, send me all of them and I can opine better as to ranking..
maybe send a VU meter, too, so I can gather Desibel data...

My Buddy brought his old Air Zounds on a Sail Boat trip from Orcas Isle to Olympia .
you need a horn to get the drawbridge across the canal to get to Lake Washington,
in Seattle, lifted, ... it was sufficient for that purpose..
Old 09-23-18, 01:50 PM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ElJamoquio
Those all look awesome (and impressively loud)! But none of them have 'button A = horn, button B = bicycle bell for pedestrians'. Any other thoughts?
At least the hornit has a separate button to switch between high/low.

Originally Posted by 2_i
Let's maybe clear the waters a bit. In my memory Hornit was ridiculed in these forums.
I have the hornit, it's recognizable louder than the 10€ china horns with 5 different sounds. I can recommend the hornit.
And i have about ten years experience with electric bicycle horns.
Old 09-24-18, 01:47 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Let's maybe clear the waters a bit. In my memory Hornit was ridiculed in these forums. Denali horns require a motorcycle level power supply. Sinji running off two AAA batteries are going to produce a mosquito level sound. This leaves from this list the Loud Bicycle Horn as the only practical contender, employing in fact sensible components for the task. Having a regular bike bell in addition to a device for special circumstances is the common-sense solution.
True, the Hornit was ridiculed but I think it was because of the type of sound that it made. This new version looks like it is not only louder ( 140 db ) but offers both the original high pitched sound and a more car like sound. At 140 db it is listed as higher than the Loud Bicycle Horn ( 125 db ). I don't use a horn but if I rode in a more urban setting I'd likely go with the Hornit because it is smaller and more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Turned upside down on the bars it would not be so obvious. The Loud Bicycle Horn on the other hand sticks out like a sore thumb and makes the bike look like the dork-mobile.
Old 09-24-18, 02:27 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by angerdan
Those accursed jagged lines. Whoever came up with that idea should be horse whipped. I hope that never crossed the pond. Every time I see them my OCD goes into overdrive. As for the horn, I like it.
Old 09-24-18, 10:11 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Those accursed jagged lines. Whoever came up with that idea should be horse whipped. I hope that never crossed the pond. Every time I see them my OCD goes into overdrive. As for the horn, I like it.
I'm running your comment through the NSA super computers to see if they can make heads or tails from it. I'll let others know if the translation / encryption program comes up with anything coherent.
Old 09-25-18, 03:33 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do
I'm running your comment through the NSA super computers to see if they can make heads or tails from it. I'll let others know if the translation / encryption program comes up with anything coherent.
Make sure that you do. And you may also add that I've had it up to here every time I see a UK post. *(&^%$@#!
Old 10-16-18, 10:04 AM
Kahsyrbag

Bikes: J.C. Higgins Freightliner built between 1958-1963, 1985 Mongoose City Bike, Sear & Roebucks Ted Williams Signature Series Free Spirit mid 70s, 2005 Schwinn Stingray Stealth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
That "Loud Bicycle Horn for bikes that sounds like a car" Is standard car horns made to fit bikes, you can also just run a car horn off a small 12v lithium drill battery, I run truck air horns that way.
Old 10-17-18, 05:42 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Loud inside a store isn't loud in traffic. That's my experience with the Hornit at 140db. The tone sounds feeble from inside a car with the windows closed. The second setting is the chirping which spunds too much like a car alarm. And everybody ignores car alarms.

I find the AirZounds to be more effective even though it's rated lower at 120db. Its tone can penetrate and catch the attention inside a car wirh windows closed a lot better.

Ideally I would want the Loud Bike Horn but it's too pricy.

Does anybody know what the Denali horns sound like?
Old 10-18-18, 02:54 AM
Kahsyrbag

Bikes: J.C. Higgins Freightliner built between 1958-1963, 1985 Mongoose City Bike, Sear & Roebucks Ted Williams Signature Series Free Spirit mid 70s, 2005 Schwinn Stingray Stealth

I just got told by the cops yesterday to turn my bicycles sound system down, so maybe be careful with any loud horns.
Old 10-18-18, 03:24 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Kahsyrbag
I just got told by the cops yesterday to turn my bicycles sound system down, so maybe be careful with any loud horns.
The cops in your town must be pretty bored, or there must not be any crime in your city? What will he do, give you a ticket for loud bike horn? Unless he's carrying a sound level meter good luck proving that in court.
Old 10-18-18, 06:48 AM
Kahsyrbag

College City, so the cops just suck in general cause they have to deal with campus stupidity all the time.
Old 10-18-18, 07:21 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Horns don't work in California. They don't work for cars, they certainly don't work for bikes. I've watched a car ruthlessly cut off another, and the guy getting cut off laid onto the horn for probably a solid 10 seconds. No one-- especially the car doing the cutting-- made any reaction whatsoever. It was just another loud noise in a sea of loud noises. You could ride down the street with a car alarm going off, and still get close-passed. The only thing that would get you properly noticed, and probably arrested, would be the ability to generate that woop-woop siren quick-burst cop cars can make. That gets a reaction out of people.

I've just taken to yelling Oi! at the top of my lungs at cars that are behaving badly. People here don't know what to make of Oi! so they actually pause to see where it came from. Probably less effective in the UK. Also, free, no batteries required.
Old 10-19-18, 08:25 PM
Daniel4

Something doesn't make sense here. If the cop heard your horn, that means you used it on somebody: a car? a pedestrian?

Did the cop investigate what the problem was that made you use your horn? Or did you sound it just to show off?
Old 10-20-18, 05:00 AM
Kahsyrbag

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Something doesn't make sense here. If the cop heard your horn, that means you used it on somebody: a car? a pedestrian?

Did the cop investigate what the problem was that made you use your horn? Or did you sound it just to show off?
It wasn't my horn they talked to me about, but my sound system.
Old 10-20-18, 12:23 PM
Daniel4

It wasn't my horn they talked to me about, but my sound system.
Sound system? You mean music and podcasts? I carry a transistor radio in my breast pocket and listen to talk radio. Traffic noises are so loud they drown out my radio. But in park trails they are a good warning to pedrstrians on my approach.

Is this what the cop was complaining about? No way I'm going to wear ear buds or a headset with my radio on.
Old 10-20-18, 02:22 PM
Kahsyrbag

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Sound system? You mean music and podcasts? I carry a transistor radio in my breast pocket and listen to talk radio. Traffic noises are so loud they drown out my radio. But in park trails they are a good warning to pedrstrians on my approach.

Is this what the cop was complaining about? No way I'm going to wear ear buds or a headset with my radio on.
I built onto my bike a stereo that can be heard above traffic, 6.5" speakers, 3" super tweeters, 12" subwoofer.
Old 12-25-20, 06:57 PM
2_i 

Originally Posted by Robert111
I bought Coolrunner as a joke for my co-worker’s scooter he’s using while his broken foot heals. I wasn’t expecting to be so impressed with it! Looks great and has an awesome old-school sound. It’s much louder than you would expect too - always makes me laugh when I hear it coming down the hallway! Great purchase and totally worth the price