Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Bontrager Duo Trap S + Edge 500 = sporadic speed dropout; request assistance

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Bontrager Duo Trap S + Edge 500 = sporadic speed dropout; request assistance

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 09:28 AM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by horn1977
Yeah, the last firmware upgrade a few days ago resolved it. Can't speak to the iPhone issue. But like you, I've noticed that the process of pushing Bolt data through to Strava via my iPhone has been a bit clumsy lately. Sometimes I have to power the Bolt down and back on, or quit and reopen the Wahoo app on the phone. I've never *not* been able to get it to transfer with some fidgeting.
Yep - there's a syncing issue now between bolt and phone. Strava isn't the issue for once. If you go into "history" in the Wahoo App you'll see your ride isn't synced there (at least that's what I see) and you have to turn off the Bolt to get it to sync with the app. Once it does, it uploads to strava (and other apps)
Old 12-29-20, 09:32 PM
qmatodd@me.com

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
A fix that worked for me!

I ride a 2020 Domane SL7 with a duotrap S and Garmin 530 computer. Though everything worked at first I recently experienced similar issues reported here. Specifically, speed would jump around +\- 5MPH while cruising at a constant speed. Cadence reporting remained accurate while average speed and distance traveled were negatively affected.

I called and emailed garmin whose replies seemed geared more toward deflecting responsibility away from themselves rather than assisting a customer to solve a problem.

I then found this forum and tried many of the recommendations mentioned here, also to no avail. Finally in a last ditch effort prior to trashing both the garmin and duotrap I decided to give the entire system another inspection and strip down.

What I found was that my spoke mounted magnet had shifted less than 1/8” from center to the mark on the Duotrap sensor. I didn’t give this much thought on my earlier inspection because the red and green LED lights would flash when I spun the wheel and crank indicating that the sensor was receiving a signal from the magnets.

I decided to move the spoke mounted speed sensor magnet so the the center precisely aligned with the mark on the sensor. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this solved my problem. I am guessing that actual riding forces, like road vibrations and the centripetal forces on magnet may have been interfering with an occasional revolution resulting in the erratic speed and distance calculations.
Likes For qmatodd@me.com:
Old 06-11-21, 12:53 AM
adaptev

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello - this is my first post on this forum... am riding a brand new 2021 Domane SLR9, size 58, which came with integrated DuoTrap S - using my (almost new) Wahoo Elemnt Roam. This thread is the closest I can find which explains the symptoms I'm having. I've used the Roam on my older Trek, and never had an issue, with an old school Bontrager Interchange sensor . For the past few rides on this new bike, with no correlation to location, cadence, speed, weather, the data simply gets dropped intermittently... either not being recorded and not transmitting, or just not transmitting... but only intermittently. To give you a sense of severity... our regular 42km ride has suddenly become a ~37km ride. I've done all the usual trouble-shooting... I've had no problems pairing, multiple times forget/reconnect etc. The Elemnt Roam has the latest software patch etc. My DuoTrap firmware version is 5.4 and hardware version 4. I've tried my local shop, but to no avail. I recognise this thread has gone quiet, but I'm hoping there's still a chance someone has conjured up a solution. Thanks... for other Domane fans on the forum, the new bike is a stunningly beautiful ride, very satisfied Trek customer aside from this little annoyance.
Old 07-11-21, 04:15 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by qmatodd@me.com
I ride a 2020 Domane SL7 with a duotrap S and Garmin 530 computer. Though everything worked at first I recently experienced similar issues reported here. Specifically, speed would jump around +\- 5MPH while cruising at a constant speed. Cadence reporting remained accurate while average speed and distance traveled were negatively affected.

I called and emailed garmin whose replies seemed geared more toward deflecting responsibility away from themselves rather than assisting a customer to solve a problem.

I then found this forum and tried many of the recommendations mentioned here, also to no avail. Finally in a last ditch effort prior to trashing both the garmin and duotrap I decided to give the entire system another inspection and strip down.

What I found was that my spoke mounted magnet had shifted less than 1/8” from center to the mark on the Duotrap sensor. I didn’t give this much thought on my earlier inspection because the red and green LED lights would flash when I spun the wheel and crank indicating that the sensor was receiving a signal from the magnets.

I decided to move the spoke mounted speed sensor magnet so the the center precisely aligned with the mark on the sensor. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this solved my problem. I am guessing that actual riding forces, like road vibrations and the centripetal forces on magnet may have been interfering with an occasional revolution resulting in the erratic speed and distance calculations.

Upgrade to the Domane from a Madone 5.0 warranty claim. I am having the same issue on my second ride with the Duotrap S on my 2021 Domane SL6. Worked yesterday but for that ride the cadence magnet was not correct os it did not work. Fixed that and now the speed is erratic. I am wondering if it is the battery. IF all else fails I have my Wahoo sensor I can put on the wheel. I still have to used the Duotrap S for cadence. The Wahoo Sensor will only fit using thin double sided tape.

edit. Tried new battery and adjusting the magnet locations. No improvement.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 07-12-21 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-12-21, 04:28 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I have an idea the erratic speed with the Duotrap S is interference of the its cadence signal. When I stop pedalling the speed is steady. I even have the wahoo cadence and speed sensors on and they don’t cause the erratic speed. Now for Trek to point a finger at Garmin and Garmin to do likewise.

Edit: Figures it out. The cadence magnet was too close to the sensor speed area. What was confusing was the thin/small magnet band is too thin and the middle size too thick for the Domane with Ultegra crank. I used double stick 3M tape to attach the larger magnet that came with the Duotrap. For the 58cm frame mounted just below the pedal.

Still need to remove the Wahoo sensor after I confirm the reliability.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 07-15-21 at 06:47 PM.