Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

How to measure for disc brake braze ons

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-21, 03:14 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts

I am sure its a stupid question, but how I measure the distance between the triangle of a bike frame in order to properly have a braze on bracket for a rear disc brake. I just got a trek 1989 trek 930, single track and would like to mount the bracket horizontally. Thanks!
Old 01-04-21, 04:04 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
There are fixtures for that. I need to put together a list now that Anvil is gone
https://www.alexmeade.org/Tools.htm

You can search this forum for ideas on how to do it without a fixture. Basically use a wheel and a brake that you don't mind messing up
Old 01-04-21, 07:06 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Originally Posted by unterhausen
There are fixtures for that. I need to put together a list now that Anvil is gone
custom made frame building tools

You can search this forum for ideas on how to do it without a fixture. Basically use a wheel and a brake that you don't mind messing up
Thanks for the info. I think I am going to go from catilever brakes to v-brakes. That way I won't have to spend cash on getting the brackets welded on, the cash it would cost to buy a new wheelset and fork.
Likes For grizzly907la:
Old 01-04-21, 08:19 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

That's what I would do and I have everything I need to put a disc mount on there. Also, the paint looks good enough I wouldn't really want to have to refinish it.
Old 01-04-21, 10:19 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by unterhausen
That's what I would do and I have everything I need to put a disc mount on there. Also, the paint looks good enough I wouldn't really want to have to refinish it.
I am going to rebuild the bike. Paint it, new BB, maybe a new crankset, Shifters, derailleurs, v-brakes. Quill adapter, some trekking bars and maybe some taller 26" tires. Maybe spiffy up the wheels. I could put new spokes on, however I heard wheel building can be a PITA. The components ware kind of raggety, but I am wondering if they can cleaned up and refurbished. I've been wanting to do a project bike for a while now, and I have one. Apologies for thinking out loud.
Old 03-05-21, 12:33 PM
xXhamncheezXx

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CAD file, schematic, or precise measurements for post mounts

Hi, I'm designing a few frames in Fusion360, and I can't find any info on the dimensions or measurements needed for a post mount. Does anyone have any resources on this?

Thanks
Old 03-05-21, 01:58 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Post mount info is out there. https://www.google.com/search?q=bicy...w=1288&bih=786

Flat mount is a little more work to find, search for bicycle brake flat mount dimensions. Peter Verdone has written about it some.
Old 03-05-21, 02:25 PM
xXhamncheezXx

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peter Verdones website is perfect. Exactly what I'm looking for.

It even has 148mm spacing, which is what I'm after. Thanks!
Old 03-05-21, 03:35 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

The spacing is from the dropout face. Although when the PM spec came out they hadn't started playing with where the face is. Through axle has the dropout face 3.5mm outboard relative to the mounts. Which is why I have 2 tiny little spacers for my flat mount fixture.

Okay, I might have garbled this, dsaul will be along shortly to straighten me out.
Likes For unterhausen: