Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Speedometer, gps’s, and whatnot

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Speedometer, gps’s, and whatnot

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-20, 06:34 PM
Ctmcycling

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lightbulb Speedometer, gps’s, and whatnot

`I’m totally new to road biking. I don’t really understand the speed things and the purpose of the garmins. Can someone inform me on the electronics, what they do, and why I need them. I would really appreciate it.
Old 12-24-20, 06:40 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Good to track your miles for maintenance needs.

Old 12-24-20, 07:49 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Depending on what you get, it’ll tell you how fast you’re going, how long you’ve bee riding, how far you’ve gone. If you have a heart rate monitor or power meter, it’ll show that data too. Most GPS units now have maps, so they help navigate. Some will synch with your phone so you can see if have a text or call without having to get your phone out.
Likes For caloso:
Old 12-24-20, 07:49 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3235 Post(s)
Liked 2,080 Times in 1,178 Posts
Older model bike computers used a magnet in the spokes to count wheel revolutions. That gave you speed, plus time and distance, avg. speed, etc.., GPS units use satellites and can generate same data using position and time moving. Garmins and others also dump the data to an online activity tracker where you can keep track of rides and metrics. Garmins also can be used for navigating a route you create, so gives you turn-by-turn directions in screen. If you are doing an organized ride the route is often available in a digital format where you get TBT info as well as a map of the route,
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 12-24-20, 07:50 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I use my Garmin to pace myself and compete with my prior rides as far as speed and distance. It also leaves a track, but I never look at that. I do use it for the % grade when climbing or descending a hill too. Oh, let's not forget the time in the corner, or the max speed logged, among many other little features that really don't amount to much except for personal entertainment haha. I might get a cadence attachment for it at some point in the future,

I should add-I spent many years in the field where GPS coords were everything so it kind of trickled down into my civilian life.

Last edited by Bigbus; 12-25-20 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-25-20, 08:04 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by Ctmcycling
`I’m totally new to road biking. I don’t really understand the speed things and the purpose of the garmins. Can someone inform me on the electronics, what they do, and why I need them. I would really appreciate it.
You do not need them.

But, if you wanted to know how fast you were going, how far, etc., then they are nice to have. It is basically the speedometer and odometer equivalent to a car.

And if you wanted to pay more, you can get heart rate monitor, speed of your crankset (cadence), maybe a map of where you went and where the roads are, or the ability to take data after a ride and turn that into an electronic track, or maybe to find the best way to get to a specific point from where you are, etc.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 12-25-20, 08:03 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
I agree with Tourist in MSN that they are not needed. But they are a cool toy. I use Garmin Connect and Strava to find and create routes that I can use the Garmin to navigate. It is fun and or interesting to look at the data that is collected. And isn't collecting toys for your hobby one of the fun parts?
Old 12-25-20, 08:26 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
You don't *need* them. But for some of us it helps with motivation.

Some friends who are totally self motivated don't record their rides on anything. No GPS, speedometer, odometer, nothing. They just ride and enjoy it.

But because I was very competitive in my youth I find it helps me to stay motivated when I can compare data from a phone app, computer, etc., over time. Helps put things into perspective when I feel "bad" but the data shows I'm still chugging along just fine. Also helps keep me humble when I feel like speed racer but the data shows I'm very middle of the pack or slower.
Old 12-25-20, 10:03 PM
Toespeas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
the head unit is just like a car , it gives you data , its also very convenient , but some costing 300 plus is just ridiculous and not very practical , you can always use a cheap phone , track your fitness , run navigation to wireless earbuds , play music , never get lost
Old 12-26-20, 11:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
They record where you were and what your metrics were for that ride. I can look back and see where I went on all my rides since getting one circa 2010.

Makes it a lot easier than having to write it all down and document it by hand.

But if you don't care to know those things then there is absolutely no reason to get one. Only get the stuff for riding a bike that means something to you. Don't think because others use something that you must use it too.
Old 12-26-20, 02:08 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
I don’t really understand the speed things
I find it useful to distinguish cycling metrics (speed, distance, cadence, power and somewhat related, heart rate) and navigation data (location, course, route, maps).

[...] and the purpose of the garmins.
Garmin is probably the leading name in this business. But there are many alternatives.

Cheapest (and perhaps most reliable) are wired systems. Usually a magnet on your wheel and a sensor on your fork connected to a display on your handlebars. Largely superseded by standard wireless sensors (ANT+ or Bluetooth, often Garmin) sending their bits to a dedicated head unit (often a Garmin), or to your smart phone or smart watch (often Garmin). Numerous configurations are possible.

The vast majority of head units provide navigation data (i.e. GPS), whereas wired systems do not.

You may want to start with a low end wired system to track speed/distance and perhaps cadence, and navigate with your phone. You'll eventually figure out where you want to invest (or not).

Last edited by gauvins; 12-26-20 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-26-20, 03:20 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4247 Post(s)
Liked 1,352 Times in 938 Posts
Three basic levels of functionality. Each higher level includes the functionality of lower levels).

1- Current speed and data (like cadence). And distance traveled and average speed at the end.
2- Ride history (where you rode and the speed/data at each point).
3- Navigation.

GPS is needed for 2 and 3.

GPS is sufficient for basic speed but a speed sensor is more accurate for instantaneous speed. So, while you don't need a speed sensor with a GPS, you'll want one if accurate instantaneous speed is really important to you. But GPS alone is fine for speed.

Speed sensors work by counting wheel rotations and multiplying the rotations by the wheel circumference.

With an accurate wheel circumference, speed sensors produce very good distance traveled numbers. That means , if all you are interested in is how far you rode your current speed, and an average at the end of a ride, you don't need the expense of a GPS.

GPS units have relatively short battery runtimes. That means they are something you'll need to recharge regularly. If you want history and/or navigation, you'll need to get a GPS unit.

Not all GPS units provide navigation. Not all GPS units that provide navigation provide the same level of navigation. Navigation is better with a bigger screen. Not everybody cares about navigation.

Level 1 devices can last for months on a coin battery and are relatively cheap. They can be wired or wireless. If you opt for wireless, opt for digital.
​​​​​​

Last edited by njkayaker; 12-26-20 at 03:34 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 12-28-20, 02:51 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Three basic levels of functionality. Each higher level includes the functionality of lower levels).

1- Current speed and data (like cadence). And distance traveled and average speed at the end.
2- Ride history (where you rode and the speed/data at each point).
3- Navigation.

GPS is needed for 2 and 3.

GPS is sufficient for basic speed but a speed sensor is more accurate for instantaneous speed. So, while you don't need a speed sensor with a GPS, you'll want one if accurate instantaneous speed is really important to you. But GPS alone is fine for speed.

Speed sensors work by counting wheel rotations and multiplying the rotations by the wheel circumference.

With an accurate wheel circumference, speed sensors produce very good distance traveled numbers. That means , if all you are interested in is how far you rode your current speed, and an average at the end of a ride, you don't need the expense of a GPS.

GPS units have relatively short battery runtimes. That means they are something you'll need to recharge regularly. If you want history and/or navigation, you'll need to get a GPS unit.

Not all GPS units provide navigation. Not all GPS units that provide navigation provide the same level of navigation. Navigation is better with a bigger screen. Not everybody cares about navigation.

Level 1 devices can last for months on a coin battery and are relatively cheap. They can be wired or wireless. If you opt for wireless, opt for digital.
​​​​​​
Pretty much says it all!

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 12-28-20, 03:49 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 692 Posts
I'd never needed a high tech device before I started structured training on my road bike.
Previously I was happy with speed and distance, just out of interest.

With training comes the need for Heart Rate, Cadence, and ideally Power.
All of which are displayed in real-time and logged for future use by the fancy bike computer.

Barry
Old 12-28-20, 03:54 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
i got the garmin edge for my BD I think I will love it. I currently have a specialized cheapo model that works pretty well and is fairly accurate. I dont need either one but we really dont need them in cars either as long as you can read a map.Which I doubt many have ever done.
Old 12-28-20, 04:15 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Njkayaker made a really good point. If you want one just for speed and distance, the older style stand alone bike computers that did not use satellite data are very low power. I have some wired bike computers with coin type CR2032 batteries that last for a couple years. My wireless ones, I might get a year out of the same coin type batteries, but that is a maybe. These count wheel revolutions with a magnet mounted on a spoke and a sensor on a fork or stay.

But, GPS, you are talking hours, not months or years for battery life. Usually those are rechargeable batteries, but some use AA batteries. I use NiMH rechargeable AA batteries in my GPS.
Old 12-29-20, 07:43 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I really don't need anything more than using Strava on my phone. I mainly use it to keep track of my miles, though on occasion I'll track my speed if I'm riding my usual route and want to improve my performance. But I'm more concerned with tracking distance over anything else. I do have a speedometer app on my phone but I rarely use it.
Old 01-13-21, 08:02 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Um
Phones are now the PAN (personal area network) that consolidate the other devices in your world
like it or not
they do the job
BT sensors, and a cell phone do everything you had done by other devices, and do it better.
A cheap Chinese speedo odo , maybe , but is soooo 1980. So was Apple ll.
Get a speed sensor , maybe add cadence , and a cell phone and let Garmin argue with its stockholders about the future.
Buy what you need, not what that market guys want to sell.
Old 01-15-21, 01:32 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Tracking and Training....I mean serious training makes a computer nessasary.

I would not go without my Garmin for either purposes.

Yes my Garmin costs on my bikes (3) is maybe $1000 for everything, for me well worth it!