Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Diamant Frame set Info Request

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Diamant Frame set Info Request

Old 06-11-20, 04:04 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

wrt the "flag embellishments" -

have you considered they may refer to a team or club rather than a nation?

making no claims - an idea to possibly explore

-----
Old 06-11-20, 04:46 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,581 Times in 1,762 Posts
I wouldn't put too much weight on those colors. Those stripes on the seat stay caps were often, if not always, combined with the same color scheme on the fork crown tops, and AFIK part of the paint job with which these frames were delivered.

And they weren't always made directly for the shop that would use and brand them, but also to wholesalers, who'd sell them to whichever shop wanted them.

This is an example from my own collection. A "Swift Campione". I am pretty sure both the Swift and Campione decals were generic decals available to the trade to jazz up their bikes.

In this case the colors were probably chosen to suggest a high level of Italian-ness, but what to think of this colors on this Jan de Reus? A pic of a rebranded Belgian frame that I found online:

Another Jan de Reus I spotted at a C&V event a few years back:

This has the same color scheme as this bike of my own that has remained unbranded:

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 06-11-20, 05:23 PM
Dannyboy21

Bikes: 1980 Marinoni Special, 1987 Ciocc Microf. C40, 1978 Raleigh Competition GS, 1982 Colnago Super, 1972 Gitane Pro TdF, 1976 Belgian Diamant by Martelly, 1989 Trek 520, 1972 Dawes Galaxy 2014 Cervelo R5, 2020 Salsa Warbird, 2013 Giant Trance X1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

wrt the "flag embellishments" -

have you considered they may refer to a team or club rather than a nation?

making no claims - an idea to possibly explore

-----
juvela
For sure. Knowing that Luxembourg borders Belgium and also being familiar with the former nation's flag I thought there might be something to it, and would be fun to investigate. The guy who sold it to me says he has some notes on quite a few of his bikes that he bought over the years. I am interested to find out where he got it from.

Last edited by Dannyboy21; 06-11-20 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-09-20, 03:12 PM
Dannyboy21

Bikes: 1980 Marinoni Special, 1987 Ciocc Microf. C40, 1978 Raleigh Competition GS, 1982 Colnago Super, 1972 Gitane Pro TdF, 1976 Belgian Diamant by Martelly, 1989 Trek 520, 1972 Dawes Galaxy 2014 Cervelo R5, 2020 Salsa Warbird, 2013 Giant Trance X1

Here is the Diamant all built up for gravel. Used a mix of Suntour Cyclone and Superbe. Nisi tubulars with 33mm Challenge Grifos. Currently using a 110 BCD FSA Gossamer until I can find a suitable vintage compact crank. Hint hint. Thanks to Lascauxcaveman for the idea (on a separate Cambio Rino thread) to build up for gravel! Guess what I am doing tomorrow morning?!
Old 07-09-20, 03:13 PM
Dannyboy21

Here is the Diamant all built up for gravel. Used a mix of Suntour Cyclone and Superbe. Nisi tubulars with 33mm Challenge Grifos. Currently using a 110 BCD FSA Gossamer until I can find a suitable vintage compact crank. Hint hint. Thanks to pstock for the awesome frameset and to Lascauxcaveman for the idea (on a separate Cambio Rino thread) to build up for gravel! Guess what I am doing tomorrow morning?!
Old 07-09-20, 03:26 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Nice to see it back on the road! Please, let us know how you like it.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 07-09-20, 05:03 PM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Might be a team bike. GDR is the English for DDR (East Germany) and Diamant is an eastern brand. I suspect if it really has Reynolds tubing it was built for the Olympics, but that's just a guess.
Small correction: Diamant was at some time an eastern brand, but it was there before the war and pioneered some cool stuff like an alloy frame in the thirties. Beeing eastern block after the war makes me wonder about this frame as neither nice lugs like this nor Campagnolo dropouts were readily available for them (not saying some may have found their way - in the seventies/eighties, the "Kader Fahrer" = riders of the national team had western frames and parts but usually Italian, which this frame isn't) and most after-war Diamant frames were quite crude by today's standards, entirely not looking like this.
It might be a western "import" from France or Belgium, swapped at some race where westerners participated (swap trade being a common way to get what otherwise was sparse) - fried of mine was in contact with Easterners at the time of the cold War and often came back with boxes full of "Kovalit" tires, which one could get for and Old Campy part, or once a Chinese made truing stand that could also double as an oil tankers anchor. This could mean some very interesting history behind this bike bc only a member of the national team would possibly see the need to rebrand and apply GDR decals. Or a fake, since inside the GDR the abbreviation "DDR" was customary--in western Germany, that would be "" DDR"" since the moniker and the state behind it were never really recognized as a state. GDR was only used in the English speaking west afaik

Last edited by martl; 07-09-20 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-09-20, 05:24 PM
Dannyboy21

Originally Posted by martl
Small correction: Diamant was at some time an eastern brand, but it was there before the war and pioneered some cool stuff like an alloy frame in the thirties. Beeing eastern block after the war makes me wonder about this frame as neither nice lugs like this nor Campagnolo dropouts were readily available for them (not saying some may have found their way - in the seventies/eighties, the "Kader Fahrer" = riders of the national team had western frames and parts but usually Italian, which this frame isn't) and most after-war Diamant frames were quite crude by today's standards, entirely not looking like this.
It might be a western "import" from France or Belgium, swapped at some race where westerners participated (swap trade being a common way to get what otherwise was sparse) - fried of mine was in contact with Easterners at the time of the cold War and often came back with boxes full of "Kovalit" tires, which one could get for and Old Campy part, or once a Chinese made truing stand that could also double as an oil tankers anchor. This could mean some very interesting history behind this bike bc only a member of the national team would possibly see the need to rebrand and apply GDR decals. Or a fake, since inside the GDR the abbreviation "DDR" was customary--in western Germany, that would be "" DDR"" since the moniker and the state behind it were never really recognized as a state. GDR was only used in the English speaking west afaik
I am not sure where people are seeing the GDR on the frameset? In my research I have found there have been a few bicycle lines with the brand name Diamant. This is definitely a Belgian made bike. I have an email from the framemaker, renowned Eddy Martelly Martens confirming he built the frameset in 1976 and sold it to August Simons of Diamant bicycles.

Last edited by Dannyboy21; 07-10-20 at 06:45 AM.
Likes For Dannyboy21:
Old 07-10-20, 10:32 AM
Dannyboy21

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Nice to see it back on the road! Please, let us know how you like it.
non-fixie - 20 Km maiden voyage in 33°C heat. Very smooth ride. I was happy the headset handled the washboard sections without loosening at all. Have a little work to do on the rear derailleur but the Suntour barcons and Cyclone stuff worked well. The 36 front 23 rear made Some of the steep gravel uphills a little cumbersome. Might have to slap a 34t on the front and consider GT rear mech to accommodate more teeth on the free wheel. Very pleased all in all.
Old 07-10-20, 01:10 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by Dannyboy21
non-fixie - 20 Km maiden voyage in 33°C heat. Very smooth ride. I was happy the headset handled the washboard sections without loosening at all. Have a little work to do on the rear derailleur but the Suntour barcons and Cyclone stuff worked well. The 36 front 23 rear made Some of the steep gravel uphills a little cumbersome. Might have to slap a 34t on the front and consider GT rear mech to accommodate more teeth on the free wheel. Very pleased all in all.
Thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated!

Glad to read that your first impressions are favorable. Get the little irritants out of the way, get the gearing to your liking. It'll be worth the trouble. Both you and the frame deserve to get it "just right".

Old 07-10-20, 04:48 PM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Dannyboy21
I guess the flag emblems could be Holland but I would have thought the blue would be darker. Maybe to contrast with the dark blue of the frame?
The blue of the Netherlands flag is of a lighter shade than rhat of, for example, France.
Old 01-22-21, 03:52 PM
Dannyboy21

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Would think it would have to be the Belgian Diamant.

VDL initials would stand for van den L______ so rider either Flemish or Dutch.

Belgium was first Euro nation to begin kitting Pro race machines with D-A road ensembles, ca. 1973-74. Frame appears to date from right about that time. The D-A transfer it wears is first generation.

-----
It looks like the mystery of the VDL part of the Peter VDL markings on the frame likely stand for Ville De Luxembourg. This would make sense considering the Luxembourg flag embellishments found on the paint scheme.
Old 10-01-21, 01:44 PM
jaguargod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the French maker DIAMANT, not the EAST GERMAN (DDR) bike manufacturer.
Old 10-01-21, 02:32 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by jaguargod
This is the French maker DIAMANT, not the EAST GERMAN (DDR) bike manufacturer.