Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Titan Zombie Thread Reborn

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-21, 11:12 AM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts

Since I 1st purchased my Titan frame, It has been my main ride for years, even though it sat unbuilt for quite some time before I got around to putting it on the road. Turned out to be a fine riding bike! Although, I've riden 58 & 59 cm bikes early on, this Titan is 56 cm & there's not been an issues for me.

As years have passed, I've always pined for a 57 cm frame. So happens, perusing ebay, low & behold, I come across another Titan that's 57 cm c-c w/ Columbus SL tubing.. Unbuilt & in new condition. After dickering w/ the seller & wifey, I ended up getting the frame (sans fork). Although, the cost more than what my 1st one was ($125). I do have an x-tra fork that was too short for a 58 cm frame, so like the 1st Titan that had a weird fork, that I put on an older Italvega fork on..
I will use it. Should fit, even though not orig to the frame. Prolly get it chromed, since the paint scheme on the frame would be a tough one to match.

The seller supplied a bit of info as to who he believed acually built these Titan Frames & the Painter. Orig, through the Forum here, it was thought that Guerciotti might have been the builder of Titans?

Last edited by 1 Lugnut; 01-22-21 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-12-21, 11:53 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
*grumble, grumble*

Every time I see one of these beautiful frames, I'm reminded that I had bought one back when they were ~$150 and the seller lost the order and ended up refunding my money. I would love to have had one.
Old 01-22-21, 09:40 AM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Assembled my newish Titan w/ mostly Chorus cmpnts to see how it rides? Wheels are older Mavic GP-4's w/ an 8-sp Regina Extra Alum Freewheel (12X26), Edco Comp Hdset & Tom Ritchey Seatpost. Fork still needs to go out for chroming. Was a short runaround as I had to futz w/ the front derailluer a bit more, but seems to be very responsive on the front end. Prolly won't be able to get out for another spin, since the forcast is calling for rain...all of next week!

Old 01-22-21, 06:55 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 Lugnut
Since I 1st purchased my Titan frame, It has been my main ride for years, even though it sat unbuilt for quite some time before I got around to putting it on the road. Turned out to be a fine riding bike! Although, I've riden 58 & 59 cm bikes early on, this Titan is 56 cm & there's not been an issues for me.

As years have passed, I've always pined for a 57 cm frame. So happens, perusing ebay, low & behold, I come across another Titan that's 57 cm c-c w/ Columbus SL tubing.. Unbuilt & in new condition. After dickering w/ the seller & wifey, I ended up getting the frame (sans fork). Although, the cost more than what my 1st one was ($125). I do have an x-tra fork that was too short for a 58 cm frame, so like the 1st Titan that had a weird fork, that I put on an older Italvega fork on..
I will use it. Should fit, even though not orig to the frame. Prolly get it chromed, since the paint scheme on the frame would be a tough one to match.

The seller supplied a bit of info as to who he believed acually built these Titan Frames & the Painter. Orig, through the Forum here, it was thought that Guerciotti might have been the builder of Titans?
But Guercs were also contract-built, probably by a couple or several contractors over the years (and that's discounting the re-badged ALANs). But the location of "greater Milan" is probably a safe bet. Almost all of these were called "Titan" but nothing to do with the original Swiss brand; found their way from Italy to a Belgian warehouse (without any forks!) and nearly all had one-off paint by Carlo Dosenna. I know that Billato got pegged as one possible contract-builder but my personal guess is somebody else. One shop with enough capacity and the right general location may be the Bonati/Conti builders of later-day CIOCC, Conti, John and some Concorde...but I am only guessing.
Old 01-23-21, 09:18 AM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 148 Posts
There is a Titan currently listed on Denver CL (link), built up with 7400-era DA.

Price seems quite optimistic.
Old 01-23-21, 01:16 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_Hoya
There is a Titan currently listed on Denver CL (link), built up with 7400-era DA.

Price seems quite optimistic.
Yes very nicely built out and has the rarely-seen Titan decals BUT... it's a TreTubi Aelle frame with a Tange chrome fork. Not in the $900 club, IMHO
Old 01-24-21, 10:50 AM
1 Lugnut

In any event. it didn't last long...deleted from CL...!