Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Mock Commute During Work from Home

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-21, 07:43 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts

Just as the title suggests, anyone working from home and doing a mock commute before starting work day or commute to end the work day? I've been working from home the past two weeks, and though I can't get myself to head out at 6:30 AM, I have been heading out after the work day to do the distance of my one-way commute. I've been enjoying it immensely. It's nice to have the added bonus of being able to cut the ride short if I'm not feeling it, something which I do not have if I were actually commuting. Actually, I've been extending the ride just because the weather and roads have been good.

Will this, too, get old?
Old 01-14-21, 08:32 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I used to commute morning and evening in the dark and rain all winter. Now I'm spoiled and head out to my shop for an indoor trainer ride. In 2021 I've been consistent and ride every day. 2020 was not good for my cycling as it took me a while to get in the rhythm of riding when I didn't have to.
Old 01-14-21, 09:01 PM
JW in AK

Bikes: 2012 Marin Pioneer Trail, 2019 Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 27 Posts
We've been working from home since March. When the weather started getting nice and days were getting longer I was doing a ride equivalent to my commute each morning. Took a month or two before the allure of sleeping an extra hour won out and now the only "commute" is to the desk in the corner of my bedroom. Couldn't really ever get into the pseudo-commute in the afternoon for some reason.
Old 01-14-21, 10:08 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Likewise here, since March 11. I did a "fake commute" for a month, and then realized that I preferred just going for a long brisk walk every morning, which I'm still doing.

I got the winter bike out, but it's been pretty lonesome in the garage.

I took longer rides through the summer. The bike paths got way too crowded, so I hit the roads, which is nice because I get a lot more hill work when I'm not on the rail-trails.
Old 01-14-21, 10:10 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I was riding occasionally through the summer but a family medical emergency in mid October has rendered me nearly full time child care as well as work. We ride to the park at 3.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-15-21, 06:55 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
I've been working from home since the end of October; with no need to commute and the cold and dark season my monthly mileage has suffered a lot while my weight has gone up by 8kg. So I have also considered doing a mock commute, but I doubt I could keep it up. I won't get up earlier than is absolutely necessary, certainly not on a regular basis. I probably could try to do a ride every evening but again I don't see myself going out riding if the weather is bad, unless I need to.
Old 01-15-21, 06:55 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I worked at home for about seven years in the late 1990's, right when I returned to cycling. Every morning at around 7am, I'd head out on the bike for a good spin around the area and a stop somewhere for breakfast.

I didn't call it a "mock commute" or even pretend that I was riding to an office. It was just a ride to get my blood flowing for the day. Perhaps if you look at it differently and spare yourself the extra pressure of having to convince yourself you are commuting to work, you can just enjoy the invigorating ride and keep it fresh and new for a long time.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 01-15-21, 08:46 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
This has been my challenge, too. I worked from home for a month in March, and another three weeks in October. And after 28 years my job ended at the end of November. I have been riding in the middle of the day, and find I'm happy with a ride similar in length to the distance to my former I, too have been walking more.

I used to swim in my 20s...about 40 minutes a morning. When I began bike commuting at 30 it was ~9 miles (well, 6 miles for the first two years), but always about 40 minutes to work and 45 home. And before I got the studded snow tires I used to use the treadmill for 40 minutes on snowy mornings.

mcours2006 Your "added bonus" of being able to cut the ride short, is no bonus for me. THat is precisely why bike commuting worked for me...I had to keep going to get to work, and then home. Using the treadmill, I'd often hop off if I wasn't feeling it...the same with swimming. I need the purpose of "getting there" to help me keep going every day.

BTW...thanks for this thread. It got me hankering for a morning ride. I need to pick up an item that I would buy at a store 2/3 of the way to work once a month or so. As soon as I finish reading this and my breakfast, I'm gonna suit up and ride to get it. It's 18F right now, and will be 27F by the time I get back.

Nothing mysterious, I'm going to pick up some Yerba Mate from Natural Grocers. And I just realized, I am following my own advice on riding motivation. I have said before that if one get in the habit of riding out for coffee in the morning, that your body would remind you to ride as it associates the ride with the caffeine fix. I switched from coffee to Yerba Mate three years ago, but caffeine is caffeine, and I gotta go get me some.

Last edited by BobbyG; 01-15-21 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-15-21, 09:09 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I've been doing the fake commute thing since I came home last March. At first, and through the summer, I rode the 20 mile "round trip" in the morning, came "in to work" a little later and made it up at the end of the day. Some days I made a wrong turn and went further. That was OK until it got dark and cold, and I've wimped out. Now, instead of facing 20 degree morning rides, I prefer to take a long lunch commute ride around 40F or maybe better.

The challenge now is to fit those long lunches in on days where I'm supposed to be on the phone or headset every half hour all through the middle of the day. Getting up and riding early isn't fun, and since I don't have to do it to get to work, my days on the bike have dropped 20-30%.

Nevertheless, I've enjoyed mixing up the routes on my daily rides. There's some nice country riding a few miles to the northeast of home -- it was hard to see that when my destination was across town to the southwest!
Old 01-15-21, 09:42 AM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by BobbyG
This has been my challenge, too. I worked from home for a month in March, and another three weeks in October. And after 28 years my job ended at the end of November. I have been riding in the middle of the day, and find I'm happy with a ride similar in length to the distance to my former I, too have been walking more.

I used to swim in my 20s...about 40 minutes a morning. When I began bike commuting at 30 it was ~9 miles (well, 6 miles for the first two years), but always about 40 minutes to work and 45 home. And before I got the studded snow tires I used to use the treadmill for 40 minutes on snowy mornings.

mcours2006 Your "added bonus" of being able to cut the ride short, is no bonus for me. THat is precisely why bike commuting worked for me...I had to keep going to get to work, and then home. Using the treadmill, I'd often hop off if I wasn't feeling it...the same with swimming. I need the purpose of "getting there" to help me keep going every day.

BTW...thanks for this thread. It got me hankering for a morning ride. I need to pick up an item that I would buy at a store 2/3 of the way to work once a month or so. As soon as I finish reading this and my breakfast, I'm gonna suit up and ride to get it. It's 18F right now, and will be 27F by the time I get back.

Nothing mysterious, I'm going to pick up some Yerba Mate from Natural Grocers. And I just realized, I am following my own advice on riding motivation. I have said before that if one get in the habit of riding out for coffee in the morning, that your body would remind you to ride as it associates the ride with the caffeine fix. I switched from coffee to Yerba Mate three years ago, but caffeine is caffeine, and I gotta go get me some.
Old 01-15-21, 09:48 AM
mcours2006

I wouldn't mind doing the morning ride also if it were not for the road conditions, more so than the darkness. I can cope with the darkness as I have plenty of lights and the route I normally take is not heavily trafficked, but the road conditions in the morning are sketchy at best, especially when the temperature hovers around freezing, which it has lately. The little moisture in the air and the melting snow of the day freezes onto the road surface in patches here and there, and you really can't know it's there until it's way too late. I normally ride studs under these conditions, but riding on studs when I don't need to is just masochistic, IMO. Where's the fun in that?

Conditions for the afternoon ride are great--clear and dry roads, warmest time of the day, and light. The only downside to this is that the wind picks up usually, but it's a wash as I am doing a loop.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 01-21-21, 08:24 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I think this is called "going for a bike ride."
Likes For grolby:
Old 01-21-21, 08:33 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
Mock commutes should work just as well as Virtual Happy Hours.
Old 01-22-21, 06:12 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Mock Commute Soup

So they went up to the Mock Turtle, who looked at them with large eyes full of tears, but said nothing.

'This here young lady,' said the Gryphon, 'she wants for to know your history, she do.'

'I'll tell it her,' said the Mock Turtle in a deep, hollow tone: 'sit down, both of you, and don't speak a word till I've finished.'

So they sat down, and nobody spoke for some minutes. Alice thought to herself, 'I don't see how he can even finish, if he doesn't begin.' But she waited patiently.

'Once,' said the Mock Turtle at last, with a deep sigh, 'I was a real Turtle.'
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-22-21, 07:03 PM
Supercardplayer

Bikes: 2006 felt f5c every thing but the frame upgraded to Ultegra hunt aero wide wheels I dose the job

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I miss my commute to

good Idea I see you a seasoned commuter
Old 01-22-21, 07:08 PM
Supercardplayer

Bikes: 2006 felt f5c every thing but the frame upgraded to Ultegra hunt aero wide wheels I dose the job

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I miss my commute to

good Idea I see you a seasoned commuter
Likes For Supercardplayer:
Old 01-23-21, 12:09 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
I do like my commute, I go in to the ( empty) office once a week or so to use the printer/copier machine and bring home a stack of paperwork. 15 miles RT.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 01-27-21, 10:10 PM
LeonSeyer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been doing this ever since the pandemic lockdown started. Prior to that, never rode a bike to commute. And now I'm working at home and made a habit of cycling 10km before working, and during the process I'm doing daily task such as buying ingredients for breakfast, lunch and dinner from the nearest marketplace every day, which is about 3km away from home. Will this gets old? not for me. I'm a very cheap person, and seeing how much money I saved by crossing out commuting fees is enough to motivate me.
Old 01-29-21, 11:39 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I've been riding my commute route to work and back nearly every day. Nice getting it done in one go (24mi)
Old 01-30-21, 01:16 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Those are called bike rides
Old 02-03-21, 11:50 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
I've been riding my commute route to work and back nearly every day. Nice getting it done in one go (24mi)
Yeah, this is more or less what I do. I've not been going every day, but I average a bit more miles/week still.