Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

TA 374 substitute?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

TA 374 substitute?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-21, 05:55 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
TA 374 substitute?

I've got a TA Cyclotouriste Pro 5 vis crankset with a TA BB and the standard double spindle (part number 344). I'd like to turn it into a triple, for which the 373 or 374 spindle is apparently right. I haven't been able to find a 373 at all, and the 374s I've found are either too expensive or too trashed for my taste. Are there any spindles from Stronglight or Nervar that would be a good fit?

The NDS BB threads were cross-threaded by the previous owner, so it's got and Italian TA cup to go with the English fixed cup, so I want to keep the cups.

I had an interest in the VO threadless BB, but they seem unable to tell me which one (spindle length) I should get.

I've got the necessary chain wheel and triple bolts.

Thanks.
Old 01-21-21, 06:18 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
I keep having the urge to get a proper TA Cyclotouriste crank, but have always wondered what modern BB's would fit the crank taper. I suppose axle length is an issue too....

ummmm.... I don't know the dimensions of the TA axles, but this is a chart for the axle dimensions for Stronglight 93 and 99 of the mid 70's. Maybe you can compare the dimensions of the double chainring axle with your double chainring TA axle? If they are close, there's a decent chance the Stronglight triple axle could work.

Plan A should be "wait for someone with experience to offer advice", of course.

Steve in Peoria
(I do have a SunXCD copy of the Cyclotouriste, though)
Old 01-21-21, 07:21 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
i was under the impression, no matter the crank, it depended whether or not the taper is ISO or JIS as to what spindle to match the crank with. read that here on BF or on sheldon brown's. hmmm
Old 01-21-21, 07:30 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by thook
i was under the impression, no matter the crank, it depended whether or not the taper is ISO or JIS as to what spindle to match the crank with. read that here on BF or on sheldon brown's. hmmm
there was a time before ISO and JIS existed. Most tapers were specific to the manufacturer. I'm not sure if Sutherlands rated cross-brand fit or not.
Of course, in that day, you just bought a TA axle for your TA crank. Why would you do anything else?

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-21-21, 07:36 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
there was a time before ISO and JIS existed. Most tapers were specific to the manufacturer. I'm not sure if Sutherlands rated cross-brand fit or not.
Of course, in that day, you just bought a TA axle for your TA crank. Why would you do anything else?

Steve in Peoria
'cause yer a rebel??
Old 01-21-21, 09:39 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by thook
'cause yer a rebel??
also, there just wasn't much info on the difference between tapers.
I offer the 1976 Palo Alto catalog as evidence. In this page of bottom brackets, there is no mention of tapers, but there are indications that everything is compatible with everything.

Maybe the bike shops had better data?

My own experience with mixing and matching axle tapers is limited. About 20 years ago, I bought a nice Phil Wood BB to use with a Campy Record crankset. I had been using it with the matching Campy bottom bracket prior to this. Phil said it was compatible with the taper, so I trusted them. Well, the tapers didn't match, but were close. The crank yielded (i.e. deformed) a bit during the first 100 miles, allowing the crank bolts to loosen. I was lucky to catch it before the cranks were damaged. No problems since.

I had similar issue with a new SunXCD crank when used with a Specialized bottom bracket. Both are Japanese, so there shouldn't be an issue, but it had to go through the same process of the crank deforming a bit before everything was stable.

I've had much better luck with putting old and new Sugino cranks on Shimano cartridge bottom brackets. No problems there.

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-21-21, 10:52 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
I have the same low key search... $70 for a 374 spindle is apparently the market currently
the units with wasted bearing tracks... being offered for near as much... hello?

I am considering a Phil unit, for you it would work too just be expensive as you would need two sets of rings... maybe if you bought direct from Phil they would mix a set for you

i did even buy a VeloOrange French bottom bracket - I did not like the way the cranks fit on the polished chromed tapers- TA double cranks
just my opinion - and no grease on the tapers
never felt like they were going to “set”.

Last edited by repechage; 01-21-21 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-22-21, 05:30 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
The NDS BB threads were cross-threaded by the previous owner, so it's got and Italian TA cup to go with the English fixed cup.
Not what you asked for, but FYI in case you don't know, that Ital thread can be converted back to English with all-new steel threads. Pretty easy too, with this insert that Ceeway sells. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, to "Art. 606"

It's threaded Ital on the OD and Eng (right and left) on the ID. You just thread it in. Silver it in place if you're already wrecking the paint, but I'm betting red loctite would work fine for a cold solution. Just make sure to let the loctite fully cure before putting the cup in. Chasing the Eng threads after the loctite cures might be needed. It might also work fine with neither braze not loctite, just tightening the cup (or lockring) to hold the thread insert in place. (I haven't tried.)

I have a set of them, and the machining is impressive — I can't imagine how they were made. The right side (drive side) insert, with a right-hand Ital thread on the outside and a left-hand Eng thread on the inside, is especially cool. All in only approximately 1 mm of thickness in terms of the difference in thread pitch diameters. Eng is close to ~34.8 mm, and Ital is 36 mm, nominal thread sizes. (A quick measurement of the thickness, like with a caliper might look like somewhat more than the expected 1.2 mm, but you're measuring to the bottom of the thread on the ID and to the top of the thread on the OD. Still a pretty thin ring to be cutting threads on — chapeau to whoever makes them.)

Mark B in Seattle
Old 01-22-21, 06:02 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Not what you asked for, but FYI in case you don't know, that Ital thread can be converted back to English with all-new steel threads. Pretty easy too, with this insert that Ceeway sells. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, to "Art. 606"

It's threaded Ital on the OD and Eng (right and left) on the ID. You just thread it in. Silver it in place if you're already wrecking the paint, but I'm betting red loctite would work fine for a cold solution. Just make sure to let the loctite fully cure before putting the cup in. Chasing the Eng threads after the loctite cures might be needed. It might also work fine with neither braze not loctite, just tightening the cup (or lockring) to hold the thread insert in place. (I haven't tried.)

I have a set of them, and the machining is impressive — I can't imagine how they were made. The right side (drive side) insert, with a right-hand Ital thread on the outside and a left-hand Eng thread on the inside, is especially cool. All in only approximately 1 mm of thickness in terms of the difference in thread pitch diameters. Eng is close to ~34.8 mm, and Ital is 36 mm, nominal thread sizes. (A quick measurement of the thickness, like with a caliper might look like somewhat more than the expected 1.2 mm, but you're measuring to the bottom of the thread on the ID and to the top of the thread on the OD. Still a pretty thin ring to be cutting threads on — chapeau to whoever makes them.)

Mark B in Seattle
The closest the two threads should get is about .3mm, root to crest.

Make sure you have them in the correct sides first.
Old 01-22-21, 07:38 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts
Here are specs for TA spindles, if you end up using a cartridge of some sort:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ta-spindles.jpg (110.8 KB, 75 views)
Old 01-22-21, 05:59 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
TA is somewhat better finished than Stronglight. TA, Stronglight, Nervar were all made the same place and are completely interchangeable. Stronglight exists in several lengths that might work for a triple, you could try a few for cost of a TA. And have spares.

Is it good enough? Going back to the club ride 45 years ago it was March and the 6day season was over. John VandeVelde was home and doing the Sunday morning ride with us. I noticed his Wastyn had Stronglight cups under the Campy Pista cranks. I asked. He said they all worked well enough. If well installed any of them would last the season. But it could be hectic in the infield. A weakly installed BB could die in minutes. Killing a Campy BB hurt, even if someone else had paid for it. Stronglight was disposable. Just get it replaced and don’t think about it. Think about the race, not the kit. He said the Campy rep passed out S-L BBs.

If Stronglight is good enough for pro sixday it is good enough for anything.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 01-22-21, 08:22 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
I have to get my notes, Stronglight tip dimension is a bit bigger than TA or Campagnolo - the tapers live well enough but I have observed that there is just a bit less engagement of a Stronglight spindle on a TA or Campagnolo crank. To me, more is better as long as the spindle does not bottom out.
a TA spindle in a Stronglight arm is not a good combo- too close to the end.
Old 01-23-21, 10:03 AM
Sluggo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
I use JIS cartridge BBs on TA cranks with no issues. The limiting factor on my bikes has been chainstay clearance (no dimple) and I needed a very long (127 mm or so) spindle. If you have a generous chainstay dimple, you can probably go to the next size shorter. And BTW, IRD has rings with Swiss, Italian, or French threads for their BBs.

This: skf_bb_compatibility_2020_0122.pdf (renehersecycles.com) recommends JIS for TA.
Likes For Sluggo: