Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone try the Continental Gatorskin Hardshell Model

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-10, 05:24 PM
the shark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was going to buy some new Gartorskins and they are pretty cheap at PBK now, but while looking at them I noticed a new tire, the Hardshell. It is more expensive, but also says it is faster, yet a bit heavier.

Anyone with experience with them let me know. So far on my rides, Gatorksin Ultra folding bead have worked better than other tires, but also open to other

I know they are not smoothest ride but 4000s I tired got way more flats.
Old 03-06-10, 05:51 PM
Captain Insano

Bikes: Alchemy Helios

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I did, and returned them after a twenty mile ride (my LBS took them right back, and I got some Grand Prix 4000 S's instead). I was replacing worn out Bontrager Race X Lites.

The Hardshells just felt sluggish, like I was pedaling through mud. At first, I thought I was imagining something. I checked tire pressure, potential brake pad rub, the usual suspects - nothing.

They give a more comfortable ride, but they're too dog-gone slow. Even in a 700c-23 size, they feel like a hybrid/comfort bike tire. I bought them for their durability, but returned them because they're not a performance road tire.