Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Landis drops EPO bomb on modern Pro Cycling. Lance is in the bullseye

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...
View Poll Results: Are Landis' allegations true?
Landis' allegations are likely true
61.94%
Landis' allegations are likely false
23.51%
Don't know, too early to tell
14.55%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Landis drops EPO bomb on modern Pro Cycling. Lance is in the bullseye

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-10, 10:51 AM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hincapie's response. No outright denial:
"I have been a professional on the circuit for 17 years – which is one of the longest careers in the peloton. During that time, I have earned the respect of my peers and a reputation for working hard, honestly and honorably. I'm really disappointed to hear these accusations."
Old 05-20-10, 10:58 AM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by djohannsen
However if you think that the entire peloton isn't jacked, then you probably still believe in the tooth fairy.
Originally Posted by jwible
I think everyone in the pro tour is trying their damnedest to get away with whatever they can whether it be a border line or egregious violation of the anti doping rules. In that sense they are all equally juiced IMO and therefore on a somewhat level playing field.
+1

I think that if anyone seriously believes the entire peloton, now and then, is not doping they have a bigger issue than whether or not Landis is saying the truth!
Old 05-20-10, 10:59 AM
Captain Insano

Bikes: Alchemy Helios

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ckelly49
True or not the guy picked a great time to send those emails considering where the people he fingered are currently standing.
True, true. You've currently got the Tour of California and the Giro d'Italia in full bloom, so the public is generally aware that some big bike race is going on somewhere. If he dropped this last winter, it would be a one-day blip on ESPN, everybody would say "well, I already knew that", and life would go on. Floyd may be a liar and a cheat, but he knows how to time his message.
Old 05-20-10, 10:59 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bdcheung
more efficient than making it up.
seeing as you didn't cite a source, how do i know that you didn't?
Old 05-20-10, 11:01 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Scummer
Everyone in the pro peloton is doping, so the playing field is even. Where's the problem again?
It's not a level playing field for those with top-level ability that would rather not dope to succeed.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-20-10, 11:04 AM
botto 

Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Nothing political about it, only satire. Just trying to find some humor in a sad situation

Now go tell Pcad and botto to lay off the political stuff on their road cycling posts.
time to change your diapers, and up the Aricept because i don't do P&R in the 41, pops.
Old 05-20-10, 11:04 AM
DonDenver
downhill quickly

Bikes: SWorks Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vjp
What code? What, are you in the mob?

He cheated, is now finally admitting it and named the other cheats. Good for the sport, F**k your code.

vjp
F’bombs, Mob? Goodfellas and Godfathers man; turn down the volume.

I suppose an athletic background helps with the context of ‘code’ where you don’t drop names with those you locker with…period. Call yourself out but not others. Flodis, while I believe him, he’s no Jeffrey Wygant, he’s Jose Canseco in his approach… a rat caught in wheel spokes.
Old 05-20-10, 11:05 AM
escii_35
deleteme

Bikes: deleteme

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
VHS tape to the Garbage

I still have a VHS tape of Floyd's TDF comeback ride. It sits along side "This is Spinal Tap" and "Rob Roy". To the garbage it goes.

On Lance:

Did he do drugs before Cancer. Probably

Did he do drugs during and while recovering. HELL YA!!.

Did he do drugs on his TDF winning run. Probably not.

Personally I will be requesting performance enhancing drugs after my next major manglement. When your 80 year old great aunt and 60 year old mom's initial recovery phase from knee surgery is better then yours it's time for some drugs.
Old 05-20-10, 11:06 AM
fly:yes/land:no
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
lance comments are up:

https://www.fanhouse.com/2010/05/20/l...-me-for-years/
Old 05-20-10, 11:06 AM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blaireau
Haha... i love it.

Throw me some testing evidence though.
Old 05-20-10, 11:07 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by curiouskid55
I blieved him before and I believe him now. Hey...wait a minute...
Exactly.
Old 05-20-10, 11:07 AM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So Landis comes clean, and says , "I don't want to be part of the problem anymore."

https://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100520/...cling_landis_6

He's already marginalized, has no pro ride to speak of... what's his point?
Old 05-20-10, 11:08 AM
deitman
IrvineDan

Bikes: 1996 GT LTS-1, 1998 Trek 2300, 2009 Trek Madone 5.2 (6/1/09)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thread Reset?...ok, maybe not

Since Velonews won't load on either my computer or Iphone, and navigating through three merged and now diverging threads is killing me...I have an essay I'd like to share:

My $12.42 worth....

While I'm not a fan of Landis or his camp...there's some interesting things to point out with this revelation that strike me...

1. Funny enough, the last portion of his book (by Arnie Baker, a respected physician and cyclist in his own right) details the scientific protocols used by the drug-testing lab responsible for the positive result, and the lack of following basic scientific procedures to do so. HIS scientist is not the only one critical of the testing procedure of the french lab at the time, but also the UCLA lab that was not allowed to be called as a witness in his defense was critical of the french procedures. Ironically, now Landis says he was doping, but not in the manner for which he was suspended.

2. Landis has been unable to recover his form or sponsorship unless he brings said sponsors with him as part of the team that signs him...one could say he was "blackballed" and this is a way to maximize getting back at those who he believes are blackballing him. But is he being "blackballed" because his ability does not warrant placement within a top team or because people within the sport knew (or strongly suspected) what Landis has admitted...doping since 2002.

3. He focuses on American cyclists, some of whom are either among the most drug-tested professional athletes in recent years (Armstrong), or have been part of pioneering, biological passport programs that led UCI into its current biological passport protocols (Garmin, Columbia, even Astana last year had the passport). Hmmmmm...if those cyclists were/are, then it not only invalidates this year's drug testing protocols, but those by the teams from the previous years (and those team administered results were made available if you wanted them)...and why no mention of foreign cyclists except to mention them nebulously as "former team members"?

4. The rhetoric and heavy-handed guilty until proven innocent tactics by WADA seem amateurish and political at best, but Landis' admission only seems to reinforce that they are correct even when they screw up finding an athlete guilty of doping.

5. Landis chose to speak exclusively with a credible journalist from an outlet OUTSIDE THE CYCLING WORLD (Bonnie Ford of ESPN--an excellent investigative journalist) to bring greater attention to his claim/himself...

As for any debate on whether Armstrong himself is clean or not...only a positive test or self-admission will prove that he is not clean. Until then, I have to (somewhat hesitantly) believe that while he may have sometime in the past (pre-cancer perhaps?), he cannot risk the negative exposure that such behavior would have on the LIVESTRONG effort...his ego (yeah its big) dictates that this legacy is more important to him than his cycling results.
Old 05-20-10, 11:12 AM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence... so far Lance has been clean each time..
This is nonsense in two different ways:

- Armstrong HAS had at least one positive test - it just wasn't legally enforceable. And the circumstances he raced under were such that, as the result of great effort by him, it was impossible for him to be tested properly later. Other tactics Armstrong have used including hiring strict anti-doping docs with a big PR splash in the off season, then losing them before racing begins..

- As for "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - when someone harasses anti-drug cyclists, avoids testing, hires coaches and physicians who specialize in doping, surrounds himself with doped riders - and keeps up with their doped fueled performances - then the extraordinary claim is that they are NOT using dope! Oh, and let's not forget that tape of one of his assistant's discussing the doping habits of Armstrong and his posse.

The man's blood is so full of chemicals that it should be illegal for him to cross an international border!
Old 05-20-10, 11:13 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DonDenver
F’bombs, Mob? Goodfellas and Godfathers man; turn down the volume.
Again, illegal. Again, mob reference perfectly applicable.

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
It's not a level playing field for those with top-level ability that would rather not dope to succeed.
On a practical note, it's not level for those without the money to get on a program either. Although some who tried without the right supervision and clocked out in their sleep ended up under a level playing field.

Old 05-20-10, 11:15 AM
Greg180
Realist

Bikes: Roubaix, Tarmac, Fixed Gear

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If he has the evidence then he's credible. If he doesn't hes not.

The question becomes WHO certifies the credibility of the evidence.

If he is telling the truth it must be a huge burden off his conscious. If he's lying...Landis's life just got a lot more complicated.
Old 05-20-10, 11:16 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
where's Willy Voet when we need him?

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 05-20-10, 11:18 AM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by meanwhile
This is nonsesne in two different ways:

- Armstrong HAS had at least one positive test - it just wasn't legally enforceable. And the circumstances he raced under were such that, as the result of great effort by him, it was impossible for him to be tested properly later. Other tactics Armstrong have used including hiring strict anti-doping docs with a big PR splash in the off season, then losing them before racing begins..

- As for "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - when someone harasses anti-drug cyclists, avoids testing, hires coaches and physicians who specialize in doping, surrounds himself with doped riders - and keeps up with their doped fueled performances - then the extraordinary claim is that they are NOT using dope!
It's only an extraordinary claim by Flandis since Lance has passed so many drug controls which are enforceable... I am skeptical of those tests which aren't legally enforceable. Even if there was another positive test... there have been so many negative tests that one could even assume - based off statistics that it's a false-positive test. Certainly there will be false-positive tests.

I'm not falling on either side here, but i really want some better evidence instead. This latest bit is just more finger pointing - nothing too exciting from the legal and evidence based side. We already new Landis doped during the tour.
Old 05-20-10, 11:20 AM
botto 

#

Landis' allegations are likely false
10 10.99%

1. boulderroad
2. cotatrials
3. johnny99
4. lshaped
5. mcuddy17
6. nahh
7. NCROADBIKER
8. tharrel1
9. The Weak Link
10. TMonk

Old 05-20-10, 11:21 AM
Greg180
Realist

Bikes: Roubaix, Tarmac, Fixed Gear

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
"I'd say I am a little surprised but I am not," Armstrong said Thursday. He also said that Landis has been threatening to make the e-mails public "for a long time."

Landis...Blackmail? The spin begins
Old 05-20-10, 11:21 AM
WCroadie

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 5.5 CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Allez3
"Everyone dopes including me, but I have no proof to back it up."

Look... Dude. Lance just took 3rd in the tour at 37 and we know he was clean. He's f-ing almost 40. He should have been I don't know... 50th! I bet Landis off the juice can't even finish.
Landis off the juice can't beat the cat1's here in the US let alone race the TdF

Originally Posted by MDcatV
dont include me in that we.

good for landis, finally coming clean and admitting what anyone with a shred of sense has known all along. now, when does he get the david millar treatment?
I don't believe Millar toured around proclaiming his innocence and begging people for money for his "Fairness Fund" or wrote a book about how he was clean.

Originally Posted by vjp
What code? What, are you in the mob?

He cheated, is now finally admitting it and named the other cheats. Good for the sport, F**k your code.

vjp
Yup this is so great for the sport now here in the US we won't get much cycling on TV, sponsors will drop out, races will probably be canceled. IT will be just awesome. If anyone believes doping isn't still going on in cycling they are kidding themselves. Doping exists in ALL levels of sports from the local rec league on up. Like others have mentioned, it's a business and about making money, and there are a lot of sick people who will do anything for the almighty dollar.

Originally Posted by escii_35
I still have a VHS tape of Floyd's TDF comeback ride. It sits along side "This is Spinal Tap" and "Rob Roy". To the garbage it goes.

On Lance:

Did he do drugs before Cancer. Probably

Did he do drugs during and while recovering. HELL YA!!.

Did he do drugs on his TDF winning run. Probably not.
Think again. You think he was that much better then all the other top guys during his run, that they were cheating and he wasn't and still beating them?
Old 05-20-10, 11:23 AM
jsmonet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
in case it hasn't been said yet: Giggity O_O
Old 05-20-10, 11:25 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
It's only an extraordinary claim by Flandis since Lance has passed so many drug controls which are enforceable...
There were actually two, one of which was enforceable but the UCI accepted a post dated TUE application after Lance had said he didn't take anything. Then he did. He just forgot.

And you seem to be either ignorant of or ignoring the many riders who have never failed a drug test yet were found to be doped to the gills through other investigations or confessed. Kloden, Basso, Ulrich, Zabel, Vaughters, Andreau, Millar...that's just a very short list. None of them ever tested positive and were tested as much as Armstrong.
botto 

Originally Posted by Blaireau
christ dude, show some farking originality for once, and find your own kool aid jpeg.
fly:yes/land:no
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
this thread is turning into a circus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.