Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Forums Greeting Card

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-11, 10:55 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

I am a year-round cyclist in Boston, and an enthusiastic subscriber to Bike Forums. We seem to have a lot of Forum members around here. Whenever I'm out on the road and encounter a serious-appearing cyclist, hoping to meet a fellow BF subscriber, I try to inquire if they are on the Forums, and if not, I try to introduce it to them. Often these encounters are brief, and the best I can do beyond a quick explanation, is to give them the URL (“BikeForums [one word, emphasis on plural] dot net” [emphasis on net].)

I was thinking about making a little business type card, 3.5 x 2 inches, to hand out for their further consideration. A first draft of my message is:

Originally Posted by Front Side
Nice meeting you today. I’d like to mention a website you might find interesting called BIKEFORUMS.NET. It’s an E-Forum devoted to many varied aspects of bicycling that you can read without subscribing, or subscribe for free. For a list of some of the special interest Forums, SEE OTHER SIDE.

My user name is Jim from Boston, and I have no financial or other relations to BIKEFORUMS.NET, other than as a member. If you join, send me a private message saying hello via the Board.
Originally Posted by Back Side
As columns (three columns crosswise):

Advocacy & Safety
Bicycle Mechanics
Charity Rides
Classic & Vintage
Commuting
Electric Bikes
Electronics, Lighting & Gadgets
Folding bikes
Jokes & Humor
Living Car Free
Long Distance Cycling
Mountain Biking
Northeast (USA) Regional Discussion
Politics & Religion
Regional Rides
Recreation & Family
Road Cycling
Single Speed & Fixed Gear
Tandems
Touring
Training & Nutrition
Utility Cycling
Winter Cycling

SEE OTHER SIDE
I chose the Forums listed to demonstrate and appeal to a wide range of interests, and as self-explanatory by title. Any comments or suggestions?

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-07-12 at 10:38 AM. Reason: update message
Old 10-22-11, 12:11 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I can see two types of bicycles not listed in the list from "Back Side".

They are Cruisers and Adult Tricycles.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 10-22-11, 05:50 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightshade

Yes, but those wouldn't be "serious appearing" would they?
Old 10-22-11, 06:15 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightshade

We don't have subforums for those types of vehicles, do we? I think the OP was only listing established subforums, not just topics of interest.

The other thing I would mention is that inviting a new member to send you a PM is a guaranteed road to frustration for that new member. Don't they have to have a minimum of 50 forum posts or thereabouts before they can PM anyone?
Old 10-22-11, 06:21 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
I have some laminated cards that I hand out.

Believe it is a total waste of time and effort.

Old 10-22-11, 07:55 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I'm not at all sure about handing out business cards like that ... they remind me a bit too much of the soliciting that goes on in airports, or around places like the Eiffel Tower in Paris.

However, when I read the title of this thread, my thought was "Bicycle Greeting Cards" ... a topic I've thought about on several occasions. I collect greeting cards with bicycles on them whenever I can find them ... which isn't very often. Because of the recent moves I've made (where my things have been packed away in storage for months or years at a time), they are kind of scattered around but one day I'd like to gather them all together and put them in a frame, or book or something.

But it has got me to thinking ... what about creating a line of "Bicycle Greeting Cards"? Greeting cards with all sorts of bicycles and cycling events from the old step-throughs tucked in a garden with flowers growing out of their baskets, to cyclists with beautiful mountain scenery, to racers tackling a climb or sprinting for a finish.

I have heaps of ideas (these are the sorts of things I think about when doing my long, long rides), but the one thing I'm not sure about is ... would they sell. Would they appeal to a generally sedentary society?

As far as promoting this website when we're out cycling goes ... wasn't there a Bikeforums jersey created and sold at one point? Maybe a new one should be created and people could wear them at their local centuries and charity rides.
Old 10-23-11, 05:25 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Thanks for everybody's reply. It's unlikely I would encounter a cyclist on a cruiser or adult trike where and when I ride. I had thought about the 50 post limit when I asked for a PM, but considering that so many members have 3, 4 and 5-figure post counts, that might not take long. I'm not inclined to read the Introductions Forum to look for new members I may have encouraged.

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I have some laminated cards that I hand out.

Believe it is a total waste of time and effort.
These were cards like the one I described? What did they say?

Originally Posted by Machka
I'm not at all sure about handing out business cards like that ... they remind me a bit too much of the soliciting that goes on in airports, or around places like the Eiffel Tower in Paris....
My intent was not to solicit for BF, but inform about it, like one might hand a business card to a new acquaintance with a similar interest. Just last night I was at a party and met a cyclist who had crossed the US on a bicycle, as I have. As we parted company, I mentioned BF, as described above, though it was less a brief and chance encounter than might occur on the road.

Personally, I'm glad I found out about BF, since I have been a serious cyclist for decades, and I'm surprised at how few cyclists I meet know about it. I found it serendipitously mentioned on a Forum devoted to a syndicated cartoon strip. I'm not planning some fancy laminated business card but hopefully something I can make myself, and I still have to investigate that process.
Old 10-23-11, 06:08 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My intent was not to solicit for Jesus, but inform about Him.
See? Have you ever been approached out of the blue, out in public, by someone like that? I have. It's weird. Especially if they hand you materials to read. Like a laminated card. Or they are having a normal conversation with you then they spring "Jesus loves you" on you out of nowhere.

If someone has interest in reading about cycling online, they will eventually find BF.