Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

SPD Road Pedals or SPD MTB Pedals???

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-15, 04:51 PM
funbikerchick

Bikes: Liv Avail Advanced Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Discussion in another thread has lead to this question. I didn't want to hijack the other thread.

I have been riding with a Shimano SPD MTB pedal with a platform on one side and cleat on the other. I am going to change to a different pedal because I often struggle to get clipped in when the pedal is flipped with the cleat down and the platform up.

My shoes can support either the SPD MTB or the SPD Road cleat. Why would you choose one over the other? With my shoes, walkability is not a factor because even with the MTB cleat I have to do that funny heel down walk. I don't have MTB shoes so the cleat is not recessed.

I have read that road pedals provide a wider surface for pedaling and this makes them better for on road riding. I never ride anywhere other than the road or asphalt bike trails. My current pedals provide a wide surface because they have the wide cage to support the flat surface on one side. I know there are MTB pedals with this ability even when they have the cleats on both sides. I also know that Road pedals are one sided, but my grandson says his road pedals are always right side up.

Since I am buying new pedals and the pedals will come with cleats and since my shoes can use either, I am wondering why it would be better to get one over the other. I don't think weight is an issue either since I am not racing.

So, is there a benefit of one over the other if I don't care about weight and my shoes don't recess the MTB cleat?

Thanks.
Old 08-23-15, 05:14 PM
Bike Life

Bikes: 1989 Trek 950 MTB, 1991 Schwinn Crosscut, 2015 Trek 520,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll just say that MBT shoes are much more user friendly off the bike than road shoes so I would get the MTB cleats and new shoes.
Old 08-23-15, 05:26 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 488 Posts
Thats the main difference on the shoe, the recessed cleat. MTBing often requires dismounting so the shoes also have more aggressive treads and cleats.

MTB pedals are double sided because you unclip and click in more, the higher end pedals are better balanced for easier click-in. Road pedals are single sided and weigh less
Old 08-23-15, 05:30 PM
funbikerchick

Bikes: Liv Avail Advanced Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I already have shoes that will handle both cleats and don't plan to buy new shoes at this time. Just wondering if there is any compelling reason (other than shoes) to chose one cleat over the other. Thanks.
Old 08-24-15, 04:41 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Sadly I've never used an MTB cleat. I've always been a road cleat dude. I'd guess the road would feel more locked in. So you have to decide...will I have to unclip in a hurry, or not? I personally have no problem clicking-in or out at will. I'd only consider MTB cleats if you're riding rough trails and switchbacks.
Old 08-24-15, 08:26 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
I have a bike with the SPD-SL (road SPD) pedals, and run standard SPD on my others. For me, the SPD-SL is much more difficult to get clipped in. Once I am clipped it it does seem to be a bit more secure, but it's also a lot more difficult to disengage from the pedals, even with the tension backed all the way off.

For the standard SPD pedals, I started with the combo pedals with SPD on one side and platform on the other. It was nice for the rare times I wanted to ride in street shoes, but after many thousands of miles when I wore the pedals out and needed some replacements I decided that I rode in street shoes so rarely that I've give the dual-sided SPD mountain bike pedals a try. Glad I did. The difference is night and day as far as ease to clip-in. Before I would inevitably start pedaling and find myself on the platform side, then spend the next several revolutions trying to get the pedal to flip over to the clip side. Now with the MTB pedals I just put my foot down and *snick*.

Between walkability of the two, my SPD shoes beats my SPD-SL shoes hands-down. My SPD shoes are stiff sole so they certainly don't feel like I'm wearing street shoes, but they only point my toes to the sky about half of what my SPD-SL shoes do.
Old 08-24-15, 10:18 AM
Ajh800

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp Disc '14, Spec' Crosstrail Sport Disc (customed), Ellsworth Epiphany

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I considered going SPD-SL, to the extent of dura ace carbon pedals. Instead I opted for Shimano A600, spd's.

Weight wise, only a few grams difference and the extra platform surface is a noticeable benefit.
Old 08-24-15, 10:19 AM
BigDB67

Bikes: 2014 Novara Strada - 2013 Cannondale Quick 4 - 2015 Ghost Tacana 3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
U use road SPD pedals for long rides but pop in Bike Dabs (https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Dabs-SPD-...XNKQZQC4FDZJ9K) when I am just dragging the trailer or going for quick rides. Those things are easy to put in and easy to take out.