Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Is there a federal law against wearing a balaclava on a public bus?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-09, 11:54 AM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tjspiel
I'm not baffled that someone may WANT to get their headgear off nor that YMMV, I'm baffled that ILTB assumes that his sense of appropriateness is shared by everyone,
Oh, hell, I stopped being baffled about that long ago. Since all ILTB does is whinge at people about really stupid stuff (like whether they take their balaclavas off within 0.003 seconds of entering a bus), I just put it on ignore.

I seriously doubt our buses are much different than the buses used anyplace else in US as far their heating capacity goes. It does, however, get really cold here relative to many other places in the country.
Last time I rode a bus in Boston, I think it was 2 degrees out -- and it was roasting on that bus.

There are people who spend less than 15 minutes on the bus or train. In that time a hat will not make them at all uncomfortable even if the bus were a balmy 70 degrees.
How's about letting other people decide what's uncomfortable for them? Perhaps you're fine with being dressed for 0 degree weather in a 70 degree environment -- I'd prefer to shed a few layers, myself. Even if it's "only" 15 minutes.
Old 01-30-09, 12:22 PM
mackerel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EKO
Mods, please lock this thread. It's turned into a troll-fest. People are just spewing random nonsense and not reading the previous posts. It no longer serves a purpose. Thanks.
Okay, now you're whining.
Old 01-30-09, 12:23 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by lil brown bat
Oh, hell, I stopped being baffled about that long ago. Since all ILTB does is whinge at people about really stupid stuff (like whether they take their balaclavas off within 0.003 seconds of entering a bus), I just put it on ignore.
You be real clever, eh? Commenting on the value of posts that you claim to ignore.

You also have the right to your own opinion, (which in this bus scenario is in line with mine.) But then again how would you know, since you ignore what I post and just make it up instead. You apparently also have the right to make up your own facts.
Old 01-30-09, 12:52 PM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EKO
Mods, please lock this thread. It's turned into a troll-fest. People are just spewing random nonsense and not reading the previous posts. It no longer serves a purpose. Thanks.
You may start a thread, but once it's out there, it belongs to the world.
Old 01-30-09, 02:26 PM
lil brown bat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by apricissimus
You may start a thread, but once it's out there, it belongs to the world.
Yeah, can you just imagine bf if every OP got to say, "Ok, I got my info, time to stfu now"?
Old 01-30-09, 04:50 PM
BA Commuter
Comfortably Numb!

Bikes: Jamis Commuter 3.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
but... Mr. Bus Driver Sir, I am required to wear this mask!
Old 01-30-09, 05:09 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
1. True, helmet and lycra off the bike = no fashion sense; on a bus such attire pegs the dork meter.
2. Fred doesn't mean looking like a jerk when in public
3.Obviously you don't give a damn about your impression on other people.

As for your question, if you don't like the responses received, look it up your darn self!

Seriously, "pegs the dork meter". This from the guy that uses hardware store pipe insulation, as bicycle grips; and does not care about what anyone else thinks of such a practice?

Big time 'two face' attitude from ILTB.
Old 01-30-09, 05:20 PM
RunnerDFW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the transit business and there's no federal law prohibiting a covered face. The operator was just being a jerk.
Old 01-30-09, 05:40 PM
tjspiel

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
How's about letting other people decide what's uncomfortable for them?
Where did I say that anyone should leave their hat or helmet on? You may not realize it, but you're agreeing with me. I'm only saying there are legitimate reasons for doing so, not that anyone has to.

Perhaps you're fine with being dressed for 0 degree weather in a 70 degree environment -- I'd prefer to shed a few layers, myself. Even if it's "only" 15 minutes.
If I just came inside from 20 below I'm perfectly fine remaining just as I am for 15 minutes rather than shedding layers and then getting everything back on a short time later, especially if the bus is crowded. You are not, -fine with me.
Old 01-30-09, 05:46 PM
lil brown bat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Where did I say that anyone should leave their hat or helmet on?
You didn't, but you did make a statement about what other people would want to do -- that's all.

If I just came inside from 20 below I'm perfectly fine remaining just as I am for 15 minutes rather than shedding layers and then getting everything back on a short time later, especially if the bus is crowded. You are not, -fine with me.
FWIW, around here it seems like while a fair number of people need to walk some distance from home to get to the bus stop/subway/trolley, at the other end they're much more likely to be quite close to the office -- probably because a lot of people are going into downtown, where bus/trolley/subway stops are quite close together, while they're more spread out in the residential neighborhoods. Also, our buses/trolleys/subways really really suck, and your nominal "15 minute trip" (which is still waaaay too long in those overheated cars for my tastes) is often much longer.
Old 01-30-09, 07:45 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by CB HI

Seriously, "pegs the dork meter". This from the guy that uses hardware store pipe insulation, as bicycle grips; and does not care about what anyone else thinks of such a practice?

Big time 'two face' attitude from ILTB.
Lemme guess, how many people in the general public would pay attention to the bicycle grips of a bicycle? Or would be concerned what anybody else thinks of the components on their bike? Or judges people by the provenance of their bike components? Anybody? Sure but only Real Cyclists™ of the Roadie/Poser/LBS junkie variety.

I suspect the same number and probably the same people who leave their helmet on when strolling (or tap dancing) through a business establishment. Or pose for pictures off of their bike and leave a helmet on as a fashion statement.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 01-30-09 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-30-09, 07:53 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I take off my helmet before I get on the bus, since I look as dorky as this guy.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-31-09, 09:12 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I take off my helmet before I get on the bus, since I look as dorky as this guy.

Your bike is so heavy it's a tank!
Old 01-31-09, 01:43 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Lemme guess, how many people in the general public would pay attention to the bicycle grips of a bicycle? Or would be concerned what anybody else thinks of the components on their bike? Or judges people by the provenance of their bike components? Anybody? Sure but only Real Cyclists™ of the Roadie/Poser/LBS junkie variety.

I suspect the same number and probably the same people who leave their helmet on when strolling (or tap dancing) through a business establishment. Or pose for pictures off of their bike and leave a helmet on as a fashion statement.
And the HATE on other cyclist continues from ILTB.
Old 01-31-09, 02:07 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

And the HATE on other cyclist continues from ILTB.
You win. Consider yourself the undefeated champion of BF Spitting Contests. Your posts indicate that you preach what you practice when in public.
Old 01-31-09, 03:17 PM
InfiniteRegress
Infinite Regress

Bikes: Dahon Speed Pro TT (2008), Jamis Aurora Cyclocross (2005), Trek WSD 2100 (2007)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Next time, scream "ALLAH AKBAR" and go for your shoe. That outta teach em.
I was with some people in Israel recently, one of whom looked very Arab (although he wasn't). Anyway, we were going through a checkpoint somewhere in the West Bank at about 1 AM. We proceeded through and most of us said "Lila Tov" (good evening, in Hebrew) as is customary. However, the Arab-looking guy we were with yelled "Allah Akbar" instead (I think he'd been drinking). Thankfully, the soldiers were too young and/or tired to care. But I was seriously thinking we were done for.
Old 01-20-17, 04:36 PM
Ugly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have no idea where that is but I'm glad it's not here.
As an ugly person I'm ashamed of having to show my hideous face in public.
After I started wearing a balaclava I find that people are actually nicer to me than they were when I
went bare faced. As for the bus - the first time the driver asked me what's up. I told her that
I was too ugly to go without covering myself. She thought I was kidding but I told her I
was serious. She didn't make any comments after that. None of the bus drivers have an issue
with it now. Almost all places I go don't seem to mind. Except the liquor store. Sometimes I was
able to go and make a purchase without incident. Sometimes a self serving security guard would
kick me out. At the bank an employee came to talk to me but was calm and pleasant. When it
was obvious that I was only going to make a deposit at the bank machine he left me alone. In Canada
there is no law against it except during a riot or of course if I'm actually going to commit a crime.
As for now, people are nicer to me when they don't have to look at my ugly face.
Old 01-20-17, 05:02 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
FTA laws pertain to protecting statutory civil rights, not dress code. There may be a local or state policy about "gang colors" and such on buses, and that's a matter of local governance rule making.

Afterall, wearing a facecovering bandana or balaclava might be considered hostile and threatening to other riders, and I'd guess it is not any exercise of constitutionally protected free speech. If the balaclave was printed with 'blue lives matter' or 'black lives matter', then it would be a difference analysis, ...it would be protest speech.
Old 01-23-17, 12:05 AM
Ugly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Laws bias and discrimination

I have no gang colours or logos on mine. It's just plain black with a small tag that has the brand name on it. I wear it because I'm self conscious about my looks.
Old 01-23-17, 12:01 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
So a few years ago I bought a balaclava for cold weather and was advised that it may be risky to wear in public. Being curious, I decided to see if there were any ordinances, laws, or other restrictions and found that may be indeed illegal in North Carolina. Here is the text of the statute:

§ 14‑12.7. Wearing of masks, hoods, etc., on public ways.
No person or persons at least 16 years of age shall, while wearing any mask, hood or device whereby the person, face or voice is disguised so as to conceal the identity of the wearer, enter, be or appear upon any lane, walkway, alley, street, road, highway or other public way in this State. (1953, c. 1193, s. 6; 1983, c. 175, ss. 1, 10; c. 720, s. 4.)

§14-12.8. Wearing of masks, hoods, etc., on public property.
No person or persons shall in this State, while wearing any mask, hood or device whereby the person, face or voice is disguised so as to conceal the identity of the wearer, enter, or appear upon or within the public property of any municipality or county of the State, or of the State of North Carolina. (1953, c. 1193, s. 7.)

I really doubt that anyone would perceive that I am trying to hide my identity while wearing it in very cold weather, but there is enough ambiguity in the statute to allow law enforcement to stop me.

I have also been told that such laws were originally enacted to effectively prohibit the KKK from wearing their hoods in public.
Old 01-23-17, 12:23 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
My guess is that the driver doesn't want your bike on his bus. Cripes, I wouldn't either and I'm surprised you're allowed to bring it on. How do people get by?
We bring our bikes on the trains in MN, I've done it a ton of times... and they have racks to hang your bike.

IMG_20150717_142426_449.jpg

Trains are larger than buses... never-the-less, bringing a bike on mass-transit shouldn't be an issue (if it doesn't have a rack). Wheelchairs and other mobility devices are on and off buses all day long.

To the OP, I'd uncover my face for my comfort because I'd overheat on the bus for full-face coverage (actually I overheat outside with full-face coverage, but I'm a freak, so that's not really helpful or relevant).

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 01-23-17 at 12:27 PM. Reason: wrong picture
Old 01-23-17, 02:57 PM
tjspiel

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Don't know for sure but it might be one of these things that is up to the discretion of the driver/cop/pilot/agent etc.

My guess is that the driver doesn't want your bike on his bus. Cripes, I wouldn't either and I'm surprised you're allowed to bring it on. How do people get by?

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not letting the transit people off the hook. The proper way to address the issue of bikes on buses is to put racks on the busses, not harass the riders.

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
We bring our bikes on the trains in MN, I've done it a ton of times... and they have racks to hang your bike.

Attachment 550004

Trains are larger than buses... never-the-less, bringing a bike on mass-transit shouldn't be an issue (if it doesn't have a rack). Wheelchairs and other mobility devices are on and off buses all day long.

To the OP, I'd uncover my face for my comfort because I'd overheat on the bus for full-face coverage (actually I overheat outside with full-face coverage, but I'm a freak, so that's not really helpful or relevant).
Wow, - flashback. I've been posting here too long, - that was like 8 years ago.

But I stand by what I said. I've also had my bike on those very trains many times. In fact I probably had my bike on one the very first Monday that the Hiawatha line was open. But buses and trains in Minneapolis are apples and oranges. The trains have accommodations for bikes, the buses do not, at least not on the inside. Wheelchairs are fine on buses. There's a spot right next to the front door designed for them. Strollers are not. You're supposed to take your child out of the stroller, fold the stroller up and stow it. Traditional bikes are also not allowed inside the bus though I haven't seen a bus without a rack on the front in quite awhile.

I also tend to avoid bringing my bike on the train during the afternoon rush hour out of politeness, especially during the winter when my bike gets pretty grimy. It's just too crowded. Some metro areas ban bikes on trains during rush hours and allow them at other times. Wouldn't be that surprised if that happened here though it tends not be be as much of a problem in the morning.

As far as the balaclava thing goes, well it probably depends on the particular region and perhaps the time of year. Like I said 8 years ago, people are probably more surprised that I'd be riding a bike in -20 °F than they would be that I'm wearing a balaclava on a train in -20 °F.

Last edited by tjspiel; 01-23-17 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-23-17, 04:27 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Did all you guys from post 118 on read the entire 8 year old thread post before posting?
Old 01-24-17, 09:52 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Wow, - flashback. I've been posting here too long, - that was like 8 years ago.
Did all you guys from post 118 on read the entire 8 year old thread post before posting?
Classic Hypno Toad, skipping details.
Old 01-24-17, 11:08 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
So a few years ago I bought a balaclava for cold weather and was advised that it may be risky to wear in public. Being curious, I decided to see if there were any ordinances, laws, or other restrictions and found that may be indeed illegal in North Carolina. Here is the text of the statute:

§ 14‑12.7. Wearing of masks, hoods, etc., on public ways.
No person or persons at least 16 years of age shall, while wearing any mask, hood or device whereby the person, face or voice is disguised so as to conceal the identity of the wearer, enter, be or appear upon any lane, walkway, alley, street, road, highway or other public way in this State. (1953, c. 1193, s. 6; 1983, c. 175, ss. 1, 10; c. 720, s. 4.)

§14-12.8. Wearing of masks, hoods, etc., on public property.
No person or persons shall in this State, while wearing any mask, hood or device whereby the person, face or voice is disguised so as to conceal the identity of the wearer, enter, or appear upon or within the public property of any municipality or county of the State, or of the State of North Carolina. (1953, c. 1193, s. 7.)

I really doubt that anyone would perceive that I am trying to hide my identity while wearing it in very cold weather, but there is enough ambiguity in the statute to allow law enforcement to stop me.

I have also been told that such laws were originally enacted to effectively prohibit the KKK from wearing their hoods in public.
That's really dumb. So they would not allow a person on a motorcycle to cover their face when it's cold outside, to keep their face warm? I would fight this tooth and nail if I were ever cited for it.

And yeah, 8 year old thread is old.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.