Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bike helmet that is lightweight, practical, and looks good

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Bike helmet that is lightweight, practical, and looks good

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-17, 03:09 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Vintage/classic helmet: Late '70s Bell Biker.
Add this for the complete look.

Old 04-04-17, 05:39 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I have started to like the Bell multi-sport helmets, especially the "Fusion" type with the co-molded outer shell. Not nearly as stupid looking as those weird insect looking aero helmets the MAMILs wear.

J
Old 04-04-17, 05:57 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Add this for the complete look.

Now THAT brings back memories.
Old 04-05-17, 11:43 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
Those helmets with the hair and ears are hysterical.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-05-17, 08:30 PM
sci_femme

Bikes: cyclotank

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmet is to protect your brain cells, not to make a fashion statement - that's coming from a woman.[QUOTE=kalash74;19476192] I've been riding around without one, and it's a risk everyday. /QUOTE]Understanding the risk fills me with hope there are brain cells left to protect.

Seriously - it should fit, it should vent, it should have a competent and comfortable retention system and said system should not whistle at speed. The rest is between you and your checkbook. My personal favorite is Specialized Propero.
Old 04-05-17, 09:32 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

When I was in Germany and Europe I observed people who ride bicycles everyday for their entire lives as transportation, not sport, and none of them wore a helmet (maybe one in thirty) and many of them smoked, as they rode. And they wore normal clothing and shoes.
Old 04-06-17, 05:45 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I seriously dislike a lot of the boy-racer styled bicycle helmets so our tastes may be different but my favorite helmet thus far is a Razor.

I have a Contour Roam mounted on the left, a CREE LED light on the right and a PB SuperFlash blinkie on the back. I use it for cycling, whitewater rafting/kayaking and climbing and it's easily the best fitting and secure helmet I've owned... and it's easy to tell which end points forward.
Old 04-06-17, 07:26 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
When I was in Germany and Europe I observed people who ride bicycles everyday for their entire lives as transportation, not sport, and none of them wore a helmet (maybe one in thirty) and many of them smoked, as they rode. And they wore normal clothing and shoes.
Smoking while you ride is stupid. The cigarette burns so much faster from all the wind. Plus they ride so slowly on their heavy Dutch bikes trapped in bike traffic jams that wearing lycra and helmets is pointless. Chances are another bike rider will cushion your fall in an accident at 5 mph, or whatever that is in "kph." In fact, they use "kph" so it seems faster with a higher number.
Old 04-06-17, 11:23 AM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
I would add to not overspend, especially if you will be mixing your commute with mass transit. I left my new helmet on the train yesterday afternoon and now the chase is on with the MBTA lost and found. Another rider forgot to bring his helmet onto the train yesterday morning so at least I am not alone
Old 04-06-17, 11:46 AM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
That is true, I can confirm. (I’m one of them, but only because I cannot choose :-)

Although that seems to be changing. Of course, mainly because marketing & media are pushing for it; in France the helmet has become mandatory...
Old 04-06-17, 11:49 AM
Bikewolf

Let me throw another helmet into the mix you may like. From Spain...

https://www.catlike.es/us/en/helmets...athlon/mixino/
Old 04-06-17, 12:10 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikewolf
That is true, I can confirm. (I’m one of them, but only because I cannot choose :-)

Although that seems to be changing. Of course, mainly because marketing & media are pushing for it; in France the helmet has become mandatory...
Not to get too far away from the intent of the post but I'm a huge proponent of choice. I think both 'sides' have valid arguments and having ridden from when leather hairnets were pretty much the only option until now I've only needed a helmet once, and that once was hard enough against concrete that more than made up for decades of not really needing a helmet.
Old 04-06-17, 12:30 PM
Bikewolf

Yep, choice is key. Besides, safety encompasses much more than just a helmet.
E.g. making yourself more seen/visible especially in darkness. In Europe too, many people still do things like: wearing black clothes, no lights on, smartphone & earpods in use...

And then we haven’t begun talking about how helmets are being tested...
Old 04-06-17, 06:52 PM
Loose Chain

Smoking while you ride is stupid. The cigarette burns so much faster from all the wind. Plus they ride so slowly on their heavy Dutch bikes trapped in bike traffic jams that wearing lycra and helmets is pointless. Chances are another bike rider will cushion your fall in an accident at 5 mph, or whatever that is in "kph." In fact, they use "kph" so it seems faster with a higher number.

Well they were wheezing by leaving a trail of second hand smoke
Old 04-06-17, 10:12 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
You know as crazy as that helmet looks, it might be the safest on the market. LOL!

Awhile back, someone collected data showing cars lane split much closer those wearing a helmet. So you might have something here with a helmet that looks like you're not wearing one!!
Old 04-07-17, 05:59 AM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
... Awhile back, someone collected data showing cars lane split much closer those wearing a helmet...
I was amazed at the change in attitude of most motorists after I mounted my helmet cam. A lot of people change their behavior when they realize that they are being recorded.
Old 04-07-17, 09:37 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
I've been loving my Bolle "The One" helmet with snap-in panels to cover the extensive vents for rainy and cold weather riding. Great year around and not a bad look either. The picture below has the vent covers snapped in:

Last edited by Archwhorides; 04-07-17 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-08-17, 02:42 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I've observed myself wearing regular clothes while biking on many occasions and sometimes without a helmet, - though I usually feel something is missing when I do that. I also observe myself occasionally going to bed without brushing my teeth.

My point is that I feel that wearing a helmet is a small thing I can do to take care of myself but I don't think not wearing one is an automatic death sentence. I was at a hotel in San Diego a couple of weeks ago and they had some cruisers you could take out to ride to the locals shops and the beach. They didn't have a helmet and I didn't worry about it.

And I mean no disrespect to the European riders you saw, but why should it matter to me what they do? It doesn't matter to me that much what my own co-workers wear and they aren't located halfway around the world from me. I choose my bike, clothing, and head gear for the streets, climate, distance, and conditions that I ride in and what makes me happy. I've been doing it for 10+ years. I also think that my reasons for riding may not exactly be the same as theirs. Certainly getting to work is one reason, but I have other options for accomplishing that.

Last edited by tjspiel; 04-08-17 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-08-17, 09:02 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's a go--no go thing with me and a helmet. Depends. If it's to the corner store, probably not. If it's cold, yes with a helmet cover. If it's hot, well that's why I wear a helmet.....the foam makes it like wearing a beer cooler on your head. The only problem with the vents is the sun on my balding head requiring a bandanna to block the burning rays.

As far as cost.....spend as little as you feel that your brain might be worth. Yada, yada, yada to the $30 helmet is as good as anything. I have two that I choose from depending on temp, sun and expected speeds for airflow on the ride---all directly related to comfort. I wear either (both Specialized S-Works) a Prevail or an Evade.
Old 04-09-17, 07:34 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,054 Posts
More than you wanted to know.

Executive summary: Wallmart/Target, Bell with True Fit, white for visibility, under $20.

bell connect.jpg
Old 04-09-17, 12:16 PM
RoboChrist
Swollen Member

Bikes: Linus Roadster 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kalash74
I need a bike helmet. I've been riding around without one, and it's a risk everyday. Anyway, I'm having trouble wading through all the choices. I want something that is relatively lightweight and has plenty of airflow for hot days (that seems to rule out "skate" type helmets), yet also doesn't look like I'm entering the Tour de France. Something that complements my work clothes and vintage vibe that my bike exudes would be nice. Think classy, like a Brooks saddle. But I also don't want to spend a fortune and am not trying to look pretentious. I just need something that looks right, fits well, and is comfortable.

Thoughts?
Lazer makes some nice urban helmets.