Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Fuji Feather vs Aventon Cordoba

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 01-14-18, 11:06 AM
Ride_Fast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Which one do you prefer and why? I'm getting a new bike in the 500-600 range. If you have a better suggestion by all means. Right now I'm leaning more towards the Cordoba because it's a "modern" bike.
Old 01-14-18, 01:26 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
why the Fuji Feather over the Fuji Track?
Old 01-14-18, 02:22 PM
Ride_Fast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Metieval
why the Fuji Feather over the Fuji Track?
It seems to get more votes. Do you prefer the track over the feather? I have not ridden any of these bikes.
Old 01-14-18, 02:33 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
I own a Fuji Track which is basically the same as the feather. It’s an OK bike that gets the job done. Rode it for a while no issues, currently it’s hooked up to my trainer where it resides.

I wanted a steel bike at the time but if I were deciding again today it would be hard not to give the Aventon a try.
Old 01-14-18, 02:53 PM
Ride_Fast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
I own a Fuji Track which is basically the same as the feather. It’s an OK bike that gets the job done. Rode it for a while no issues, currently it’s hooked up to my trainer where it resides.

I wanted a steel bike at the time but if I were deciding again today it would be hard not to give the Aventon a try.
I have not yet ridden or owned a steel bike. My previous bikes have been aluminum and since I've never really had any complaints about aluminum frames that's what I go for.
Old 01-14-18, 03:13 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by Ride_Fast
It seems to get more votes. Do you prefer the track over the feather? I have not ridden any of these bikes.
I was just curious I've not ridden either of them.
I bought one of these (see link) Dawes SST AL long time ago.
If I was to swap my ss up it would be for a wabi lightning SE, or a CXSS.
I might just splurge for the Wabi sub15 wheelset though.

Save Up to 60% Off Fixie Aluminum Track Bikes - Dawes SST AL with Carbon Fork
Old 01-14-18, 06:14 PM
Ride_Fast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Metieval
I was just curious I've not ridden either of them.
I bought one of these (see link) Dawes SST AL long time ago.
If I was to swap my ss up it would be for a wabi lightning SE, or a CXSS.
I might just splurge for the Wabi sub15 wheelset though.

Save Up to 60% Off Fixie Aluminum Track Bikes - Dawes SST AL with Carbon Fork
I'd consider a wabi if I had the money. For the people who own a wabi, how good is it, really?
Old 01-14-18, 09:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Steel is real! I am not a huge Feather fan but I would probably go with that or the Fuji Track over an Aventonton any day. The Surly Steamroller would be high on my list and I have long considered getting one with a carbon fork and putting some trick ass components on there and calling it a Steamrolleur till I save to get a better frame and sell the Surly.
Old 01-15-18, 01:03 AM
Ride_Fast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Steel is real! I am not a huge Feather fan but I would probably go with that or the Fuji Track over an Aventonton any day. The Surly Steamroller would be high on my list and I have long considered getting one with a carbon fork and putting some trick ass components on there and calling it a Steamrolleur till I save to get a better frame and sell the Surly.
But why? What is it that you dislike about Aventon? There's nothing cheap about the Cordoba. It's well constructed and brings good components. For 459$ I think it's a great deal.

Last edited by Ride_Fast; 01-15-18 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-15-18, 10:56 AM
nightfly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Never ridden a Cordoba or a Feather. However I would think a relatively inexpensive aluminum bike would ride harsher than a relatively inexpensive steel bike, all other things being equal.

My sense is that people choose aluminum more for the look than the ride, so that point may be moot. If you like the fat tube look get a Cordoba, if you like the classic track look, get a Feather. Higher end tubing of either variety offer better compromises between stiffness and comfort so there is probably less difference due to the inherent properties of the material than there is at the lower to mid range.
Old 01-15-18, 01:05 PM
Ride_Fast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nightfly
Never ridden a Cordoba or a Feather. However I would think a relatively inexpensive aluminum bike would ride harsher than a relatively inexpensive steel bike, all other things being equal.

My sense is that people choose aluminum more for the look than the ride, so that point may be moot. If you like the fat tube look get a Cordoba, if you like the classic track look, get a Feather. Higher end tubing of either variety offer better compromises between stiffness and comfort so there is probably less difference due to the inherent properties of the material than there is at the lower to mid range.
I ride an aluminum frame with carbon fork and seatpost, it has a similar geometry to the all city nature boy. I wouldn't consider it "harsh", but then again I don't have a steel bike to compare it to.
Old 01-15-18, 02:29 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I would get the fuji feather because riding aluminum on less than ideal surfaces gets old very quick due to the harshness of the aluminum that no amount of carbon components can help to iron-out.
In addition, the fuji feather has geometry that leans more toward casual/ everyday as opposed to aggressive as found with the aventon cordoba.

On the other hand, carbon components really enhances the ride of steel.

Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 01-15-18, 02:53 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
My road bike and track bike are both aluminum and I ride them everywhere.
Old 01-15-18, 05:31 PM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I suppose it depends on what you want to get out of the bike (faster riding vs. comfort) and the style you prefer (modern vs. classic).

I'd personally spring for the Aventon.

If the OP rides aluminum and is happy with it, I'd tell them to get the Aventon.

If only because it's 6 pounds lighter than the Feather (irony).
Old 01-15-18, 06:08 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
TBH I'd be less inclined toward the Feather just because of the threaded headset. In my experience, they're always annoying.
Old 01-15-18, 06:34 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Never ridden a feather, but no complaints about my cordoba; I love it!
Old 01-15-18, 07:23 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by nightfly
My sense is that people choose aluminum more for the look than the ride, so that point may be moot.
I went for both, and the ride that I was looking for is something that only AL can give.

As for Comfort.. take a look at the Chain stay shape, remind you of Cannondale CAAD?

I guess this post is a vote for the Aventon Cordoba.
Attached Images
Old 01-16-18, 07:32 PM
zubes5280

Bikes: Cinelli Mash Histogram, Raleigh Tokul 3, All-City Macho Man

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get the Cordoba. It's got a lot more personality than the Feather. I've ridden both and the Feather was totally fine, but completely neutral in every way. It didn't inspire me to ride it - and that's what really matters. Riding your bike.
Old 01-19-18, 09:35 AM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I must've missed something. Is the answer to all questions no longer #KiloTT
Old 01-19-18, 09:45 AM
nightfly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
in this case #dawessst
Old 01-19-18, 12:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

But why? What is it that you dislike about Aventon? There's nothing cheap about the Cordoba. It's well constructed and brings good components. For 459$ I think it's a great deal.
Not a fan of aluminum and just not a fan of really cheap-o bikes. There aren't good components on it necessarily, just house brand components and really cheap stuff outside of that. I wouldn't really charge that much for a bike with low end house brand and Velo, VP and Kenda.

I mean it isn't as bad as a bigshot or thruster or some of those other brands that exist but it just doesn't appeal to any part of me. It costs too much to be a good cheap bike and has such low end components to be a good bike in general. If people enjoy it good for them but I wouldn't waste the money on it.
Old 01-19-18, 03:13 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
I'd consider a wabi if I had the money. For the people who own a wabi, how good is it, really?
>i have a wabi special and had a steamroller before the wabi ... the steamroller was GREAT but i switched to the wabi because its a lighter smoother drive ... i have no regrets BUT the wabi is $$ unless you can catch one on CL or Ebay
Old 01-19-18, 03:39 PM
sleepy

Bikes: All have flats.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nobody buy the Feather, so they can go for clearance on Nashbar and I can hook one up.
Old 01-25-18, 06:36 PM
Ride_Fast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not a fan of aluminum and just not a fan of really cheap-o bikes. There aren't good components on it necessarily, just house brand components and really cheap stuff outside of that. I wouldn't really charge that much for a bike with low end house brand and Velo, VP and Kenda.

I mean it isn't as bad as a bigshot or thruster or some of those other brands that exist but it just doesn't appeal to any part of me. It costs too much to be a good cheap bike and has such low end components to be a good bike in general. If people enjoy it good for them but I wouldn't waste the money on it.
Ok, so if you had 500-600$ what bike would you get? You can still get a bike with the same components like kenda, velo and VP for 700-800$.

Originally Posted by jack pot
>i have a wabi special and had a steamroller before the wabi ... the steamroller was GREAT but i switched to the wabi because its a lighter smoother drive ... i have no regrets BUT the wabi is $$ unless you can catch one on CL or Ebay
Would you say that it's a one of a kind bike or have you owned other bikes in the past that were just as good or better at the same price range and lower?

Last edited by Ride_Fast; 01-25-18 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-25-18, 09:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Ok, so if you had 500-600$ what bike would you get? You can still get a bike with the same components like kenda, velo and VP for 700-800$.
I would go with a Surly Steamroller or a Wabi or build something up with an older road frame (for instance my Cilo is unused and since I am getting new bars, stem and headset and have some old parts laying about I could make a decent little fixed gear fun machine). If I didn't work at a shop I might go with one of those Pound Sign: KiloTT that everyone talks about.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.