Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano RS61 wheels. How to rebuild?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-11-19, 08:39 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts

I have a set of Shimano RS61 wheels came with bike. They have been ok have 10,500 miles on them and I went to true the front wheel. These take a special large spoke wrench? None of mine work and went to LBS to get one and they did not have spoke wrench to fit either. So naturally I tried with wrench set and basically rounded off two of the nipples. These spokes are bladed and they don't impress me, straight pull. So I did get another wheelset and going to rebuild this front wheel the rear is actually fine. Then keep them for the trainer and spares.

First question is how to you get spokes and nipples in on tubeless wheelsets? I ran them with tubes but now I just cannot figure the best way to rebuild the wheel. I thought I can simply use new brass nipples but that might not work and I can ask shimano what to do? The next question is what is the best method to put spokes and nipples in tubeless wheelset. I actually thought about drilling holes since I will never use them as tubeless. Would that work or compromise the rim. I take any advice and maybe what spoke wrench works?
Old 07-11-19, 11:03 AM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
I think the wheels you're talking about are "R561" not "RS61". [deleted rest of comment because I was wrong on this.]

Last edited by AeroGut; 07-11-19 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-11-19, 11:16 AM
deacon mark

This is what comes up these are the wheels https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-WH-RS61-TL-F-3380.pdf
Old 07-11-19, 12:22 PM
deacon mark

I went to my original package came with wheels and sure enough the spoke wrench was in the box, 2 of them in fact to hold the bladed spokes. Manage to get the wheel back very true that is great.
Old 07-12-19, 12:10 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I went to my original package came with wheels and sure enough the spoke wrench was in the box, 2 of them in fact to hold the bladed spokes. Manage to get the wheel back very true that is great.
Awesome! Good of them to include the specialty tools with the wheel, sort of like IKEA furniture coming with the allen wrenches.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-12-19, 12:48 PM
deacon mark

I still would like to figure out ho you spoke a wheel with no holes, It appears the only choice is going through valve stem and then using magnet. Another reason not to run tubeless tires. I cannot for the life of me see any advantage to tubeless tires unless you just get flats every time you ride. We have lots of chip seal here in the flatlands but those are ok and I pick roads carefully. I avoid the ones that are messy.