Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Going from Road Bike to Gravel Bike - Need Help on groupset choice

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-19, 09:01 AM
cwiginton

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been riding a Specialized Allez for about 11 years now that has a Shimano 105 groupset (with the exception of the rim brakes which are some Specialized branded brakes). A couple of years back, I switched out the original cassette for different gearing a switched out the rear derailleur for a newer long-cage Shimano 105 at that time.

I am trying to decide between a Specialized Diverge Sport (with 105) and the Specialized Diverge Comp (with Ultegra). The price difference between the two is $950.00. Thoughts and opinions on which route to take are appreciated. Is it worth it on a gravel bike to spring for the more expensive Ultegra. Appears there is no difference in the wheelset between the two. Looks like you get an S-Works seatpost with the Comp, so I guess not all of the cost increase is attributable to Ultegra.
Old 09-24-19, 10:39 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
105 7000 with 48/32 or 46/30 crankset and RX800 derailer.
Old 09-24-19, 11:10 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by cwiginton
I have been riding a Specialized Allez for about 11 years now that has a Shimano 105 groupset (with the exception of the rim brakes which are some Specialized branded brakes). A couple of years back, I switched out the original cassette for different gearing a switched out the rear derailleur for a newer long-cage Shimano 105 at that time.

I am trying to decide between a Specialized Diverge Sport (with 105) and the Specialized Diverge Comp (with Ultegra). The price difference between the two is $950.00. Thoughts and opinions on which route to take are appreciated. Is it worth it on a gravel bike to spring for the more expensive Ultegra. Appears there is no difference in the wheelset between the two. Looks like you get an S-Works seatpost with the Comp, so I guess not all of the cost increase is attributable to Ultegra.
Do you have a link for each bike you're looking at?
Old 09-24-19, 11:18 AM
shoota 

If they're the current models then I'd go for the Sport, it's a way better value.
Old 09-24-19, 12:21 PM
cwiginton

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
If they're the current models then I'd go for the Sport, it's a way better value.
Yes, they are the current models.
Old 09-24-19, 01:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
LINKS
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/di...=264787-171307 Diverge Comp $3750 for Ultegra and Praxis Zayante drivetrain
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=227302-154306 Diverge Comp $3750 for Ultegra and Praxis Zayante drivetrain
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...-comp/p/129079 Diverge Comp $3000 for 105 and Praxis Alba
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=227314-154625 Diverge Sport $2800 for 105 and Praxis Alba drivetrain
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/di...=264789-171325 Diverge Sport $2800 for 105 and Praxis Alba drivetrain

The above 5 bikes are currently listed on Specialized's website as being Comp or Sport with 105 or Ultegra drivetrains.
I assume you are referring to the Diverge Sport at $2800 and the Diverge Comp at $3750?

Looks like the differences are Ultegra vs 105 shifting, Zayante vs Alba crank, saddle is different, and tires are different.
Who cares about the saddle difference- thats something many people change anyways and if one fits better in the shop, im sure they would swap and adjust accordingly to make the sale.
Tires are something that many have preferences on, so that isnt a place I could comment, especially since I dont buy Specialized stuff and have no experience with their branded tires.
- Ultegra vs 105. There is a weight benefit to Ultegra. Thats it. Both will shift reliably, stop reliably, and last just as long as the other. The weight penalty is negligible(to me).
- Zayante vs Alba. There is a weight benefit to Zayante. Thats it. Same chaninrings on both. The weight penalty is something like 80g, which is about what bar tape weighs.

A Zayante costs $25 more than an Alba crank. I dont think the tires and groupset tier jump justify $950 in cost. But Ultegra is really nice(i have some of it on road bikes and my gravel bike). I also have 11sp 105 on a road bike and it works great. None of this stuff is bad at this price point.

...and the Specialized site deserves a special section in Hell for being so confusing. Why are there so many versions of the Diverge and so many web pages for the two bikes you are asking about?!?
Old 09-24-19, 01:46 PM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
I had no idea the Diverge was that expensive..
Old 09-24-19, 02:22 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr

...and the Specialized site deserves a special section in Hell for being so confusing. Why are there so many versions of the Diverge and so many web pages for the two bikes you are asking about?!?
It's ridiculous isn't it.
Old 09-24-19, 03:57 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
i would wait for specialized to update the future-shock on the diverge before buying, the 2020 Roubaix came with new future-shock with hydraulic damping
Old 09-24-19, 04:18 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Hmmm
I'm starting to think $2800+ for 105 hydro and carbon is our new norm. At least from the big guys.
Old 09-24-19, 05:27 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
LINKS
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/di...=264787-171307 Diverge Comp $3750 for Ultegra and Praxis Zayante drivetrain
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=227302-154306 Diverge Comp $3750 for Ultegra and Praxis Zayante drivetrain
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...-comp/p/129079 Diverge Comp $3000 for 105 and Praxis Alba
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...=227314-154625 Diverge Sport $2800 for 105 and Praxis Alba drivetrain
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/di...=264789-171325 Diverge Sport $2800 for 105 and Praxis Alba drivetrain

The above 5 bikes are currently listed on Specialized's website as being Comp or Sport with 105 or Ultegra drivetrains.
I assume you are referring to the Diverge Sport at $2800 and the Diverge Comp at $3750?

Looks like the differences are Ultegra vs 105 shifting, Zayante vs Alba crank, saddle is different, and tires are different.
Who cares about the saddle difference- thats something many people change anyways and if one fits better in the shop, im sure they would swap and adjust accordingly to make the sale.
Tires are something that many have preferences on, so that isnt a place I could comment, especially since I dont buy Specialized stuff and have no experience with their branded tires.
- Ultegra vs 105. There is a weight benefit to Ultegra. Thats it. Both will shift reliably, stop reliably, and last just as long as the other. The weight penalty is negligible(to me).
- Zayante vs Alba. There is a weight benefit to Zayante. Thats it. Same chaninrings on both. The weight penalty is something like 80g, which is about what bar tape weighs.

A Zayante costs $25 more than an Alba crank. I dont think the tires and groupset tier jump justify $950 in cost. But Ultegra is really nice(i have some of it on road bikes and my gravel bike). I also have 11sp 105 on a road bike and it works great. None of this stuff is bad at this price point.

I'm guessing because one SKU is MY2020 and the other is MY2019 nd one is 2018, based on SKU

Originally Posted by Hmmm
Carbon fiber with 105 and Ultegra...is now that expensive. Even Salsa has 105 builds that ping $3000
Old 09-24-19, 06:26 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
For the differences listed here, I but save your money and get 105.
Old 09-24-19, 08:46 PM
csrpenfab

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by softreset
I'm starting to think $2800+ for 105 hydro and carbon is our new norm. At least from the big guys.
Very true. That’s why I pulled the trigger on a 2019 Niner RDO RLT 9 for $2800 with full Ultegra.
Old 09-25-19, 06:21 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
The direction the groupset is moving towards is about the crankset. In the near future or even now we see a single ring coupled with a wide range in the back cassette.

Its going to be which version: Ultegra, etc. will make it work. SRAM is way ahead of the game, even ahead of Shimano as some wrenches would say.
Old 09-25-19, 07:14 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
The direction the groupset is moving towards is about the crankset. In the near future or even now we see a single ring coupled with a wide range in the back cassette.

Its going to be which version: Ultegra, etc. will make it work. SRAM is way ahead of the game, even ahead of Shimano as some wrenches would say.
Are you saying road groupsets are going to 1x and all the current 2x groups will soon be obsolete?
I am not sure why 2x and 1x cant co-exist. There are people who prefer both, and there is riding that is good for both.
SRAM has been ahead of Shimano on drop bar 1x for sure, but the Shimano GRX group has a 1x option and that will allow people to have 1x group brand options.
Given the recent and current Shimano releases that are drop bar 2x, I dont understand how that setup will be gone in the near future.
Old 09-25-19, 08:53 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I ride both road and gravel bikes with 105, compact 50/34. Only difference is, the Motobecane gravel bike has a Gossamer FSA crank instead of Shimano 105 crank on Domane S5. It was easy to hit the ground running on the gravel bike.

IMO, upgrading to 105 bikes from bikes with lesser groupsets is like going from standard definition TV to high definition TV. Major upgrade.
Old 09-26-19, 06:06 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Are you saying road groupsets are going to 1x and all the current 2x groups will soon be obsolete?
I am not sure why 2x and 1x cant co-exist. There are people who prefer both, and there is riding that is good for both.
SRAM has been ahead of Shimano on drop bar 1x for sure, but the Shimano GRX group has a 1x option and that will allow people to have 1x group brand options.
Given the recent and current Shimano releases that are drop bar 2x, I dont understand how that setup will be gone in the near future.
Not necessarily obsolete for everyone. Just the direction. The gravel riders who still ride mostly on paved roads versus the others who dedicate their gravel bikes to mostly gravel and at the same time, their road bikes to the road when riding in a group.

Is it a "big direction", one that could have been predicted and that the manufacturers are already making adjustments? They are.
Old 09-26-19, 07:00 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Not necessarily obsolete for everyone. Just the direction. The gravel riders who still ride mostly on paved roads versus the others who dedicate their gravel bikes to mostly gravel and at the same time, their road bikes to the road when riding in a group.

Is it a "big direction", one that could have been predicted and that the manufacturers are already making adjustments? They are.
Interesting.
I still see a lot of 2x on gravel bikes around me. 1x is certainly seen too. Doesnt seem like either is going anywhere anytime soon here.

As for what Shimano road group will get 1x first- GRX exists, so Ill say that GRX will be the one.
Old 09-26-19, 09:50 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
1x is somewhat a fad in this application.

Mountain bikes need 1x to remove constraints on frame design and suspension

I could make a weak argument for cross, as I never spin out my small chain ring on cross.

But for gravel/road it really does nothing. Chain retention shouldn’t be an issue on well designed/speced bike. Adding a monster cassette isn’t going to save you the weight of losing one chain ring. If I’m running with the testosterone laced crowd, we may be doing some 35mph sprints which drop the 1x people (prompting a regroup).

There is nothing wrong with 1x for many people. It looks kinda cool, and may be less confusing for some people, but its not going to meet everyone’s needs.
Old 09-26-19, 10:12 AM
danmyersmn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
I just went through the same decision. I decided on the 105 group. I built up a set of 700c and 650b wheels for it but the DT Swiss set that it came with are not at all bad.