Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Looking to add a bike.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Looking to add a bike.

Old 09-24-19, 09:12 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Looking to add a bike.

I currently ride a Quick 3 with a 35* riser stem and swapped the cog set to a 11/36 for the hills and my old knees. What I am thinking is adding a Topstone aluminum frame and 105 hardware. I am going to test ride it but I also realize that a 15 minute ride is not going to tell it all. Just wondering if anyone here has tried something similar and what you found as a result. Not a ton of money but would be selling something to fund it and would like to know I wasn't fooling myself and will have to understand that ship has sailed. Back surgery in 2001 has left me with issues in my left hand and elbow and of course my spine. I am not looking for any absolute just some anecdotal experience if there is any.
Thanks, Frank.
Old 09-24-19, 11:44 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Looking at the two bikes side by side, the Q3 has more drop in the top tube than the Topstone but the other main difference is
drop bars versus straight bar. You will note little difference in the Sora versus 105. But if your L hand problem causes some
discomfort in shifting the straight bar shifter, you MIGHT be a little better off with a drop bar but depends on what the problem
is. For me, with thumb carpal area pain more muscle than bone, a thumb operated shifter is difficult. OTOH I built up one
bike with the 105 7000 series and the thumb doesn't like being hooked over the inside of the brifter when shifting, and the shifter
seems to take more force than the prior Ultegra 6503 equivalent. Dunnoh what your considerations are however.
Likes For sch:
Old 09-24-19, 04:31 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Originally Posted by sch
Looking at the two bikes side by side, the Q3 has more drop in the top tube than the Topstone but the other main difference is
drop bars versus straight bar. You will note little difference in the Sora versus 105. But if your L hand problem causes some
discomfort in shifting the straight bar shifter, you MIGHT be a little better off with a drop bar but depends on what the problem
is. For me, with thumb carpal area pain more muscle than bone, a thumb operated shifter is difficult. OTOH I built up one
bike with the 105 7000 series and the thumb doesn't like being hooked over the inside of the brifter when shifting, and the shifter
seems to take more force than the prior Ultegra 6503 equivalent. Dunnoh what your considerations are however.
Thank you for this response. I put the vertical grips on the bike for variety as my left hand would get numb and hurt. My biggest concern is going to be if I am able to make the angle on the drops with my wrist. Only a ride will tell if I can work with it.
Thanks again, Frank.

Last edited by Helderberg; 09-25-19 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-25-19, 03:53 PM
Helderberg

After rereading my original post I realized that I am the only person that can answer this question. Sorry for taking up the bandwidth so I will ask this post be either closed or deleted. Thanks sch for your response. I had not considered the difference in the shifters and that just goes to the fact that I have't gone for the test ride yet. With the best information posted here it will mean nothing without me in the saddle and time for the ride.
Frank.