Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anything really wrong with Biopace?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anything really wrong with Biopace?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-19, 06:49 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenNeedle
No idea on there being another hole or not behind the sticker. What would the other hole be used for?
It's just a cutout. Pretty sure the cheaper ally rings were missing the hole behind the sticker, like the steel rings... just look at the back of the ring - either there'll be metal where a hole should be, or you'll see the back of the sticker covered in crud.
Old 09-26-19, 12:34 AM
GreenNeedle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I might also try some 175 crank arms. I've been using 170 on the Trek and I'm betting the Biopace will work better at lower cadence with a bit more leverage from longer cranks.
Funny you going that way. I am looking at going the other way and trying some 170s. No problems with the 175s but just to try.

Originally Posted by Kimmo
It's just a cutout. Pretty sure the cheaper ally rings were missing the hole behind the sticker, like the steel rings... just look at the back of the ring - either there'll be metal where a hole should be, or you'll see the back of the sticker covered in crud.
I'll have a look later on. They are back on my 1981 Sun Solo with the rest of the groupset at the moment.
Old 09-28-19, 05:49 AM
Decadence

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
A recent roadie resto-project of mine came with an exage/biopace crankset, and while I haven't been up any steep hills yet, the biopace rings feel good and shift smoothly. They probably aren't super-light but they're totally functional
Old 09-28-19, 06:45 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
One of their selling points BIDT, used to be that Biopace rings were "designed by a computer". And since we all know that computers pretty much infallible, that's probably why they shift so good.
Old 09-28-19, 01:08 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by GreyGoat
nothing wrong with them.. i would use them for a winter ride.. my only gripe about them at the time was that it was hard to find a bike without them ..

Here today gone tomorrow. Reminds me of the latest fad in road bikes.
Old 09-28-19, 09:00 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by Decadence
A recent roadie resto-project of mine came with an exage/biopace crankset, and while I haven't been up any steep hills yet, the biopace rings feel good and shift smoothly. They probably aren't super-light but they're totally functional
If they're ally forget the weight, NBD. But a plain big just doesn't cut it next to one with ramps and pins, especially if it's properly indexed to the small ring, and Shimano (I use SRAM rings on one bike because ramps and pins by anyone is way better than none, the rest is diminishing returns). The Biopace big rings are pretty close to round, anyway; they don't do much.

To index a modern big ring against a Biopace small ring, you'd need to have a matching small ring to find a position to mount the big ring so the small ring's teeth are in the same spot relative to it. Since it won't be a 40t, you should be able to get it close enough.

Last edited by Kimmo; 09-28-19 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-30-19, 06:02 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I had some shifting issues when I tried to combine the 52T Biopace big ring with a conventional 38T little ring. But the chain drops may have been the usual problem with too much difference in diameter, not specifically a non-round chainring issue. I tried it for only a week and didn't care for the gear steps anyway -- with a 7-speed freewheel the steps are more critical.

I switched back to the 42 Biopace mostly because I like the feel on slow cadence climbing. It's subtle but I can feel a little mechanical advantage that suits my raggedy cadence. And I plan to try some 172.5 or 175 crank arms instead of the 170 on the bike now.

I may swap out the 52 big ring Biopace and try a round 52 or 53 big ring. As other folks noted, there's less elongation with the 52 Bioopace and it doesn't feel like it offers the same advantage in slow cadence, higher effort pedaling. It'll be interesting to see whether a 53T ramped and pinned round big ring gets along okay with the 42 Biopace.