Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Austro Daimler Ultima freewheel...?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-19, 08:45 AM
cletusjones

Bikes: Specialized Expedition 1984, Fuji Chikara, Austro Daimler Bike-With-no-Name, Motobecane Le Champion and Cannondale R700 (1994?)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Newbie here and full disclosure I do not actually have an Ultima . I do have a no- model- name AD Bordeaux Red 531 frame set built up with mostly( but not all) SR components. I've been snagging Campy stuff to get it as close to Original as I can in both looks and in composition. I'm stymied by the chain and freewheel though. It has a 6 speed Suntour Pro Compe now and standard chain. Was the original a 5 speed or 6 speed? The Catalog stated Maillard Oro for the freewheel but searching on that has yielded me nothing. The chain is no better for info. Regina maybe..? The Frame Set looks 1977ish but the SR is post 1981. Pretty sure this was a custom build on a factory frame set rather swapping out worn parts over the years. Any info you guys might have or could point to would be hugely appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 10-03-19, 09:30 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Welcome to forums. If this is a rider I wouldn’t get too hung up originality of the chain and freewheel, just put a 7,8,9 speed KMX chain on it with a good quality freewheel in a size ratio comfortable to ride with.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-03-19, 10:39 AM
cletusjones

Bikes: Specialized Expedition 1984, Fuji Chikara, Austro Daimler Bike-With-no-Name, Motobecane Le Champion and Cannondale R700 (1994?)

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I picked up a NOS gold 5 speed Pro Compe Freewheel so that would look right but KMS doesn't seem to offer a gold chain in their multi speed line. I suspect 10/11 speed gold chainS wouldn't work well w/ vintage cogs. I would like the reality of original where I can and the illusion where I can't!
Old 10-03-19, 01:13 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
I would think that an 8 speed chain would work just fine. Take a look at this one.

Welcome to Bike Forums. I have had a couple of Oro or Gold Maillard freewheels over the years. Both 5 and 6 speed models. IIRC both had French threading for the hubs.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 10-03-19, 02:13 PM
cletusjones

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
My SR hub must have English threads for the Suntour to have fit it - I hope! Do you recall if the Maillards were noticeably lighter than standard freewheels? The reason I ask is the claimed weight of the Ultima was 19.5 pounds which boggles my brain on how they hit that. low a number! Thanks by the way for the suggestion on the chain; I snagged one!
Old 10-04-19, 06:28 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
@cletusjones, the Maillards are a heavy freewheel. I've never weighed them but I'd describe the body thicknesses as "overbuilt" similar to Suntour Perfect and ProCompe freewheels. Very rugged and durable. If A-D were going for a lighter weight freewheel it would be either a Regina or an Everest.

However, at best the same tooth count on the sprockets from one brand to another would only be a few ounces. So I would surmise the freewheel is not where the weight savings was achieved.

Three more posts and you can add pictures. Keep the questions coming!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com