Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge 1000 - advanced routing and software update questions

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 10-14-19, 03:15 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts

Hi All,

I decided to look in to updating my Edge 1000. There are some trails I have been on recently that Google Maps doesn't even have yet so I was curious if there were map updates for the Edge 1000.

First scenario - on the software updates. My unit hasn't been updated since I got it around 2016 or 2017. It had v11 software on it and the update brought it to v15.20. Before I processed the update I backed up the folders on the unit. Then I tried the update. It told me there wasn't enough memory and I had to insert an SD card. I pulled the one out of my phone - 4gb, formatted it (full, not quick), and installed it in the Edge 1000. Then I started the update over. It took it. The update ran to about 4-5% and the Edge 1000 lost connection with the computer (drive disconnected - the cable was still in, just the device recognition on the computer was gone). Because of the instructions saying that the device had to remain connected the whole time I figured I was SOL on that attempt so I unplugged the cable and power cycled the unit so it was off. Then I forced the program on the computer to stop (ctl-alt-delete -> task manager) as the program was ticking away with the update as if it never lost connection with the Edge 1000 (the status of the software update that is - the top of the screen clearly showed the Edge 1000 not connected). I got the program back up, plugged the Edge 1000 in, and started the update over again. It ran without disconnecting. When it ended it showed there was an error with the update. The unit, however, runs fine and the map is clearly updated as it has trails and roads there now that weren't there before.

Once I got up to v15.2 and the map update ran (supposedly, even though it failed) I got prompts for more updates being available. So I tried them. It errors out.

Am I doing something wrong? Did I screw something up? The unit still works - and the map is much more up-to-date, so I don't get it.

Second scenario -

The ride I did yesterday was part road and part trail. That was mostly in-part due to trails not being on either the Edge 1000 or Google Maps correctly. When I figured out the trails I came back that way - on as many of the trails as there were. I saved that ride as a course to recall later. However, as stated - there is some road riding in there whereas I will stick to the trails next time. If I use navigation for that route, to see where I had been before on the way without stopping to "navigate", and ride the trails in portions where I rode on the streets before - will the current ride record the trails as I ride them in place of the roads in the nav already set as part of the current Course to where I can recreate a new Course with the updated ride solely on trails?
Old 10-14-19, 04:53 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Can't help with the update issues, that might require a call to Garmin. I do know that while it seems the "update" can take hours, I believe sometimes the actual new OS is quick, it's maps and such that takes forever. The updates I've done on a 1000 and 1030 required the unit to install the OS during the boot cycle and I see that on the device screen.

As to trail maps, I wouldn't for a nanosecond expect Google maps to have trails on them. Real basic stuff but nobodies riding mt. bike trails and getting the data to Google. Nor Garmin for that matter and I've never found the resident maps in a Garmin at all useful.

OTOH, the 1000 can do Garmin iQ apps and I would recommend the TrailForks app. That website is about the largest on-going database of off-road "trail" maps I've found. I state "trail" as they seemingly are not really integrating well with gravel and fire roads, IMO. That said, you can either find local trails on TF, create a route and download it to the 1000. Once you get the OS fixed.

As note and while I'm aware that Garmin has a reputation towards each OS update fixing 2 things, it then breaks something, thus I can understand not fixing something that ain't broke. Still, waiting that long to update seems to have bitten you in the butt, unfortunately.
Old 10-14-19, 05:38 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

By "trail" I mean paved suburban bike trails (although, in neighborhoods they are more like dog-walk-n-squat paths and stroller paths). If you toggle Google Maps to show bike routing the full trails show up as a solid green line and known bike-friendly (read that term with a grain of salt) roads show up as dashed green lines.

"Trail", in the context of this thread and my second scenario question, has no bearing on mountain biking or "off road". Although, some rail-trails etc are crushed gravel. I believe these, on Google Maps, should show up as brown lines instead of green.
Old 10-14-19, 06:05 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
You should ask your question on the Garmin forums. Unfortunately, there isn't a subforum for the 1000 any more.
Old 10-14-19, 06:17 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
By "trail" I mean paved suburban bike trails (although, in neighborhoods they are more like dog-walk-n-squat paths and stroller paths). If you toggle Google Maps to show bike routing the full trails show up as a solid green line and known bike-friendly (read that term with a grain of salt) roads show up as dashed green lines.

"Trail", in the context of this thread and my second scenario question, has no bearing on mountain biking or "off road". Although, some rail-trails etc are crushed gravel. I believe these, on Google Maps, should show up as brown lines instead of green.
OK, I think of a “trail” as in the context of “hiking trail” or “mt. bike trail”, with a paved or gravel/dirt multi-use trail as a “path”, but a lot of folks refer to them as “MUTs”. Semantics. But in your case yes, Google does indicated multi-use paths/trails, as does Garmin Connect and RideWithGPS. I’ve had hit and miss luck with Garmin and RWGPS routing me correctly on MUT’s. I’m going to guess that if you see the path/trail on the recorded ride and have saved it, then the device can and will navigate you on that path/trail in the future. And as you’ve noticed, the maps get updated with new data all the time, trails/paths included so it’s useful to update.
Old 10-14-19, 06:24 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,490 Times in 2,843 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
You should ask your question on the Garmin forums. Unfortunately, there isn't a subforum for the 1000 any more.
True, but there is a forum for 1030, and threads on the 1000 show up there: https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fit...ng/f/edge-1030

To my surprise, in the first thread on the 1000's infamous GPS+GLONASS issue*, there is a posting from just 25 days ago from a Garmin rep, indicating they are working on a fix.

(*) Short summary: If the 1000 is set to GPS+GLONASS, you will likely have an issue at some point with it failing to find satellites. I was using mine for 4 months before this bug bit me. The workaround it to set it to GPS-only.
Old 10-15-19, 08:21 AM
fsdogwood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, this GPS+GLONASS bug got me one day, that my edge1000 lost GPS every 5 seconds.
Old 10-15-19, 08:45 AM
KC8QVO

Oddly enough, I experienced the GPS bug on my last ride when I started out. It took about 5-10 minutes for the GPS to acquire sats and hold. Now I know to knock it to GPS-only. Note that this was prior to the software update, so it was still the v11 or so that was on it from the factory.
Old 10-25-19, 07:02 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,490 Times in 2,843 Posts
A couple new developments:

1. There is once again a Garmin forum for Edge 1000:
https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fit...ng/f/edge-1000

2. And in this forum is an announcement of firmware 15.21 Beta for the purpose of fixing the GPS+GLONASS bug:
https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fit...-now-available
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 10-25-19, 09:38 PM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
A couple new developments:

1. There is once again a Garmin forum for Edge 1000:
https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fit...ng/f/edge-1000

2. And in this forum is an announcement of firmware 15.21 Beta for the purpose of fixing the GPS+GLONASS bug:
https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fit...-now-available
Thank you
Old 11-13-19, 11:08 AM
KC8QVO

For what it is worth, I got the update for 15.30 and finally loaded it. It ran without a problem. I plugged the Edge 1000 in to the computer and got a prompt for another map update just now as well. So I have that running. That is a big download ~3 hours or so. We'll see if it takes. I did back up a lot of stuff prior to starting it just-in-case.