Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever fought in their spandex?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Has anyone ever fought in their spandex?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-09, 05:00 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jabantik00
spandex is probably ok. it shouldn't restrict your motion much, nor will it provide much protection. i think fighting in road shoes with cleats will likely put you at some disadvantage. fighting in general is pretty much a lose-lose situation no matter who wins
That was my thought. If you're going to throw down, get out of the cleats. Then you'll be a barefoot guy in spandex but at least you've got a chance.

Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Ew.

That is funny.

I'll confess that keeping my temper is still hard and I suspect I'm older than you but it is the best way to go.
Old 10-20-09, 05:03 PM
jformsma@mac.co

Bikes: Dean El Vado Titanium, Trek 4300

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is such a stupid thread. I'm not really sure why I clicked on it in the first place.

And come to find out, there never was a fight, except in someone's mind. I am most disappointed.
Old 10-20-09, 05:08 PM
Lonewolf48

Bikes: madone 5.1, lemond croix de fer, fuji touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Think about this a minute. You piss this idiot off, maybe you knock him down and then you ride off on your bike. He gets back in his truck and runs over you. If you're lucky you get a little road-rash and maybe a broken arm. If you aren't lucky you'll be dead. If you're suicidal I think this is a good tactic. Also, when this bozo gets back in his truck he may just decide to buzz or brush some other cyclist, your sister or girlfriend or cycling mate. Smile and wave. There are a lot of idiots in the world and only some of them drive cars.
Old 10-20-09, 05:22 PM
tkehler

Location: My family and I -- wife and two young children -- live in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bikes: TST ti 'cross bike (commuter); Guru ti road bike; recumbent; Airnimal Chameleon folding racing bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmmm. Look, if we want to, we can probably get into a fight just about every time we're out for a ride. I know I used to get pretty pissed at those who honked, cut me off, swerved (intentionally and not), etc. I used to give them the icy glare, as a prelude to "you want some of this?", and it worked often as I'm a pretty big guy myself. But after I had kids, I started thinking, rather than reacting to the incompetents on the road. What was I going to do? Come home to my kids every day with bruised knuckles? There are so many bad drivers out there...

I think smacking an idiot driver around would give us a lot of short term pleasure and a lot of long term pain. (I.e., dealing with the authorities, the legal system perhaps, dentists, insurance people?, lawyers and -- depending on the psycho hillbilly we **** with, a mortician.)
Old 10-20-09, 05:28 PM
genius1265
Banned

Bikes: Bianchi SISS singles speed, Scandium Salsa Bandito, Kona Major Jake, Gary Fisher Big Sur, NashBar Aluc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by saratoga
Re: fighting in kit:
You might kick his ass, but would be a little out of place while waiting in the county lockup to get booked.
I work at the county lockup, which we were relatively close to. I keep spare close their.
Old 10-20-09, 05:39 PM
NathanC
Shut up legs

Bikes: Merckx

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DScott

My favourite Gary Larson.
Old 10-20-09, 05:42 PM
genius1265
Banned

Bikes: Bianchi SISS singles speed, Scandium Salsa Bandito, Kona Major Jake, Gary Fisher Big Sur, NashBar Aluc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright I accept the fact that I am wrong, and I will think back to this thread the next time I consider pickin a fight in bibs. Now I feel like a jerk and a disappointment to the cycling community.
Old 10-20-09, 05:54 PM
wants185s
wants185s

Bikes: Cannondale 2003 Caad 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genius1265
I honestly thought I was going to have to about a week ago. I was riding in the middle of nowhere, as always since I live there. JRA I see a Large Dodge Pickup which is about to meet me at an intersection. However he has the STOP sign. I continue to roll up to the intersection, he is currently braking so I proceed to drive towards it. All of a sudden I hear a loud rev, and realize as I am about to roll into this truck that hes blowing this stop sign so he doesnt have to wait an extra 2 seconds for me to pass. I slam on my brakes coming to a complete stop and put my foot down as this jack ass pulls through. I immediatly flip him the bird as I began to pedal again. In which he stopped and poked his head out the window and yelled some profanity towards me that I could not make out. He began to back up In which I stopped my bike, and in all my 6'4" spandex covered glory got ready to throw down with this ***** head. Untill he realized I was 6'4" and put his truck back into drive and pulled away. I was really excited because long have i dreamed of the day in which I could use my bicycle helmet as a weapon to bludgeon a hillbilly. So I shall wait.
He probably thought your legs were too short for your body.
Old 10-20-09, 05:58 PM
tenzing211
Road-Geek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best way to truly piss off ignorant drivers is to simply wave and shout out a "HI Fred" or "HI Betty". There is nothing as ridiculous as a motorist in red faced shame, driving away because someone said "HI" to them. You can mutter the expletives under your breath as you pedal away. But know this, we cyclist are stronger and better than most motorists, but their vehicles usually outweigh ours.
Old 10-20-09, 06:09 PM
redlizard
Engorged Member

Bikes: '08 Giant TCR Advanced 1, '06 Orbea Orca, plus a few others & MTB, too

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work at the county lockup, which we were relatively close to. I keep spare close their.
Again, think about changing that username!
Old 10-20-09, 06:18 PM
TeleJohn
Telemark!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
..i keep spare close their.
For great justice!
Old 10-20-09, 06:32 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hukt ahn fawniks + auto spell check = fail.
Old 10-20-09, 06:36 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Surely you feel better now, but if you keep doing this, sooner or later you'll meet someone with a gun and regret it.
Old 10-20-09, 06:37 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I honestly thought I was going to have to about a week ago. I was riding in the middle of nowhere, as always since I live there. JRA I see a Large Dodge Pickup which is about to meet me at an intersection. However he has the STOP sign. I continue to roll up to the intersection, he is currently braking so I proceed to drive towards it. All of a sudden I hear a loud rev, and realize as I am about to roll into this truck that hes blowing this stop sign so he doesnt have to wait an extra 2 seconds for me to pass. I slam on my brakes coming to a complete stop and put my foot down as this jack ass pulls through. I immediatly flip him the bird as I began to pedal again. In which he stopped and poked his head out the window and yelled some profanity towards me that I could not make out. He began to back up In which I stopped my bike, and in all my 6'4" spandex covered glory got ready to throw down with this ***** head. Untill he realized I was 6'4" and put his truck back into drive and pulled away. I was really excited because long have i dreamed of the day in which I could use my bicycle helmet as a weapon to bludgeon a hillbilly. So I shall wait.
You work at the county jail? I think you should be more concerned about being a disappointment to the law enforcement community.
Old 10-20-09, 06:42 PM
Atol

Bikes: CAAD9-6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure you could bludgeon someone in the head with SPD-SL's. Not that I would want to anyways. A pissed off driver might just end up running you over.
Old 10-20-09, 06:42 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I don't think he was being serious about using his helmet as a weapon. Well, unless he wears at least a football helmet; a low-priced auto racing helmet could actually work.
Old 10-20-09, 06:44 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by FLvector
You work at the county jail? I think you are a disappointment to the law enforcement community.
Corrected
Old 10-20-09, 06:49 PM
Captain Insano

Bikes: Alchemy Helios

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting, this was the topic of last Sunday's sermon (minus the spandex). Our pastor related his own experience, when he was out driving with his family. The light had turned green, and he was about to proceed through the intersection, when a huge pick-up truck went right in front of him at 50+ mph. Nobody was hit, but it could have been terrible. He got so mad that he got out his car and started running after the guy, in his flip-flops, hoping to catch the truck at the next light. As he starts huffing and puffing, and quickly losing sight of the guy, his wife pulls up and asks, "What do you think you're doing??!!".

His message was about revenge and vengence. The world tells us we need it, we want it, and we must extract it from the other guy. It's not right that people get away with things - they must pay. There must be justice.

But what are the consequences? What do we get, responding to evil with evil? What does it solve? Will people think we're better, because we've extracted revenge?

His admonition, which I admit I'm still working on, is to repay evil with good. Identify someone you don't particularly like, or have had issues with in the past, and show them some kindness. Go out of your way to be nice to them. It will surprise them, and maybe help heal that relationship. If nothing else, it will certainly confuse the heck out of them.
Old 10-20-09, 06:52 PM
wanders
going roundy round

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by estabro
This thread is brilliant.
No, it's genius...

genuis1265 that is.
Old 10-20-09, 07:30 PM
MarkSch

Bikes: Daniel Girard, Specialized Stumpjumper M2, Basso TT bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not proud of it, but I have done so....about 25 years ago. Group ride...redneck in a pickup skims our bars on a wide open, straight country road, and the redhead in our group flips him the bird, yells at him and sprints off.....

Pickup guy sees this, veers off the road and gets out.....

Figuring this doesn't look good, I pop the straps on my shoes as I'm rolling up to the ensuing melee.

Redhead rolls to a stop straddling his bike, yelling at like 300 decibels at said redneck with beerbelly. Redneck grabs friend and tosses him (and his bike) over the guardrail and into gully...friend climbs up with redneck looming over him.....

I arrive, headlock redneck, squeeze for all I am worth, flip him over my hip, onto the road, still with firm grip around his neck and calmly tell him that I will pummel him senseless should he continue to resist.

As you might guess, this has caused quite a scene, and a horde of motorists have stopped, rednecks buddy Bubba has gotten out of the pickup, and the rest of our group has rolled up.

Motorists are telling "Red" to calm down. Cyclists are telling me to let go, as Redneck is now Purple, squirming, though less than initially, and foaming a bit.

Given the stalemate, Purpleneck relaxes, Red remounts and we part ways.....

I would guess my adrenaline level was a bajillion...Do not recommend doing same, and don't think I'd find myself in the same circumstance again since I am no longer 19 and no longer riding with 23 year old redheaded cyclists.
Old 10-20-09, 07:34 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
I work at the county lockup...
Oh, now I remember you.
Old 10-20-09, 07:47 PM
genius1265
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seriously I apologize for even starting this thread, i really was only looking for cage match stories, not just a bunch of belittling. I never took into consideration the reality of a redneck shooting me/running me over. It was immature, and i will definitely make better decisions as i am sure i will face the same situations in the future.

Last edited by genius1265; 10-20-09 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-20-09, 07:50 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A flare gun could be quite useful. You don't even need to point it in their direction. Just across the bow of their vehicle.
Old 10-20-09, 08:16 PM
ok_commuter
bulletproof tiger

Bikes: Waterford 2200, Litespeed Tuscany, Salsa La Cruz, Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is true, I am however still slightly to immature to just let it go. I am going to hit someone with my helmet sooner or later.
1. Hard to admit it, but I like the cut of your jib.
2. Get a frame pump. Much better.
Old 10-20-09, 08:16 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I've found that if I flip someone off or yell obscenities I stay upset for a week. If I wave and smile like an idiot, I get over it almost right away. And I've had road raging cagers wave back in a hesitant, "do I know you?" kind of way. That absolutely makes my day.

I recommend that if you beat up a motorist, don't stop until you can steal their keys. Even normally rational people become violent criminals behind the wheel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.