Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Solid fork for 2015 Specialized Crosstrail Expert Disc?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 06:57 PM
Mattyb13

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Its Been a few months since I posted. This question is buried in the Crosstrail forum as well. I have a 2015 Crosstrail Expert Disc in Medium. Absolutely love this bike! Took it out for the spring shake down the other day and it is just awesome. Been thinking about going the Diverge route. However before I get an entire new bike I am also considering replacing the shock fork on my Crosstrail with an aluminum or carbon fork. Goal is to make the bike a little more nimble, stiffer, and a little lighter without changing the overall DNA of the bike or the experience I have on it. I almost NEVER unlock the fork, and when I do its for some fun fast paved downhill bumpy bike-path. Do any of you Crosstrail or Hybrid owners have any advice on a new fork for me? Could I buy a Sirrus fork for this bike? Are there other fixed aftermarket forks? Not looking to spend a new bike on a fork. Thanks!
Old 03-23-17, 08:01 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattyb13
Its Been a few months since I posted. This question is buried in the Crosstrail forum as well. I have a 2015 Crosstrail Expert Disc in Medium. Absolutely love this bike! Took it out for the spring shake down the other day and it is just awesome. Been thinking about going the Diverge route. However before I get an entire new bike I am also considering replacing the shock fork on my Crosstrail with an aluminum or carbon fork. Goal is to make the bike a little more nimble, stiffer, and a little lighter without changing the overall DNA of the bike or the experience I have on it. I almost NEVER unlock the fork, and when I do its for some fun fast paved downhill bumpy bike-path. Do any of you Crosstrail or Hybrid owners have any advice on a new fork for me? Could I buy a Sirrus fork for this bike? Are there other fixed aftermarket forks? Not looking to spend a new bike on a fork. Thanks!

I think you are in a difficult spot as the sort of rigid carbon fork that would do your bike justice, likely costs too much and with your head tube being a straight 1 & 1/8th inch design, most quality forks these days seem to be tapered.

What you are experiencing now, is what attracted me so strongly to the Giant Toughroad and it's carbon fork.

Anyway, the below steel forks might do the trick with any luck, and not break the bank.

Salsa CroMoto Grande Straight 29" MTB Rigid Fork - 45mm Offset - 1 1/8 inch Ahead - IS - QR

All-City Macho Man Disc Fork Black

Surly Karate Monkey 29" Fork
Old 03-23-17, 09:22 PM
djmcnz
Noob Rider

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you emailed Specialized (ridercare@specialized.com) and asked them?

I'd certainly start there, they may be able to provide some appropriate guidance.
Old 04-03-17, 07:52 PM
OutdoorsBen

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just finished putting a Karate Monkey on my 2011 Crosstrail. I can tell you that it weighs about 2.5lbs lighter than the stock suntour fork. It feels like a most more nimble bike now. I would stick to a steel fork to help absorb shock. I also changed out the bars & stem and saved another 1.34lbs there. In total i'm down about 6 complete pounds without changing the wheels.
Old 07-19-18, 09:25 AM
missesalot

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what length does the steerer tube need to be for a 2016 Crosstrail?
Old 07-28-18, 04:40 PM
Ajh800

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp Disc '14, Spec' Crosstrail Sport Disc (customed), Ellsworth Epiphany

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Exotic carbon fork, about £90 if you shop around. Will transform your cross trail into the bike you want.