Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Need some help on bike fit

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-19, 08:52 PM
DSJ13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I am 5'9'' and my inseam is ~31'' using the book method, and I initially bought a Specialized Crosstrail in size M. My LBS had varying opinions on M vs L for me, but I chose the M based on standover clearance. I rode it for a few days but couldnt seem to get comfortable. I went back to my shop and they swapped a longer stem and worked with me which I was hoping would fix it, but with the longer stem I felt like I was still 'on top' of the bars, and lowering the seat would create too much bend in my knee at the 6 oclock pedal.

So, they let me swap it for the large. Trouble with the large is I have virtually no standover clearance. How can I put this other than in plan english? Basically my nuts touch the top tube, but my pelvis still has an inch of clearance or so. So I can lift the bike into my perineum and have the wheel an inch off the ground, but the boys themselves are touching when standing over. Does that make sense?

Anyway I am at a loss here. Stick with the large? Go back to the medium with longer stem? I am right in between sizes. I have an average wingspan. I havent had much seat time on the large yet but right away when I first hopped on at the bike shop the large felt better.

Interestingly I ride a size medium Specialized Roll, which I feel really comfortable on and uses the same size guidelines as the crosstrail according to specialized. Just looking for any opinions here.

Last edited by DSJ13; 07-16-19 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-17-19, 05:41 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
That's a tough one, and I've been there. I'm just a shade under 5' 9" and often wish for a medium/large frame that would have my height in the center of its range. (Trek actually make sizes like that in some of their mountain bike range). FWIW, an inch or so of clearance to my pubic bone would be enough for me and I would lean toward the bike that felt most comfortable when actually riding it.
Old 07-19-19, 09:41 PM
DSJ13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
That's a tough one, and I've been there. I'm just a shade under 5' 9" and often wish for a medium/large frame that would have my height in the center of its range. (Trek actually make sizes like that in some of their mountain bike range). FWIW, an inch or so of clearance to my pubic bone would be enough for me and I would lean toward the bike that felt most comfortable when actually riding it.
After putting a few miles on the large the only complaint I have is neck fatigue. Perhaps the reach is too long?
Old 07-20-19, 07:49 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
In my case I am definitely a medium on paper but ride a large. The standover is exactly how you describe but I am very comfortable for my body on a large. I did swap the stem for a shorter piece with a 35* rise that has helped with my neck angle. I am concerned with the standover but if I was riding a horizontal top bar road bike I would not have any standover clearance so I do not worry about it. Go with what gives you the best comfort with the adjustability to tweak the fit to your unique size.
Frank.
Old 07-20-19, 08:19 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by DSJ13
After putting a few miles on the large the only complaint I have is neck fatigue. Perhaps the reach is too long?
I don't know about the neck fatigue. Does the shop have any advice to offer on that?