Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Online Vendors - Bikeman.com? / Valve size question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-19, 12:51 PM
ciclista_pazza

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute, Yokota mountain bike (199?), 1979 Schwinn Le Tour Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts

I need to buy some tubes and found the kind I'm looking for at Bikeman.com - has anyone had experience with this vendor before and how was it? I did a search on this forum and surprisingly there didn't seem to be much about this vendor recently - the most recent thread I found was from 2011.

For some reason I'm having a lot of trouble finding thorn resistant tubes for a schrader valve that are 700x28-32 but Bikeman has them. Also, any other suggestions for online vendors?

And one other somewhat related question - when I had a flat recently on my hybrid, my LBS were out of the schrader valve tubes so they used presta ones. I didn't think much of this at the time but I later talked to one of the mechanics over the phone and mentioned this and he said technically it could cause some issues but it's very unlikely - does anyone know if using a presta valve in a rim that is meant for a schrader valve is a big deal? Should I be concerned this could cause a flat or other issue? I assume these guys know what they're doing since the bike shop mechanics were the ones who decided using a different sized valve made sense to do, but him saying it could technically be an issue has me worried.
Old 08-30-19, 01:03 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4259 Post(s)
Liked 1,361 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by ciclista_pazza

And one other somewhat related question - when I had a flat recently on my hybrid, my LBS were out of the schrader valve tubes so they used presta ones. I didn't think much of this at the time but I later talked to one of the mechanics over the phone and mentioned this and he said technically it could cause some issues but it's very unlikely - does anyone know if using a presta valve in a rim that is meant for a schrader valve is a big deal? Should I be concerned this could cause a flat or other issue? I assume these guys know what they're doing since the bike shop mechanics were the ones who decided using a different sized valve made sense to do, but him saying it could technically be an issue has me worried.
With a rim adapter, it shouldn't be any issue at all.

https://www.google.com/search?client=tablet-android-google&ei=CnJpXeq2JKGp5wKR7pr4Cw&q=schrader+to+presta+rim+adapter&oq=presta+schrader+adapter&gs_l=mo bile-gws-wiz-serp.1.0.0i71l5.0.0..17368...0.1..0.0.0.......0.CwwC1EGYYkI

Bikeman.com should be fine to use.
Old 08-30-19, 01:26 PM
ciclista_pazza

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute, Yokota mountain bike (199?), 1979 Schwinn Le Tour Mixte

Originally Posted by njkayaker
With a rim adapter, it shouldn't be any issue at all.

https://www.google.com/search?client....0.CwwC1EGYYkI

Bikeman.com should be fine to use.
Thanks! The mechanic I talked to said they didn't do anything special so I'm guessing they didn't use an adapter. I hope this doesn't mean I'll have an issue, but I wonder how can they be doing this kind of thing on a regular basis and not have repeat complaints from customers. I hope it isn't an issue.
Old 08-30-19, 01:45 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4259 Post(s)
Liked 1,361 Times in 943 Posts
Thanks! The mechanic I talked to said they didn't do anything special so I'm guessing they didn't use an adapter. I hope this doesn't mean I'll have an issue, but I wonder how can they be doing this kind of thing on a regular basis and not have repeat complaints from customers. I hope it isn't an issue.
I doubt they used an adapter. Of course, we are talking about your wheel, which means you could check! It might save you $3!

A presta tube might squeeze into the bigger Schrader hole and wear-through the tube. (This can happen with presta tubes in presta holes.)

The adapters fill-in the bigger Schrader hole.

I wouldn't have an issue using an adapter.

If you are using a pump without a hose to fill presta valves, be careful to not snap the valve stem. Wrap your finger/hand around the tire and pump head. And pump slowly and firmly (don't pump fast or throw your body into it).

(I wouldn't have a problem buying from bikeman.com either.)
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 08-30-19, 01:57 PM
ciclista_pazza

Originally Posted by njkayaker
I doubt they used an adapter. Of course, we are talking about your wheel, which means you could check! It might save you $3!

A presta tube might squeeze into the bigger Schrader hole and wear-through the tube. (This can happen with presta tubes in presta holes.)

The adapters fill-in the bigger Schrader hole.

I wouldn't have an issue using an adapter.

If you are using a pump without a hose to fill presta valves, be careful to not snap the valve stem. Wrap your finger/hand around the tire and pump head. And pump slowly and firmly (don't pump fast or throw your body into it).

(I wouldn't have a problem buying from bikeman.com either.)
Thanks! It's sad to say but after 8 years of biking I'm still a novice at some of this stuff. I appreciate the guidance!
Old 08-31-19, 06:53 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
My friends and I do it all the time -- putting presta valves into Schrader rims. You won't have any trouble. I do it because I got tired of always seeming to have only Schrader tubes when I needed a presta, so I just buy all presta and throw presta into everything.
Likes For JonathanGennick:
Old 08-31-19, 08:06 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
I need to buy some tubes and found the kind I'm looking for at Bikeman.com - has anyone had experience with this vendor before and how was it? I did a search on this forum and surprisingly there didn't seem to be much about this vendor recently - the most recent thread I found was from 2011.

For some reason I'm having a lot of trouble finding thorn resistant tubes for a schrader valve that are 700x28-32 but Bikeman has them. Also, any other suggestions for online vendors?

They sold me my Carver frame and a few other things. Bikeman is on the up and up, good cats.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 09-02-19, 07:50 AM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
They sold me my Carver frame and a few other things. Bikeman is on the up and up, good cats.
Is it the same guy who used to do the BikemanforU Youtube videos?

If so, yes, he's legit.