Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Topstone or Domane?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-19, 06:45 AM
cma379

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Topstone or Domane?

I ride one long ride a year from NJ to Washington. While training for that ride I mainly just road train but all bike shops around me are pushing the Topstone due to it being the best of both worlds which allows you to put 28mm tires on. I’m stuck on which one to go with. I normally ride a Cannondale Synapse with Shimano 105 components in which the Domane has. Please give me your opinion to help with my decision! Also the Topstone is 1k cheaper lol
Old 10-05-19, 10:37 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
No longer considering the 1x Aspero?
https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...ek-domane.html

What's wrong with your Synapse?
As for the Topstone, that has a 105 model too, just like the Domane.

Assuming you can afford any of them, buy whichever is the most comfortable. All the bikes you mention should be way more capable than what need, so none are going to hold you back.

A month and a half into the search- it seems like a lot of time and money spent for a single ride.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-06-19, 05:51 AM
cma379

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am doing a lot of research because I am not an everyday/weekend rider and would like to keep this bike for a very long time.

as of now yes it’s the only big ride I do a year. Adulting sucks! But I do try and get in a good amount of training rides before hand.

I sold my synapse because I bought it when I was new into biking and didn’t realize it was too small for me. I bought it privately and it was a ridiculous deal.
Old 10-06-19, 08:39 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I like them both but ended up on the Topstone as it fits me. The 105 drivetrain has turned into my goto as I believe it is the best bang for my buck out there.
Ride them both and see which one feels best. I do not believe you could go wrong with either as long as the bike fits you.
Frank.

Old 10-06-19, 10:55 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by cma379
I am doing a lot of research because I am not an everyday/weekend rider and would like to keep this bike for a very long time.

as of now yes it’s the only big ride I do a year. Adulting sucks! But I do try and get in a good amount of training rides before hand.

I sold my synapse because I bought it when I was new into biking and didn’t realize it was too small for me. I bought it privately and it was a ridiculous deal.
Gotcha, makes sense.
As mentioned by another- whichever fits best is probably what you should choose. If they are both comfortable for 20mi of riding, then decide based on price or look.
Neither will hold you back.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-09-19, 08:09 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
I have been considering both of these bikes as well, and am leaning towards the Trek.

First off, the Topstone is a much more capable gravel bike, and can take larger tires. If you are doing rougher gravel, the Topstone would be the obvious choice, or you could compare to the Trek Checkpoint (Trek's comparable gravel bike) instead of the Domane.

A couple of knocks on the Topstone: It requires a special offset rear wheel dish, and has a BB30 bottom bracket. The Domane will take a standard rear wheel dish and a threaded T47 bottom bracket. Some think neither of these things are a big deal, but they are negatives in my book. Either way, most carbon bikes have some sort of press-fit bottom bracket, so the Domane is a bit unique in that it has adopted the threaded T47 standard.

Also, this review by Cycling Tips says that the Topstone has developed many creaks in their long term test. But they love the bike otherwise.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/08/cann...-a-few-quirks/
Old 10-09-19, 08:18 AM
LS1BadBird

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I was in a similar situation earlier this year and bought a Topstone 105. For what it's worth I love it and find it very comfortable on longer rides.
Old 10-09-19, 08:22 AM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
A couple of knocks on the Topstone: It requires a special offset rear wheel dish, and has a BB30 bottom bracket. The Domane will take a standard rear wheel dish and a threaded T47 bottom bracket. Some think neither of these things are a big deal, but they are negatives in my book. Either way, most carbon bikes have some sort of press-fit bottom bracket, so the Domane is a bit unique in that it has adopted the threaded T47 standard...
Just to clarify, since it wasn't clear whether the OP is looking for the carbon or aluminum models. This is true for the Carbon Topstone, but I don't think the Aluminum model has the wheel dish or bottom bracket issues.
Old 10-09-19, 08:41 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Lava
Just to clarify, since it wasn't clear whether the OP is looking for the carbon or aluminum models. This is true for the Carbon Topstone, but I don't think the Aluminum model has the wheel dish or bottom bracket issues.
Correct.
Old 10-09-19, 10:41 AM
csrpenfab

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
I was seriously considering the carbon Topstone 105 and the Trek Domane until I stumbled upon the carbon Niner RDO 9 RLT 4 star build for $2800 from Excel Sports. Full Ultegra, threaded BB, great Stan's wheels already set up tubeless with Schwalbe g-1's, etc... made it a better choice for me. I couldn't be happier with this bike on the gravel. It does everything well.

Likes For csrpenfab:
Old 10-09-19, 12:05 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by cma379
...I mainly just road train but...
The Domane is a better road bike, hands down, but it can handle some gravel with wider tires. The Topstone is a better gravel bike.

If you really do find yourself to be more of a road rider, I would go with the Domane.