Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

I'm Not Gettin' It

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

I'm Not Gettin' It

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-14, 10:59 AM
cessanfrancisco

Bikes: 2013 Masi Uno; 2008 Schwinn Madison

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm Not Gettin' It

I converted one of my single-speed bikes to a fixed gear. I was curious to find out what all of the hype is/was about surrounding fixies.

I did my homework, read up on the philosophy, the mechanics, do's and don'ts, yada, yada, yada... Then I rode my bike around the neighborhood for a few days.

I'll admit it's very different than riding single-speed and requires a different mindset. But for me I can't see any practical application outside of bragging rights for riding a fixie. I mean, where I live there are lots of hills, and my commute to work is 7 miles (from the beach to SOMA) across SF. The topography alone would kill my knees in a day. And riding in a densely populated place is just asking to be hit, or to hit something/someone. I know experienced riders can navigate a city better than Ahab on the open waters, but since I can see no practical application, for me, I have no reason to gain the experience.

So my question is, and maybe I'm missing something all together here, but what is the allure, and practical application, of the fixie, aside from minimalism, sleek looks, low maintenance, and street cred?

I apologize if I sound snarky, which is not the case, I am genuinely curious and besides...I sooo want the street cred
Old 03-10-14, 11:02 AM
bmontgomery87

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mean the minimalism, sleek looks, and low maintenance are 3 good points right there.

Some people just enjoy riding fixed. It doesn't always have to be "practical". There's nothing practical about people who drive sports cars as daily drivers, or have million dollar homes.

If you have a hilly commute, a geared bike might suit you better.
Old 03-10-14, 11:03 AM
Fiveflat

Bikes: 1996 Gary Fisher Joshua X1 MTB; Micargi beach cruiser, Marfik FG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
interweb cred > street cred
Old 03-10-14, 11:07 AM
cessanfrancisco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@bmontgomery87 - I suppose you're right. That's why I have a Honda Accord not a Porsche or Lamborghini.
Old 03-10-14, 11:09 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
I just bought a Steamroller set up as a fixie but I have no intention of riding it that way (other than maybe just to try it out once). I'm getting a freewheel and a rear brake to match the front. Ride what works for you. I'm an ex-BMXer with a severe aversion to derailleurs so it's single-speed freewheel for this guy.

Last edited by 50voltphantom; 06-12-14 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-10-14, 11:11 AM
bmontgomery87

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^No doubt. I typically prefer practical, but my fixed gear qualifies as such for me. I don't have a lot of hills, and I'm awful at working on things, so having a bike I can put together and maintain on my own was a big factor in what I purchased.

And I do feel like I get a much better workout than people who ride with me on geared bikes.

Then there's the cred, because well, track standing at stoplights has gotten me flashed a grant total of 0 times.
Old 03-10-14, 11:20 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fiveflat
interweb cred > street cred

This
Old 03-10-14, 11:29 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2633 Post(s)
Liked 3,149 Times in 1,657 Posts
I just enjoy the feel.

Also if you are riding with a front brake, then saying that the downhills kill your knees becomes moot.

I ride fixed on the road because I like the feel. My rides are pretty hilly - not SF hilly, but there are some ~5+ min climbs on most routes I ride.
Old 03-10-14, 11:35 AM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cessanfrancisco
But for me I can't see any practical application outside of bragging rights for riding a fixie. I mean, where I live there are lots of hills, and my commute to work is 7 miles (from the beach to SOMA) across SF. The topography alone would kill my knees in a day.
You have the wrong gear ratio.

And riding in a densely populated place is just asking to be hit, or to hit something/someone. I know experienced riders can navigate a city better than Ahab on the open waters, but since I can see no practical application, for me, I have no reason to gain the experience.
Dense traffic is slow traffic. Slow traffic is less dangerous than fast traffic. And this has nothing to do with riding fixed gear.
Old 03-10-14, 11:36 AM
swisscheese

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Singlecross, Fuji Tiara, Univega Alpina 5.3, Vitus 979

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally do really enjoy riding fixed gear, the simplicity of riding through the city with out having to think about reaching for brakes or shifting gears is great. However I have more geared bikes than fixed and can't wait for winter to leave so I can take my other bikes out of hibernation and for some long road rides. That said, my fixed gear is built around practicality; front and rear brakes, full fenders and cyclocross tires. Also the simple drivetrain is alot easier to deal with when riding every day in the winter.
Old 03-10-14, 11:50 AM
Cyril 

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find the difference between riding free wheel and riding fixed is the difference between having sex with and without a condom.
I ride fixed and am so much more connected.
Old 03-10-14, 12:13 PM
cessanfrancisco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input, everyone!
@Cute Boy Horse - You may be right about the gear ratio thing. I am using a 46T chain-ring and a 16T fixed gear cog. What would you suggest?

Thanks.
Old 03-10-14, 12:27 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
No one can realistically suggest which gear ratio you will find most effective. What's good for one person can totally suck for another.
Old 03-10-14, 02:33 PM
brabham79

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my casual cruiser is 47/18 w a 175 crank arm length. my geared up ready to sweat ride is 45/16. mashing ratios vs spinning ratios tend to jack up the knees ive noticed. plus i already have fat legs. need to lose some weight.
but as of course Scrod says its person to person. my case bike and occasion differences
Old 03-10-14, 03:14 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
practical application
?
:d
Old 03-10-14, 03:15 PM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
I just started riding fixed this year. I really like the feeling of being directly connected with the rear wheel, though I do run a front brake.

I built mine with a 44/18, 170mm cranks & 650a wheels for a measily 64 gear inches. I spin out at 20mph, but I can climb all the little hills around here.

I ride alone and rarely talk to the occasional cyclists I see, so street or web cred is not what I'm shooting for here. I've read so many experienced, respected cyclists say that the FG bike offers a feel like no other. I agree, even though I haven't acquired the skills to use it to the utmost. Just figured out skids (with the help of this forum) and am pretty close to getting the trackstand thing working. Gives me something to work on that I can't on a geared freewheel model. Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I'm a 61 year old FG newb.

I'll keep my geared bike for bad weather/load carrying abilities, but I'd rather be riding my FG!
Old 03-10-14, 03:35 PM
cessanfrancisco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess it is that "feeling" or "connectedness" that I read/hear so much about that I was/am looking for. So far it has been elusive. Instead all I feel is panic because I have to keep reminding myself to not coast unless I want my knees torn out and shins shredded.

Then again, maybe I'm looking too hard (perhaps it is indeed a "zen" thing). It could just be that fixed gear is not my thing. Oh well. Moving right along...
Old 03-10-14, 03:42 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

blergh
Old 03-10-14, 03:58 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

I guess it is that "feeling" or "connectedness" that I read/hear so much about that I was/am looking for. So far it has been elusive. Instead all I feel is panic because I have to keep reminding myself to not coast unless I want my knees torn out and shins shredded.

Then again, maybe I'm looking too hard (perhaps it is indeed a "zen" thing). It could just be that fixed gear is not my thing. Oh well. Moving right along...
It takes time and practice for fixed to feel second nature. You can't just jump in and expect to it all make sense. I havent had a FG for a while now but whenever I ride my friend's one I feel happy. Still, it isn't for everyone.
Old 03-10-14, 04:24 PM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Old dude with bad knees that commutes fixed in semi hilly terrain: I like dto ride fixed because of the utter silence and the different mindset...requires constant awareness (and yes I ride with 2 brakes). Sometimes it sucks and I would like to coast. othertimes, I like the transferred momentum to get me up the hill. Fixed is also nice for winter in the midwest.

If you dont like it, then dont ride it. Some crazy dudes by me ride fixed gear mountainbikes. I cannot fathom why someone would want to, but they seem to enjoy it.
Old 03-10-14, 04:25 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

It takes a while. I almost sent myself over the bars a couple of times because I tried to coast while clipped into my pedals. I've only been riding fixed for about a year but it is second nature now. And I have noticed my pedal stroke is much smoother when I ride my geared road bike and I never coast anymore on the road bike. Fixed or freewheel I'm always pedaling out of habit which is a good benefit from riding fixed
Old 03-10-14, 04:27 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Skankingbiker
Some crazy dudes by me ride fixed gear mountainbikes. I cannot fathom why someone would want to, but they seem to enjoy it.
I know people do it but I also don't understand it. As someone who did a fair amount of mountain biking in my younger days, I can't see how you can get by some more technical terrain without having your cranks horizontal (i.e. coasting)
Old 03-10-14, 05:29 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

yeah i dont get fixed mtb

sounds like a good way to slam your pedal on a rock/log and go over teh bars
Old 03-10-14, 05:35 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

I imagine it would be fun for fire roads. I now have a spare wheel and should do it
Old 03-10-14, 06:06 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
I imagine it would be fun for fire roads. I now have a spare wheel and should do it
Riding fixed on rough roads seems pretty unfun to me. I'll pass.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 03-10-14 at 06:34 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.