Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

So are the days of our lives...

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

So are the days of our lives...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-16, 11:13 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Stream it, if you can. It's a totally different experience, even for the popular primetime sports.
Old 08-12-16, 11:15 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
The NBC Sports app on iOS has pretty good (and uninterrupted) streams.

However the Men's RR wasn't up until a few days after it was over, which sucked.

my race videos
Old 08-12-16, 11:15 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
I'm at my family's now, and they only have basic, basic cable. So I think they just get the one NBC channel. Tonight I might hook the laptop up to the TV and see if we can find anything good to stream.
You have to know your cable provider login. And then you can watch pretty much anything. I was watching RSA v. IRQ soccer on the iPad while Brazil was on the TV.
Old 08-12-16, 11:18 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
According to 538, Volleyball is actually the most popular, but swimming is up there.

What Are The Worst Olympic Sports? | FiveThirtyEight

Cycling lands somewhere in the middle.
That's interesting. Track cycling people like (it's short and to the point), BMX and MTB get no love (I forgot they were even in the Olympics, honestly).

Everyone agrees race walking and horse things are not sports.
Old 08-12-16, 11:22 AM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
The NBC Sports app on iOS has pretty good (and uninterrupted) streams.

However the Men's RR wasn't up until a few days after it was over, which sucked.
Originally Posted by caloso
You have to know your cable provider login. And then you can watch pretty much anything. I was watching RSA v. IRQ soccer on the iPad while Brazil was on the TV.

The streaming is great. I was able to watch the mens RR live and without Vande Velde marble mouthing his way through the narration. I suspect I'll be using it for track cycling since the US isn't so dominant in that discipline.
Old 08-12-16, 11:33 AM
island rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you know life is going well when you flat during an interval ... on your rollers.
Old 08-12-16, 11:56 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
My son wanted a lifestyle change. He started watching what he eats, got on an exercise program (all with some guidance,of course) and as of today has lost 43 pounds since sometime in May. While it's not the most awesome thing he's done, or the most proud I've been, it is a pretty incredible transformation to witness. He's really stepped out of his comfort zone to pursue something different.
Old 08-12-16, 11:59 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Why don't we try watching a few of them sometimes instead of an interview with a swimmer after the 5th heat of 18th event of the evening.
Yeah, and the announcer asking all swimmers, "what were you trying to accomplish out there tonight? With the 50 free, you know the ****ing answer is going to be, "I wanted to hit the start good and then swim my balls off as fast as I possibly could until my lungs explode". It's not rocket science. Enough the the interviews. I remember past olympics not having many more sports but more "come back from adversity" stories. Even that was better than this crap. We pretty much only get the Olympics on NBC and Bravo and bravo was only doing tennis earlier in the week.
Old 08-12-16, 12:02 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
My son wanted a lifestyle change. He started watching what he eats, got on an exercise program (all with some guidance,of course) and as of today has lost 43 pounds since sometime in May. While it's not the most awesome thing he's done, or the most proud I've been, it is a pretty incredible transformation to witness. He's really stepped out of his comfort zone to pursue something different.
That's great. Happy for you and especially for him. Tell him a formerly-fat person on your bike forums says to stick with it. Being healthy is a cornerstone of being happy.
Old 08-12-16, 12:10 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
That's great. As someone who has had weight management issues in adulthood (I've lost and gained 60lbs twice in the past decade), I always love to hear about people who meet their goals.

I have a 5 year old and I don't think he's very athletically inclined (i.e. he hasn't shown a lot of interest in watching/playing sports), which is totally fine, as I'm not exactly a guy's guy who wants his kid playing baseball or football, but we try to encourage him to explore ways to be physically active to create habits he can carry forward to when he's more grown up. Although I loved playing sports and when I got into college I started enjoying the all you can eat dining hall a bit too much... lol
Old 08-12-16, 12:17 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
That's impressive.

Originally Posted by himespau
Yeah, and the announcer asking all swimmers, "what were you trying to accomplish out there tonight? With the 50 free, you know the ****ing answer is going to be, "I wanted to hit the start good and then swim my balls off as fast as I possibly could until my lungs explode". It's not rocket science. Enough the the interviews. I remember past olympics not having many more sports but more "come back from adversity" stories. Even that was better than this crap. We pretty much only get the Olympics on NBC and Bravo and bravo was only doing tennis earlier in the week.
"So what was your plan going into the balance beam?" "Well, you know, just go out there and execute, hit my marks, don't fall off."

"So what was your plan going into the 100m free?" Well, you know, just go out there and execute, get a good turn, don't drown."

"So what was your plan going into the kilo?" "Well, you know, just go out there and execute, get a good start, ride like hell."

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
That's great. As someone who has had weight management issues in adulthood (I've lost and gained 60lbs twice in the past decade), I always love to hear about people who meet their goals.

I have a 5 year old and I don't think he's very athletically inclined (i.e. he hasn't shown a lot of interest in watching/playing sports), which is totally fine, as I'm not exactly a guy's guy who wants his kid playing baseball or football, but we try to encourage him to explore ways to be physically active to create habits he can carry forward to when he's more grown up. Although I loved playing sports and when I got into college I started enjoying the all you can eat dining hall a bit too much... lol
I gained like 20 lbs as a freshman. All you can eat dining halls are indeed tempting for someone who loves food. Cycling helped me lose it. And then I gained it again. And lost it, and gained it again plus some. Now working on losing it again.
Old 08-12-16, 12:28 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Wow, 43 pounds in just a few months. That's an impressive feat.
Old 08-12-16, 12:59 PM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
That's great. Happy for you and especially for him. Tell him a formerly-fat person on your bike forums says to stick with it. Being healthy is a cornerstone of being happy.
+1. You can tell him two former fat people said that. Really cool to read, congrats to him.
Old 08-12-16, 01:04 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
He did it all for the nookie.
Old 08-12-16, 01:13 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

All in the summer between high school and college, right? What better time to reinvent yourself.
Old 08-12-16, 01:28 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
All in the summer between high school and college, right? What better time to reinvent yourself.
+1

Another congrats from a former (and unfortunately, once again current) fat cyclist.
Old 08-12-16, 01:40 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by island rider
you know life is going well when you flat during an interval ... on your rollers.
Well the good thing is that you weren't doing a massive effort out on the roads, is that what you mean?

I haven't been in that area since December and that was really just to pick up my dad, didn't really drive around towards Route 1 and such. It's hard to believe I used to prefer to ride on Route 1, head into downtown Stamford, and do sprints there.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 08-12-16, 01:43 PM
carpediemracing 

I was wondering. I think that's great.

I need to do something similar. Maybe not 43 lbs worth but definitely something significant, 15 lbs maybe. I figure that'll be part of my 2017 season build up. Or 2018, depending on how things go here at home.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 08-12-16, 01:44 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
That was the plan!

Thanks everyone.
Old 08-12-16, 01:50 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
He did it all for the nookie.
dag. I had two of their CDs that I played all the time when I had a 90 minute drive each way to/from work. Listening to that song brought a lot back. And it was only 9-13 years ago. Only. That was like a lifetime ago.
Old 08-12-16, 02:08 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
dag. I had two of their CDs that I played all the time when I had a 90 minute drive each way to/from work. Listening to that song brought a lot back. And it was only 9-13 years ago. Only. That was like a lifetime ago.
Speaking of music making one feel old, today marks 25 years of the release of Metallica's "black album" I was going into 6th grade and loved that album and band for years (although, thanks to having an older cousin I had already been a fan of their earlier work). The sound of the album still holds up to this day, in my amateur opinion
Old 08-12-16, 03:50 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Speaking of music making one feel old, today marks 25 years of the release of Metallica's "black album" I was going into 6th grade and loved that album and band for years (although, thanks to having an older cousin I had already been a fan of their earlier work). The sound of the album still holds up to this day, in my amateur opinion
Master of Puppets was my favorite. We were in that group that thought the Black Album was a sellout, but now it's not that bad.

I think for the most part 'selling out' is more of an evolution than actually selling out.
Old 08-12-16, 04:06 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was the plan!

Thanks everyone.
Prepping for the freshman 15. Syracuse food varies between cafeterias but a few of them are very good. Plus there's always Insomnia Cookies.

Seriously, good job Noah.
Old 08-12-16, 04:14 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
chapeau
Old 08-12-16, 04:18 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2612 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,645 Posts
bravo @gsteinbjr

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.