Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dawes Kingpin folding bike wheels

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-18, 12:47 PM
SaxoDave

Bikes: Dawes Kingpin folder, Emperor Sport, Dawes Saratoga

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello. I am looking for some advice regarding a Dawes Kingpin folder (1970s I think) which I have just been given. It is in generally good shape except the rear wheel has a rust hole on the brake rim. I would like to replace it with an original match complete with Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub but appreciate they are hard to come by.

Would there be a more readily available wheel combination I could use? The tyre states 37-440.

Any info gratefully received.

David
Old 03-05-18, 08:21 AM
LittlePixel
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hi - it's a rare size and you will probably have some trouble replacing like for like.

However, the next ISO size up - ISO451 will fit the bike just fine (just 5.5mm bigger at the brakes), and a resurgence of popularity in this size means you could either source an old rim/SA hub combination from the UK contemporary of the Kingpin - A Raleigh Twenty / Shopper / Stowaway (also badge engineered as BSA, Philps or Triumph) or get something bang up-to date built up with a new SA hub and lightweight Alloy 451 rim from a maker like Velocity or Mavic.

[Edit - I just saw your location - if you do source an old Raleigh bike wheel be sure to check it's not got ISO 406 wheels (Most N. American ones do). These will also fit but lower your bike by about an inch and may lead to issues of pedal strike, as well as possible issues in your brake calipers reaching the rims)
Old 03-06-18, 05:10 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
In the UK Raleigh Twenties are plentiful. I even picked one up from freecycle. Shouldn't have much problem sorting it. Great bikes the Kingpin although not as strong as a Twenty. Definitely worth keeping on the road and ride better than many new folding bikes.

THE RALEIGH TWENTY - The Dawes Kingpin

https://veterancycleclublibrary.org.u...20Library).pdf

https://veterancycleclublibrary.org.u...20Library).pdf
Old 03-13-18, 06:11 AM
SaxoDave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your very helpful reply. I will look out for a Raleigh Twenty or source new wheels as you suggest.
Kind regards, David
Old 03-13-18, 06:13 AM
SaxoDave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will scour Freecycle and local car boot sales for donor bikes!
Thank you
Old 03-14-18, 03:29 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
To be honest even if your original wheels were rust free it would make a lot of sense to move to 451mm as you then have more choice for tyres and possibly tubes (probably 451 tubes work in 440 tyres but its better to match the size exactly). You can get many new modern tyres in the 451mm size but I imagine 440mm tyres will be quite basic and possibly old stock.
Old 03-17-18, 06:17 AM
SaxoDave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
To be honest even if your original wheels were rust free it would make a lot of sense to move to 451mm as you then have more choice for tyres and possibly tubes (probably 451 tubes work in 440 tyres but its better to match the size exactly). You can get many new modern tyres in the 451mm size but I imagine 440mm tyres will be quite basic and possibly old stock.
Thanks again. I’m holding out for 451 rims, i think this will be my greatest expenditure. Assuming the SA 3 speed hub i have is ok perhaps i can getvtge rear wheel built around that?
I’ve now taken the bottom bracket off and found bad pitting on one spindle bearing surface. I see new spindles are cheap and mine is stamped with T.D.C No5 Made in England. I see No5s for about £5 online. Is a No5 always a No5 or are there variations?
Old 03-27-18, 02:06 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SaxoDave
Thanks again. I’m holding out for 451 rims, i think this will be my greatest expenditure. Assuming the SA 3 speed hub i have is ok perhaps i can getvtge rear wheel built around that?
I would give my right arm for a Daves Kingpin, congrats!

If you search the net you find plenty of info on refurbishing old SA hubs and you can still get parts for them. Some just fill it up with oil and ride and then change the oil.

You may need new spokes but that is depending on the profile of the new and old rim and the number of X (crosses) of your new build.

Search the net for pix of beautiful refurbished Kingpins for inspiration.
Old 03-29-18, 07:33 AM
SaxoDave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badmother
I would give my right arm for a Daves Kingpin, congrats!

If you search the net you find plenty of info on refurbishing old SA hubs and you can still get parts for them. Some just fill it up with oil and ride and then change the oil.

You may need new spokes but that is depending on the profile of the new and old rim and the number of X (crosses) of your new build.

Search the net for pix of beautiful refurbished Kingpins for inspiration.
Thanks Badmother. I have seen some really nice Kingpin rebuilds. I intend to aim somewhere in between a restoration and revamp! That’s my intention anyway.
Old 03-29-18, 11:20 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SaxoDave
Thanks Badmother. I have seen some really nice Kingpin rebuilds. I intend to aim somewhere in between a restoration and revamp! That’s my intention anyway.
If you do not want to keep it strictly original but maybe more practical you can weld on the bracket thingy needed to atatch the Brompton luggage block. It is steel after all. I added this mod to two similar steel sikes from the 70`s. One of them I converted to a e-bike.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/778361...57630486971388