Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

I wanna see your offroad touring rigs!

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-12, 08:57 PM
JakeRidesAgain

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Rockhopper Disc, 1979(?) Miyata Grand Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been a bit fascinated with bikepacking lately, and was looking into building myself an offroad 26" touring rig with drop bars and a completely rigid frame. I figured I'd ask around and see what everyone else has put together as an offroad touring bike. Drop bars, flats, whatever you got as long as it rolls through the dirt!
Old 04-10-12, 09:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
this one of mine is made for unpaved road touring,
rather than single track into the bush.
https://www.cyclofiend.com/working/20...clark1008.html

I have lost my need for drop bars with trekking bars.

you can do as you wish.
Old 04-10-12, 10:09 PM
nubcake

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Giant Trance, Felt Breed, Marin SS MTB, Felt Pyre BMX bike, oldschool GT trials bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the bike I am hoping to do some off-road touring on in the near future. I have aspirations of doing the Tour Divide which is more of a bikepacking race than touring and plan to use this bike without the Xtracycle.

Old 04-11-12, 04:55 AM
djyak

Bikes: Cannondale M300 mountain, '72 German Kurfalz touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
this one of mine is made for unpaved road touring,
rather than single track into the bush.
https://www.cyclofiend.com/working/20...clark1008.html

I have lost my need for drop bars with trekking bars.

you can do as you wish.
How do you like your trekking bars for unpaved roads? Any problems with control? Been thinking of them for a while now. I have a raised straight bar, but need more options for hand placement on long rides.
Old 04-11-12, 05:08 AM
VT_Speed_TR

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love my Salsa Fargo for dirt road/off road riding. I load it with some lightweight backpacking gear in dry bags strapped to the front and seatost racks and I'm good to go. Its the first generation, which was designed more as an even split between road and offroad. The current generation has a geometry which allows for a suspension fork and is weighted more for offroad. However, I like mine more after taking a demo ride on the new version. Its a great riding bike and very versatile.

Old 04-11-12, 03:19 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I am using a Giant Iguana from around 1989-90. I don't do heavy off road, mostly fire trails and some single track. I used the Jandd Expedition racks to give me more mounting options, primarily for the front panniers. I have butterfly/trekking bars on mine. I haven't done any tours yet, but I have done a several mile ride along old logging roads and fire cuts(yes I did put the tires on first ), so far I am happy with the general results.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 04-11-12, 06:33 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
This will be my offroad touring rig;

My Origin 8 CX700;

• 48, 36 & 22t triple with a 11-32 nine-speed cassette
• Salsa Woodchipper bars and Tiagra STI Brifters
• 40 spoke Velocity Dyad 29er rims with high flange hubs
• 700x47 Schwalbe Smart Sam

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 04-12-12 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-11-12, 07:17 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Barrett,

Your CX700 is really sweet, man! What rack(s) are you thinking of getting for that rig for your off-road tours?
Old 04-11-12, 07:43 PM
revelo
Wild Horse Country

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thorn Nomad MKII, intended for touring the back roads of Nevada and the Mojave and Sonoran deserts (southern california, western arizona). Hardpack dirt roads if possible, but limited amounts of sandy roads okay. Very little single-track. Max load is 23 liters of water, 7 kilos of food, 6 kgs of camping gear, 3 kg bike tools and spares, 1 kg books and maps:

More details at https://frankrevelo.com/hiking/biking_nomad2012.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
biking_nomad2012_loaded.jpg (41.2 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by revelo; 04-11-12 at 07:50 PM. Reason: fix img
Old 04-11-12, 08:04 PM
tate65
crash survivor

Bikes: C-dale rush, Mountain cycle fury, Monocog 29er, Haro hard tail VX, Scattante R330

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Havn't had the chance to do a full loaded ride, but have ridden several of our MTB trails, used it for over 1000 miles commuting since I got it in Jan. Looking forward to some bike packing/touring. 2012 Fargo 3.
Attached Images
fargo on stairs.jpg (87.9 KB, 88 views)
Old 04-11-12, 08:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have a raised straight bar, but need more options for hand placement on long rides.
djyak, look into Ergon's GC3 grip/bar end combination, that is a really easy swap over ,
you are just changing grips , but the bar ends are a smooth transition ,
1 bolt, hidden, is also holding the grip..

I am OK with the trekking bars , but i'm not the one doing the endless dirt road touring.

Others have.. It's called the World tour for a reason.

in germany you can access Koga Miyata's signature scheme,
they give you a parts pick list , they assemble the components, build a complete bike , racks mudguards Rohloff. Schmidt dyno hub, the works .
You pick it up at the nearest Koga bike shop Dealer.
https://www.koga-signature.com/en

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-11-12 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-11-12, 10:32 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

Homemade frame built for use with the Rohloff Speedhub, meant for day and credit card touring on and off road. (Extended self-supported tours are out for no more reason than that I didn't bother adding serious rack-mounting points - I simply don't have the time for multi-day touring right now.)

The 42mm Grand Boise Hetre tires handle fire roads perfectly, and roll very well on the road as well. The bike gets a little overwhelmed with technical single track - steep downhills on such terrain are an exercise in speed control - but otherwise does everything I expect to do off-road.

Last edited by Six jours; 04-11-12 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-12-12, 04:00 AM
Askel
Perma-n00b

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike that hooked me on the concept:

Got both a Pugsley and a Fargo this winter to do more of such. Fargo for things that sort of resemble roads and the Pugs for things that don't.
Old 04-12-12, 09:47 AM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
So far I've just commuted a little over a thousand miles on this, but I intend to do some overnight camping trips up in the coast range on dirt and closed gravel roads:

Attached Images
6847271099_cfae44c5b6_b.jpg (93.1 KB, 85 views)
Old 04-12-12, 12:36 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by Chris Pringle
Barrett,

Your CX700 is really sweet, man! What rack(s) are you thinking of getting for that rig for your off-road tours?
The Blackburn MTF-1 Front Rack works perfectly with the Surly Cross Check fork: https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=45615

The Blackburn EX-1 Disc Rear Rack makes up for the lack of usable eyes near the axle. The rack & fender eyes on the CX700 frame are midway between the axle and the Cantilever bosses, making them useless. See photo below.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=45609

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 04-12-12, 03:41 PM
pasopia

Bikes: soma double cross DC, giant reign

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a big thread running on mtbr:

https://forums.mtbr.com/bikepacking-b...ut-765533.html
Old 04-12-12, 04:55 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
The Blackburn MTF-1 Front Rack works perfectly with the Surly Cross Check fork: https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=45615

The Blackburn EX-1 Disc Rear Rack makes up for the lack of usable eyes near the axle. The rack & fender eyes on the CX700 frame are midway between the axle and the Cantilever bosses, making them useless. See photo below.
You're quite perceptive! I looked at your bike yesterday and wondered how you'd install a rear rack given the funky dropout configuration. I wasn't sure where the rack eyelets were. I'm glad you found some viable rack solutions though. In spite of this design slip, I really dig the bike!
Old 04-13-12, 04:19 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Chris Pringle
You're quite perceptive! I looked at your bike yesterday and wondered how you'd install a rear rack given the funky dropout configuration. I wasn't sure where the rack eyelets were. I'm glad you found some viable rack solutions though. In spite of this design slip, I really dig the bike!
Yes, It's the only design flaw in the frame. The fork, however, should be replaced with a Surly LHT disc fork or a Surly Cross Check fork if you run Cantilevers.

The bike is perfect for damaged gravel paths or 50/50 on-pavement/off-road touring.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 04-13-12 at 04:42 AM.
Old 04-13-12, 08:24 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by JakeRidesAgain
I've been a bit fascinated with bikepacking lately, and was looking into building myself an offroad 26" touring rig with drop bars and a completely rigid frame. I figured I'd ask around and see what everyone else has put together as an offroad touring bike. Drop bars, flats, whatever you got as long as it rolls through the dirt!
I know it's cool to be 'Old School' but take it from someone who has actually toured 'old school', rigid isn't the way to go. I did a 300+ mile tour through Colorado in 1986 on a Miyata Ridge Runner on jeep roads and dirt roads. The pounding that you put yourself through isn't worth the coolness factor. I got the feeling back in my hands about 6 weeks after the 5 day tour ended.

I've done other tours (less ambitious) since then and, at the very least, front suspension is truly a blessing. It cuts down on the vibration (which leads to the numbness) and increases your control. The last thing you want to happen on a fully loaded bike is to catch a wheel on a rut. Front suspension helps greatly in those situations because the wheel rides up and out of the rut instead of being caught in it and throwing you to the ground.

I don't have pictures from my latest off-road tour...my daughter removed the batteries from the camera and didn't replace them But these are examples of what I use now.

The Moots (slightly different configuration now) is almost ideal. The rear suspension isn't all that sophisticated but it does take the edge off of rear wheel hits. Here's the bike, naked, and with a trailer attached.

I don't like trailers but the bike is easier to ride off-road with a trailer than with front and rear panniers (as I did in 1986).

This picture just shows the trailer that I use a bit better.

I now have Revelate design bags (haven't used them yet) that will work with either the Moots or this bike.

This bike has an advantage over the Moots in that there is absolutely no bob in the suspension until I need it. I can lock the front out for pavement sections and the rear is naturally locked out until it's needed. The fork can be shortened as well so that the bike is a bit less laid back for pavement travel.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-13-12, 08:27 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
BMC frame and miscellaneous parts bought online on taobao (chinese ebay).
Attached Images
Picture 116.jpg (99.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 04-13-12, 11:10 AM
JakeRidesAgain

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Rockhopper Disc, 1979(?) Miyata Grand Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know it's cool to be 'Old School' but take it from someone who has actually toured 'old school', rigid isn't the way to go. I did a 300+ mile tour through Colorado in 1986 on a Miyata Ridge Runner on jeep roads and dirt roads. The pounding that you put yourself through isn't worth the coolness factor. I got the feeling back in my hands about 6 weeks after the 5 day tour ended.

I've done other tours (less ambitious) since then and, at the very least, front suspension is truly a blessing. It cuts down on the vibration (which leads to the numbness) and increases your control. The last thing you want to happen on a fully loaded bike is to catch a wheel on a rut. Front suspension helps greatly in those situations because the wheel rides up and out of the rut instead of being caught in it and throwing you to the ground.
I appreciate the advice, and will heed it. Honestly, that wasn't something I'd thought of, and my hands have a total tendency to go numb, so I'm glad you brought it up. I still want to go as low tech as possible, this is doubling as a blogging project and (long story short) the bike is designed to be simple to use and repair after an apocalypse. But in the mean time, I guess I'll take my creature comforts where I can get them.
Old 04-13-12, 02:38 PM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my Vaya on the GDMBRoute, just above Salida, CO

Old 04-14-12, 08:05 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Here is my dual purpose touring bike. I haven't taken it off road for an overnighter yet, but have something planned for later in the summer. I changed to thumbies and interrupter levers since these photos.

Marc
Old 04-14-12, 08:25 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Nothing fancy here. I use my Giant XTC 2 and now pull an Extrawheel Voyager behind it. Prior to that I pulled a BOB Ibex behind it.

Andrew
Old 04-14-12, 09:52 AM
revelo
Wild Horse Country

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I would disagree. Both my recent tours were mostly on dirt roads in the Nevada and Southern California deserts and mountains. These roads were often severely washboarded and otherwise bumpy and the tours were much longer than your tours (25 days/853 miles, 21 days/800 miles, not counting zero days). On the first tour, I used a front-suspension mountain bike and hated the suspension, even after tightening the springs up as much as possible, because it interfered with steering on sandy patches. Because the suspension smooths out the surface, I wasn't able to feel precisely when the bike hit sand. On the second tour, I used a rigid front fork and this gave me a more precise feeling of the ground, so that I stalled less often. (Photo of the Thorn Nomad I used on the second tour above.)

The way I avoid hand numbness is to raise the handlebars above the saddle so there isn't so much weight on my hands. Also, I occasionally sit even more upright and hold the handlebars with my fingertips if my hands do get sore after a long stretch of washboarded road.

I seldom encountered ruts, but sandy spots are common. You just have to learn to deal with the bike stalling now and then. Don't wear clip-ins or toe-clips. Rather, use BMX pedals so your feet will slide off when the bike hits a patch of sand and comes to a sudden halt. And make sure to have plenty of standover height. As for big rocks, just get off the bike and push when the road is full of these, as it sometimes was on my tours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.