Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Headache after riding?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Headache after riding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-15, 01:40 PM
pressed001
glorified 5954

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by DBrown9383
Do you have a nagging wife?.. Sometimes after I go for a long ride my wife is upset that I was gone so long and not at home doing yard work and I'll get a headache from the bickering.
Ha!

I think we should keep this simple guys. I mean, it could be that his left shoe is tied too tightly, causing an avalanche effect... Or not.
I would stick to the blood pressure idea. I would also say that you are over-hydrating unless you sweat buckets. 500mg of Aspirin after (only after!) the rides may also be a solution. The Aspirin will open up your blood vessels, drop your blood pressure, and help to get more nutrients where they are needed. Perhaps try the Salt thing that i previously suggested if the Aspirin and drinking not excessivly dont help.
As for the coffee thing: i am a die hard coffee drinker. Never do i drink before riding. Never had a problem.
This post took forever to write using my phone with autocorrect for German! Next time I use the laptop!
Old 09-21-15, 02:00 PM
nobodyhere
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pressed001
Ha!

I think we should keep this simple guys. I mean, it could be that his left shoe is tied too tightly, causing an avalanche effect... Or not.
I would stick to the blood pressure idea. I would also say that you are over-hydrating unless you sweat buckets. 500mg of Aspirin after (only after!) the rides may also be a solution. The Aspirin will open up your blood vessels, drop your blood pressure, and help to get more nutrients where they are needed. Perhaps try the Salt thing that i previously suggested if the Aspirin and drinking not excessivly dont help.
As for the coffee thing: i am a die hard coffee drinker. Never do i drink before riding. Never had a problem.
This post took forever to write using my phone with autocorrect for German! Next time I use the laptop!
I would guess that you probably have a headache after writing this post in German on your cell phone. Solutions likely include - as per your suggestion - using an English laptop.
Old 09-21-15, 06:32 PM
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j
I had a touch of a headache after that ride, as well, but I didn't notice it until I got back to the house about 45 minutes or so after the ride. After a couple of aspirin and some food, my headache was gone. Mine, if I get them, usually occur after a long (for me) effort, and they vary in intensity from just noticeable to noticeable (but not bad). I looked for you Friday afternoon and Saturday but did not see you.
Generally they're not debilitating, but usually above minor annoyance stage. Sounds kinda like what you describe.

I was there briefly Friday between about 4:15 and 4:30. I didn't hang around for dinner, getting there that early. Saturday, I got there about 6:25, then I got back sometime around or a little before 11 AM.
Old 09-21-15, 06:34 PM
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tg16
Could there be a sinus relationship. How are you breathing? I don't know what the usual humidity level is in your location, but when I'm exposed to a good deal less humidity, especially when riding or running, I sometimes experience a headache.
Low humidity isn't a problem we have often, unfortunately. It was probably in the 90%+ range when we started, probably 45% at lowest when I finished.
Old 09-21-15, 06:38 PM
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DBrown9383
Do you have a nagging wife?.. Sometimes after I go for a long ride my wife is upset that I was gone so long and not at home doing yard work and I'll get a headache from the bickering.
Not in the slightest! In fact, she's always encouraging me to get out and ride. ...hang on a minute, maybe she's...

I'm leaning toward slight dehydration, in the absence of anything else, but I'll try to keep better track next time.

Thanks all.
Old 09-21-15, 06:59 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
My thoughts - dehydration OR diluting of electrolytes OR a lot of sucrose consumed. Gatoraid has sucrose and is not very well formulated. You might try Vitalyte (REI on-line). It contains no sucrose and is very well formulated. (The large cans of powder will make up 40 waterbottles and costs around $18.) Not bad for good stuff that works.

Ben
Old 09-21-15, 07:11 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Headaches are very common for me, both 30+ years ago when I bike commuted and again recently when I took up short distance cycling again. It's primarily due to neck and back strain from a damaged C2 vertebrae. But I've also experienced migraines and cluster headaches all my life (there's an entire thread just on this topic elsewhere on the forums from other cyclists who've experienced the same challenges).

I take a lot of ibuprofen, including just before rides. Probably too much - usually 400-800mg a day - but there really aren't any alternatives. Aspirin and acetaminophen are ineffective. Prescription meds are effective but I dislike the grogginess and these are becoming increasingly difficult to get anyway as even relatively mild prescription pain meds are being rescheduled.

And I use a lot of topical analgesic creams - also potentially problematic. Some folks may experience more sun sensitivity and sunburns from topical salicylates. In rare cases some folks may also experience salicylate poisoning from topical use.

So far I haven't experienced any debilitating headaches during rides since I began cycling again three weeks ago. Decades ago I had to pull out of some long distance rides and finish the trips in the sag wagon with a migraine. The worst I've experienced the past three weeks have been some transient spasms that are pretty painful for up to a minute. I just pull over, sit down and do some stretches and wait it out. The worst spasm was actually kinda funny - it happened in the middle of a narrow bike/pedestrian trail bridge. My right shoulder and neck suddenly seized up and I veered right, scraping the side rail of the bridge yelping in pain. The oncoming cyclist probably wondered what the hell was happening, or maybe he knew exactly what happened. I'm just grateful it wasn't the left side. The right side muscle spasms pull me off the road rather than into traffic. Probably best if I avoid cycling in the UK.

Last edited by canklecat; 09-21-15 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Typo fix.
Old 09-22-15, 08:28 AM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lphilpot
Low humidity isn't a problem we have often, unfortunately. It was probably in the 90%+ range when we started, probably 45% at lowest when I finished.
Then you may want to rethink humidity variation? Also, as we learned running, form and posture could be a factor.
Old 09-22-15, 08:36 PM
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tg16
Then you may want to rethink humidity variation? Also, as we learned running, form and posture could be a factor.
Just noticed you're from BTR. I'm in the Alexandria area (Pineville), so we're pretty close on climate. I'm accustomed to high humidity (living here as many years as I have, unfortunately), but I still don't like it. When in far west Texas on one of my frequent trips there, I had no problems at all with riding in single-digit humidity. Prefer it, in fact. Riding in the west Texas mountains? Another matter. But as you said, form and posture could be a factor, too.
Old 09-23-15, 10:13 AM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lphilpot
Just noticed you're from BTR. I'm in the Alexandria area (Pineville), so we're pretty close on climate. I'm accustomed to high humidity (living here as many years as I have, unfortunately), but I still don't like it. When in far west Texas on one of my frequent trips there, I had no problems at all with riding in single-digit humidity. Prefer it, in fact. Riding in the west Texas mountains? Another matter. But as you said, form and posture could be a factor, too.
I lived in El Paso for years and used to get up to Albuquerque frequently. When I let my form and posture get sloppy during exercise, I pay for it with an aching muscle. I can see how tensing up the neck muscles when riding a road bike could lead to headache.
Old 09-25-15, 08:31 PM
gtweath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also get headaches, usually after longish (50+ miles) rides, especially during hotter weather. They occur several hours after the ride. Have for years. I can't pin down the reason, but don't seem to have any kind of lasting health issues, so I don't worry about it.
Old 09-26-15, 07:36 AM
MMLC
Lanterne Rogue

Bikes: '02 Bianchi Strada, '01 Specialized Rockhopper, '02 Specialized Sirrus A1 Pro, 70's Fuji road bike, '15 Diamondback Apex Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditch the Gatorade and drink water. The reason I say this is it sounds like you are dehydrating but not for lack of fluid, more like lack of absorption. Let me explain; I used to work in a steel mill in Texas, in the summer it was beyond hot in the mill. The company supplied Gatorade and I would drink around a gallon or more in an 8 hour shift. After my shift I would promptly puke all that Gatorade up and have severe muscle cramps. Think about it, your stomach is a muscle. Come to find out the sugar in Gatorade actually slows fluid absorption, so I was dehydrating even though my stomach was bloated with Gatorade. For 2 hours of exertion you are much better off with plain water. I drank water for my 8 hour shifts and suffered no effects of dehydration after I figured out Gatorade was not my friend.

Last edited by MMLC; 09-26-15 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-27-15, 08:29 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
My vote is the Gatorade too. That seems to be the one difference on the headache days, other than the biking itself. The fact it comes on sometime later after the ride sorta indicates to me it isn't related to the riding itself necessarily but more a reaction to something.
It would be simple to determine by doing some rides without Gatorade but using water only. No headaches would indicated Gatorade being the culprit.
If you feel you need some type electrolytes maybe try something different like Nuun tablets.
Old 09-27-15, 11:27 AM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Big Dam Bridge 100 yesterday, 101 miles. Kept up with hydration, fuel, and electrolytes. No headache.

Based on 103 miles and mild headache a week ago, I'm leaning toward electrolytes, but who knows.

Last edited by doctor j; 09-27-15 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-27-15, 11:39 AM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the rule of thumb I was told by my sports Dr.: If you don't pee within 30 minutes of the end of your ride, your not drinking enough. Over 50's need to be careful about dehydration. Not my words, his.
Old 09-27-15, 12:00 PM
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
My vote is the Gatorade too. That seems to be the one difference on the headache days, other than the biking itself.
Actually, I drink Gatorade every ride. As I intially stated, headaches are not rare but not in the majority, either. For example, I took a shorter 25 mile ride yesterday, no headache. Nothing else was really different. Last Saturday when I had a headache, I drank Gatorade but also significantly more water than usual since it was a supported ride, and water was available. Go figure.
Old 09-27-15, 01:12 PM
decosse

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Vita Sport, 2014 Lapierre Sensium

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I just got back from a ride and we were discussing this very thing. I get bad headaches about 2-3 hours after riding. A fellow on the ride does, too. We both think it is a delayed reaction to tension and pain in our shoulders and neck. We both moved from hybrids to road bikes in the last 9 months, but used to get them on long rides on the hybrids, too. We both have had our bikes professionally fitted, so it seems to be that whatever position we ride in will trigger it. The muscles on my upper back/shoulders (trapezius?) tighten after the ride and I believe that is the cause. The cervical area at the base of the skull downward seems to be the origin. We have been told that as the muscles holding our heads up will get used to it, and practice using abs more to hold weight. Being conscious of our riding posture is important as well. All being easier said than done.

Forgive the TMI, but I wear strapless or tube brassieres all the time because the tension from the straps triggers migraines. I've been trying to take aspirin after rides and do neck stretches with mixed results. A ride of 10-15 miles, no matter heat or intensity never causes one, 25+ does. If anyone can recommend options, I'd be glad to hear them as well.
Old 09-27-15, 05:37 PM
HtownTREK

Bikes: TREK EMONDA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very low grade head aches sometimes after longer rides. Yep and it's my own damn fault. I'm well hydrated and will continue to drink on the drive home. I'm FULL from all the liquid and then I get side tracked doing weekend chores and I still haven't eaten. I'm in calorie deficit already so it's like my body sends me a gentle reminder not to neglect refueling. A good meal (not burger and fries) and about 20 minutes problem solved.