Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Music Status?

Old 04-20-19, 11:32 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I love the Czech Republic. Been there several times for beer, touring and cycling. Classical music is their thing. I found this same track on Tidal/Roon. She is fantastic. It is lacking the visual, but sounds much better - esp with the Sony headphones (listening now).

You are a SoCal guy - ping me and give me your opinion on my setup (in person). Some things to work out still. I can show you some bike stuff too that may/may not be interesting. A lot was tossed out last year.

Still, while I can hear the the talent, for actual listening the studio technicians are seriously underrated. Really good recordings are hard to find. Distortion and noise abounds.

I have that CD. Excellent performance.

If you are not familiar with it, check out Rachmaninoff's piano and cello sonata. The video below is so so but I heard Manny Ax and Yo Yo Ma perform in many years ago and they were fantastic. Look for their rendition. BTW, the piano piece is within my technical capability if you have the cello part covered.

Old 04-21-19, 11:20 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Not to say no to you @Doge, but check out rule 1J6, and 8A1(L) in the USAC rulebook. "USE OF A MOBILE PHONE OR AUDIO EN-TERTAINMENT DEVICE DURING RACE" - Results in a DSQ.
@Ttoc6 I appreciate you looking this up for me, and you are welcome to find more rule clarification.
U23 is under UCI. USAC rules should not apply.
This is an ITT and one that allows follow cars and follow cars with PA's and speakers are typical UCI TT things all the time. For a long time UCI allowed radio devices USAC did not. The USAC radios are a recent thing.
Is it cheating if everyone is doing it? Sorry - had to add that. It is allowed - UCI: 2.4.029 "Megaphones or loud-hailers may be used."
We also know an earpiece is allowed.
2.2.024 C exempts the time trial from radio and audio rules.
I cannot find the UCI rules on this that are as clear as the "Audio playback devices are expressly forbidden in all disciplines and categories" of 1J6
Might a USAC official think 1J6 should apply - sure. It not the 1st time a comment is made by an official on the start line.
UCI says "a secure communications and information system (the Ģearpieceģ) is authorised and may be used for safety reasons and to assist riders under the following conditions"
Music assists the rider as does telling them when to attack, their time etc. Nothing mentioned (that I found) about playback of things being recorded.
The rules only say "(the Ģearpieceģ)" for clarification as it is not a system and while going into the wattage of the radio, distance and secure channel, say nothing about how it is used.
Old 05-08-19, 06:20 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Music status is still working on Gershwin and Debussy plus drills. This stuff takes forever.

I was listening to a Tiffany Poon video on site reading. She says it hurts her head to read complex music for the first time. I thought I was the only one. It is not a lot of solace to hear that prodigy Chinese professional pianists struggle with hard music since it does not make it any easier. It is just hard.

In sports, it is clear that high level performance belongs to the juniors and elites. What is somewhat interesting is that is not always the case in music. Here is a Beethoven Piano Concerto (Emperor) that is done by Arthur Rubinstein at age 88 with the Jerusalem Symphony. The Emperor is one of my favorites and if I could ever do a concerto with a symphony it would be this one. Rubinstein just kills this concerto and does not make a mistake (that I can hear). His neurology and mental toughness are off the charts plus fantastic interpretation of the music. What a great talent. The recording is not great so if you like the Emperor, there are other much better quality tracks on the market. My favorite movement is the last one. The last time I heard this piece was in London many years ago.

Likes For Hermes:
Old 06-06-19, 10:14 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Just got home from seeing Dillon Francis. Not my first choice on genre but tickets were extremly cheap and I could walk to the amphitheatre to the concert. Skipped the openers (thunderstroms delayed start and I didn't care about two local djs).

Anyways, he basically just played his set from EDC in vegas a couple of weeks ago.. which I pre-listened to at work to reacquaint myself with his music. So kinda a bummer. Still a fun time head banging and hanging out in crowds of people.

Old 06-07-19, 08:28 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
@Ttoc6 Nice! Still sounds like a good set; but yeah he's kinda a second tier guy. My days of going to edm shows are probably done after my wife caught a bunch of women groping me.
Old 06-07-19, 09:11 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by furiousferret
@Ttoc6 Nice! Still sounds like a good set; but yeah he's kinda a second tier guy. My days of going to edm shows are probably done after my wife caught a bunch of women groping me.
Little bit of a humble brag

But for real this concert was a bit different than others I've been to. Less drug use and people weren't really packing it in like I've seen.Maybe it's just because it's a small town concert. Not complaining, just a point of note

I'm going to see armin van Buren in Oakland in a few weeks. That should be a full on party
Old 06-07-19, 10:11 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Can you guys please explain the appeal of these DJ's? I mean, I see that they dabble in making some music, but most of the stuff they play is other people's music, no? So why are they obtaining this exalted status? Royksopp or Planet Funk are understandable, because it's their music. But these guys?
Old 06-07-19, 11:56 AM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Can you guys please explain the appeal of these DJ's? I mean, I see that they dabble in making some music, but most of the stuff they play is other people's music, no? So why are they obtaining this exalted status? Royksopp or Planet Funk are understandable, because it's their music. But these guys?
To each his own but I see EDM as kind of a modern classical genre, at least the good stuff. Its also very broad; technically NIN is EDM, and an argument can be made New Order is as well. I will say that over the past 3 years it has been popularized and gutted by pop; it used to be vocals where an element of the sound but now most popular EDM is vocal dominated. Once artists like Zedd, Marshmello, and Calvin Harris started making millions producing pop songs with an EDM sound that killed the genre. I guess its better for them to push out content with Selena Gomez and Ariana Grande and make 10x what they did.

Artists like Eric Prydz, Deadmau5, and Porter Robinson are much better; but their stuff has really been pushed to the wayside the past few years.
Old 06-07-19, 01:32 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
To each his own but I see EDM as kind of a modern classical genre, at least the good stuff. Its also very broad; technically NIN is EDM, and an argument can be made New Order is as well. I will say that over the past 3 years it has been popularized and gutted by pop; it used to be vocals where an element of the sound but now most popular EDM is vocal dominated. Once artists like Zedd, Marshmello, and Calvin Harris started making millions producing pop songs with an EDM sound that killed the genre. I guess its better for them to push out content with Selena Gomez and Ariana Grande and make 10x what they did.

Artists like Eric Prydz, Deadmau5, and Porter Robinson are much better; but their stuff has really been pushed to the wayside the past few years.
I think we are pretty much in agreement. I really like EDM (or as I used to call it, Electronica, unless that is technically different). I just don't get why the guys playing other people's music are getting more attention than those that actually made the music. I'd rather see the aforementioned Royksopp in concert and have them pause between songs, than have a DJ just play their stuff and mix one song into the next.

And of course mainstream pop has started to loot the EDM world: they are generally devoid of ideas and looking to "borrow" from what is hot right now and pushing the envelope.

Also, since this is Bike Forums, how about Kraftwerk Tour de France? Not much of this newer stuff can even compete with that.
Old 06-07-19, 10:35 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Echoing what's said above..

The line between producer and DJ has been blurred pretty heavily. There are still djs, but not many big name producers that dont stand on stage and press play on a laptop to collect huge appearance fees.

Edm is about finding the genre you like best and diving in. I'm not really into super bassy, dubsteppy music. I listen to mostly trance. From there you can dive into psy trance, 138bpm, vocal, uplifting etc and really refine your taste. It's a big wide world of sounds that build on top of years of history to get to where we are today in the dance music scene.

For just a taste of this, watch the "amen break" video on YouTube. Quite an incredible piece of music history in one lecture.

While I enjoy the poppy stuff ocassionally, I do see the trend of pop music in the last year or two straying away from the "edm" sound and picking up more vibes from kpop and even older country. That Taylor's swift song that got popular "look what you made me do" sounds extremely similar to kpop to me. Billie Eilish has been getting a lot of media attention recently(deservedly) and her sound is totally unique.
Old 06-12-19, 11:51 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked 3,082 Times in 1,632 Posts
I've had "as long as your love me" by the Backstreet Boys stuck in my head since Sunday afternoon. Honestly, I don't mind.I've had "as long as your love me" by the Backstreet Boys stuck in my head since Sunday afternoon. Honestly, I don't mind.
Old 06-12-19, 01:09 PM
furiousferret

Sorry TMonk, not going to happen. I have enough bad songs that get stuck in my head. For some odd reason, a ton of them are the Bee Gees and Doobie Brothers songs, both of which I despise.

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
I think we are pretty much in agreement. I really like EDM (or as I used to call it, Electronica, unless that is technically different). I just don't get why the guys playing other people's music are getting more attention than those that actually made the music. I'd rather see the aforementioned Royksopp in concert and have them pause between songs, than have a DJ just play their stuff and mix one song into the next.

And of course mainstream pop has started to loot the EDM world: they are generally devoid of ideas and looking to "borrow" from what is hot right now and pushing the envelope.

Also, since this is Bike Forums, how about Kraftwerk Tour de France? Not much of this newer stuff can even compete with that.
I used to love that song when I was a kid. I listened to some of their other stuff but that ones a classic.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 06-30-19, 10:07 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Saw one of the legends of dance music in concert last night. Such a fun show! Armin has been a part of my musical taste forever. My dad introduced me to this music when i was young and I bought him a ticket / flight down to Oakland so we could see the show together. It was his first big edm show and I think it was a big success.

Likes For Ttoc6:
Old 06-30-19, 04:40 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

@TMonk I came across this video clip on youtube. Chopin: Impossible Love The movie is available on Amazon Prime Video. Piano by Manny Axe and cello by Yo Yo Ma. Watching it tonight with the wife. Looks interesting and some great music.

This is a very heady party scene in Paris with Liszt and Chopin as guests. I love the passing of the paper note. In this clip, Liszt plays Chopin's Revolutionary Etude, Chopin plays a couple of pieces and etc.

I was inspired and I am starting Liebestraum. I found this version by Lang Lang and I like it a lot. Although, I think a couple of sections he plays way too fast but it seems to work for him.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...df&action=view
Old 06-30-19, 05:11 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked 3,082 Times in 1,632 Posts
Aha! I heard the heroic polonaise in there . Cool clip, will have to check out the movie with the lady at some point. Also, there's a simple (posthumous) waltz at the end of the clip that I enjoy playing - I have that one committed to memory.

Also, thanks for the Lang Lang version of Liebestraum there - that was great. It is certainly faster than other versions, but I still feel like he plays it delecately. A true master. I saw him years ago with my mother at Copley hall, featuring a Rachmaninoff concierto - I forget which.

Now I will have to dig up Tiffany Poon's Liebestraum and see which I like more
Old 07-01-19, 07:10 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I will give the Chopin movie a meh. Great music / dark and sad story. Real life.
Old 07-01-19, 07:21 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Here is another performance of Liebestraum by Rubinstein. IMO, he has been the gold standard. It is interesting to see the difference of interpretation between the artists. Highly emotional piece.

Old 07-15-19, 04:55 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I was watching youtube the other night and saw these videos. This one is for @doge. Tiffany is a bit awkward at the speaking part but kills the piano playing but the upshot is she played a Rachmaninoff piece with a famous cellist using period instruments and then the same piece with modern equipment. It is all explained in the video. You can fast forward to the interesting parts. I thought you might enjoy it and see if you can hear the difference.

For @tmonk , I found a performance by a woman of the Military Polonaise that was just flawless. She just slays this. I could only dream about playing it that well. I would fly to Europe for a masters class from her....

Old 07-19-19, 05:01 PM
Doge

@Hermes - yup, you got me geek number. I used to play violin on wire wrapped gut and can remember the more mellow sound.
If I've learned anything in my short pretend audiophile life it is location, location, location...the room that makes a huge difference.

My biggest hit on that track (besides the social media part) is the 1st room is a bit too bright and echo filled for me. I was typing this without looking at the video and noticed the sound then improved. I looked up and saw the brick cavern room. The ceiling is much less reflective and the walls are farther away. The cello with a wood wall behind is not ideal. They should have hung a rug on it. I think the 1st room was on gut, cavern on steel. But I believe the room was a bigger deal than the string material.

Now she confirmed the instruments I heard - this is a room thing. I prefer the Steinway on steel. I think I'd prefer the gut in the basement.
Old 07-19-19, 05:23 PM
Doge

On the BF topic I have always enjoyed hand made, customer stuff. Sometimes it is not as good as machine made, sometimes it is better. I always love it. Junior grew up on made for him FMB tubulars.
I'm now doing that in audio. It is not always more expensive. It is a risk you think you don't get with a big brand. My desk system is a big brand. This system is 25% of big brand price made by quite an interesting guy (German S African with Australian wife who lives in Tucson - I think I have that right). Buy a factory brand and you don't get to talk to the person wiring your system. I know properly engineered and produced (I was on the engineering side and would come check out the production work - they hated me) that does not make a difference, but it is fun.

So this is my build (by Holger, Erhard Audio - Vacuum Tube Amp, Vacuum Tube Design, Tube Sound) of a new class A/B push Pull tube amp. I had him add a Pentode/Triode switch (purple). I'm making sure it is wired correctly :-)

I hope I get it next week. Been waiting a few months.

Last edited by Doge; 07-19-19 at 05:27 PM.
Likes For Doge:
Old 07-21-19, 09:30 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

At first, I thought you, @Doge ,were building the amp from a kit. If I understand correctly, a third party is building the amp for you from a kit. Is that correct? I am probably one of the few people who know what a class A/B push pull amplifier is and its advantages alone with digital versus analog technology's pros and cons.

As a kid, age 10-12, I was very interested in communications. I built my own shortwave radios from schematics in handbooks such as the American Radio Relay League Manual including winding my own coils for different frequencies. I studied for and obtained my General classification amateur license at age 11 to operate a transmitter and talk on the airwaves and I designed my own antenna systems. Later, I purchased an older receiver and made some modifications to it by integrating a device into it built from a kit manufacture called Heathkit. They supplied a full line of transmitters and receivers and adjunct kits. I later went to college to study electrical engineering. However, I remember the push pull amplifier stuff from my days studying radio theory in preparation for my general radio license test from decades ago. Go figure.

I am sure that amp is going to be a smoking addition to your setup.

My Sennheiser HD 595 headphones died and I have to replace them. How do you like your Sony headphones.
Old 07-21-19, 11:22 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by Hermes
At first, I thought you, @Doge ,were building the amp from a kit. If I understand correctly, a third party is building the amp for you from a kit. Is that correct? I am probably one of the few people who know what a class A/B push pull amplifier is and its advantages alone with digital versus analog technology's pros and cons.

As a kid, age 10-12, I was very interested in communications. I built my own shortwave radios from schematics in handbooks such as the American Radio Relay League Manual including winding my own coils for different frequencies. I studied for and obtained my General classification amateur license at age 11 to operate a transmitter and talk on the airwaves and I designed my own antenna systems. Later, I purchased an older receiver and made some modifications to it by integrating a device into it built from a kit manufacture called Heathkit. They supplied a full line of transmitters and receivers and adjunct kits. I later went to college to study electrical engineering. However, I remember the push pull amplifier stuff from my days studying radio theory in preparation for my general radio license test from decades ago. Go figure.

I am sure that amp is going to be a smoking addition to your setup.

My Sennheiser HD 595 headphones died and I have to replace them. How do you like your Sony headphones.
I was in the magnetic/electronics/soldering/lots and lots of coils gig as a job most of the 80s (as the engineer/designer). The third party is building, not a kit. His own selection. There are several builders nation wide. Kinda like custom frame builders. I do remember the Heathkit. I was never so much into building electronics/boards/logic. We made specialty solenoids and stepper motors. These were simple in concept, but we existed because mass production stuff could not hold our tolerances. Anyway, I got tired of wire and solder and went software. I have no doubt I could build an amp and no doubt someone that does it often will do it better.

The Sony are good, but I don't have a lot of headphone experience. I got them on sale and bought mostly on reviews. I like speakers better anyway.

PM me when driving by SC and you can checkout the setup.
Old 07-21-19, 02:10 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

@Doge Thanks for the invite. I may drive up and do a San Clemente / Camp Pendleton ride and stop over after or before. Will let you know.

B&O opened a store in La Jolla. I will check out their wireless headphones. I used to have B&O speakers and like their stuff a lot. I am not so sure about the wireless part and if the wireless headphones will connect with my Denon amplifier. Denon says it has bluetooth connectivity. Wireless would be nice versus dragging the wire around the room.
Old 07-21-19, 02:44 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

@doge I know you are a Bach listener. I decided to hire a piano teacher with the goal of learning some new pieces that seem too hard to do on my own. I met with my new teacher last week. I took my music with me, went over my history and played for her.

She loves Bach and playing his music is essential to great technique. My first assignment will be Bach's 15 Two Part Inventions and a Mozart Sonata. And I have to listen to Glen Gould playing Bach.

Have you ever listened to Gould? He is totally amazing. We lost another great talent way too early.

Old 07-21-19, 04:10 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Hermes
@doge I know you are a Bach listener. I decided to hire a piano teacher with the goal of learning some new pieces that seem too hard to do on my own. I met with my new teacher last week. I took my music with me, went over my history and played for her.

She loves Bach and playing his music is essential to great technique. My first assignment will be Bach's 15 Two Part Inventions and a Mozart Sonata. And I have to listen to Glen Gould playing Bach.

Have you ever listened to Gould? He is totally amazing. We lost another great talent way too early.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XCUcZ5KK7Q
I am mostly a stroking the stings guy. I don't know the exact word for that. The combo of a bow and a piano have always gone together.
Anyway, I had not. I am now. There is a lot of his stuff on TIDAL and Qobuz.
Listening to BWV 1014 Glenn Gould and Jaime Laredo.

Back to my amp. It is finished. He needs to add my tubes. I want to do socket head screws over those - ewe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.